Radar wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easternshore

Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Beneteau Flyer 12
Ready to install a Raymarine rd424hd dome on my radar arch, will use 8” radar mount for clearance. My question is how to run the cable. The plug at either end is approx 3/4” in diameter and I really don’t want to drill such a large hole in the 1 1/2” diameter arch tubing or am I overreacting about the size? Also not sure about getting the plug around the 90° elbow as it’s is about 1 1/2“ long and solid.
Boat has a canvas top so no wire raceway. IMG_8659.jpg
Thanks

I has been a few years since I installed my Raymarine radar and it only had a plug on the MFD end. The radar end had, if I remember correctly, bare wires for the power and maybe a small connector that carries the date. It went through a fairly small hole. Does one end come off the cable?

I has been a few years since I installed my Raymarine radar and it only had a plug on the MFD end. The radar end had, if I remember correctly, bare wires for the power and maybe a small connector that carries the date. It went through a fairly small hole. Does one end come off the cable?

Thanks Comodave, neither end looks as if they’re removable, one goes to the dome is about 2” long, the other end has theIMG_8691.JPG Raytalk plug.

Yes, I think that is what I have. I ran it from the dome down to the MFD. I don’t remember the hole size I drilled though. This one was 2 boats ago.

I just finished doing this. I pulled my cables from the radar dome down to my raymarine MFD. I used a 3/4 hole for both cables. The data cable that has the factory ends on both sides was fed into the hole first. After about 18inches of the data cable was pulled towards the MFD, I taped the open 12vdc power cable on to the data cable. Put a rubber/plastic bushing on your metal arch where the wires penetrate so they don’t get nicked. Btw, would be much easier with an extra set of hands.

Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom