Sam's Club Duracell GC2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Is there a consensus on the quality of the 215ah Duracell GC2's sold at Sam's Club? They are regularly $90, but I see there is supposed to be a sale on May 8th.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228?xid=plp_product_2

Trojans, the gold standard of standard golf cart batteries, probably cost 50-75% more. For the price, the Duracells sound great.

David

I haven't bought these golf cart batteries, but had previously bought 2 Duracell AGM's at Sam's for my sailboat. I was very happy with both battery purchases.

Jim

I just bought 8 of them, we'll see. I do plan on using the 12 month warrantee, back then I worked in Boaters World, Boat US, and West Marine stores, we had a few customers who would buy batteries and return them for new just before the 12 months. Probably nothing wrong with them but they always had less than one year old batteries on board. Don't know if Sam's will let me get away with that more than once but I'll try. The Sam's batteries have a few bad reviews, but most say they weren't as good as Rolls. Well, duh, of course they're not. But at half the cost what can you expect?.

Bought Sam's batteries 25 years ago, didn't mistreat them, and they died within a year. Never again. Hopefully, many things have changed since then with their battery quality, but I won't waste my precious time and enrgies there.

I actually use the Duracell GC batteries in my golf cart. In the same cart I have had Trojans, and Costco (interstate) They have all failed after 3 years. Admittedly this is just an observation, the charger is a ferro-resonance type that is on a timer not a 3 stage smart charger. every couple of months I measure the voltage of each battery after using the cart. The delta between the high and low voltage of each battery is about 20 millivolts and has been for each different brand of batteries....So in this limited observation I don't see much difference in battery brands

I go around and around on batteries. I generally buy what I consider to be a very good battery. Interstate deep cycle and starting batteries both. But they have climbed up to almost $150 each. Tough to pass up the Fleet Farm batteries for under $100.Especially when I carry about eight batteries!

pete

Now that practice is downright .......
I just bought 8 of them, we'll see. I do plan on using the 12 month warrantee, back then I worked in Boaters World, Boat US, and West Marine stores, we had a few customers who would buy batteries and return them for new just before the 12 months. Probably nothing wrong with them but they always had less than one year old batteries on board. Don't know if Sam's will let me get away with that more than once but I'll try. The Sam's batteries have a few bad reviews, but most say they weren't as good as Rolls. Well, duh, of course they're not. But at half the cost what can you expect?.

IIRC, they are Johnson Control batteries. They are fine. Not great, but far from terrible. I used them several times in the old boat and they did very well, but now I goto a nearby golfcart store and get NAPA batteries for $100 each. One rule of thumb for batteries like this is the heavier, the better.

I'm a big fan of Sams Club Duracell made by East Penn. Lately I've been using their AGMs and current 8D AGM have served me well for house and thruster banks for 7 seasons.., starting #8. I do have a good multi stage charger set for AGM.
I just took readings after sitting 6 mos on The hard and house were 12.5V- 12.6V and thrusters were 12.75V before hooking back up to charger.
I will not replace w 8Ds but plan on a pair of GP31s for each 8D.
I put 8 GC AGMs in a motorhome a year ago and so far very pleased.

Now that practice is downright .......

I agree...not very honorable.

I just replaced 6 Costco Interstate GCs last month for $600...same price as Sam's. Don't know if they're equivalent but I've been getting 5 years out of mine with a 4 stage smart charger.

I used those batteries for house in my old boat. I sold the boat before they got too old, but they worked good for me and got cycled hard at moorings off Catalina.

Johnson Controls - sold out their battery business

FYI - "Johnson Controls" is no longer in the battery business.

sold out to "Clarios".

Just to give every on TF the latest info on that.

Well, it sports "Made in USA", I would go for them. Likely are East Penn.

What jgwinks is proposing is unethical and just plain wrong. I guess there is no issue with every other customer subsidizing his battery purchases.

Last edited:
Well, it sports "Made in USA", I would go for them. Likely are East Penn.

Duracell are made by East Penn and are a Best Buy IMO.
As others said you can pay 50% - 75% more for "better" batty but I doubt you will come out ahead. I have switched from FLA to AGM but have 11 East Penn / Duracells in service and very happy. Will buy more when current ones age out... 7 seasons so far and still doing well.

I'm on my 4th year with the Sam's duracells. Knock on wood they are still doing great. I do think that their longevity is directly related to the quality of your charger.

"jgwinks", Shame on you. If you can't afford batteries for your boat I don't think you should be boating.

You probably have Menards paint on your boat, Poly line for your tie ups, Fleet Farm fenders, a "tractor supply tarp for your Bimini and winter cover, Chinese tools in your toolbox, Romex for your wiring, a cement block for your anchor (and your head)

pete

Duracell batteries are just fine. Made by East Penn. Are they as "good", defined as well-constructed, as East Penn's Deka line? Probably. The difference is in the amount of lead inside the case. Duracell has less lead. That means they will not last quite as long, similarly used, nor have as many Ah. On a per amp-hour cost, perhaps the Duracell is less expensive. I do not know. I prefer to pay for the extra amphours. The annualized cost difference 6-8 years is very small but everyone's bank account differs. Also, if one is getting ready to sell the boat in a year or two, the Duracell may be a better choice. Not for me though in any circumstance. I want the amphours.

Back
Top Bottom