Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
Member
 
City: Canada
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Mastervolt where to buy?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to buy Mastervolt products that offers the right balance of cost vs service?

Not looking for the “Cheap and on your own, no after sales support” option.

Also not looking for the “List price” but we support you option either.

Would anyone have had issues with either marine warehouse or citi marine out of Miami?
__________________
Advertisement

Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,533
I've bought stuff (not Mastervolt) from Marine Warehouse, no issues but you are not going to get any product support from them.

This is one reason I've switched mostly to Victron, both build good stuff but Victron is much more widely distributed in North America. In the last 10 years Victron has developed a more extensive ecosystem of products as well. If you are buying Victron PKYS is a good place - good prices and knowledgable.
__________________

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Member
 
City: Canada
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
My main reason for staying with Mastervolt (Besides the fact the boat already has Mastervolt) is that we plan to travel extensively outside North America. Finding Mastervolt around the world for a 50hz boat (We don’t plan on converting to 60hz) should be easier than in the US.

Option for option, the Mass Combi Ultra 24/3500 charger inverters also seem to have more to offer than Victron but I agree, both are good reliable products.

Marine warehouse was by far the cheapest but as I suspected, might lack support.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I've bought stuff (not Mastervolt) from Marine Warehouse, no issues but you are not going to get any product support from them.

This is one reason I've switched mostly to Victron, both build good stuff but Victron is much more widely distributed in North America. In the last 10 years Victron has developed a more extensive ecosystem of products as well. If you are buying Victron PKYS is a good place - good prices and knowledgable.
Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,533
I have all Mastervolt in one boat and all Victron in the other. Both are good. Marine Warehouse mainly seems to drop ship stuff from manufacturers, so they may have never seen a Mastervolt product. The Mastervolt stuff was installed in my sailboat in Toronto, purchased by the builder through distribution - but I had to figure everything out by myself, no local expertise.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Member
 
City: Canada
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
That’s my one major concern, with limited distribution fining very knowledgeable installers for Mastervolt will be challenging. I was considering hiring a company to do all the engineering and drawings for the local installer to follow. Benefit is having that information when travelling so any good marine electrician around the world can figure out the system.

Considering Pacific Yacht Systems to design the upgrades. Then I would not have to rely on support from a wholesaler as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I have all Mastervolt in one boat and all Victron in the other. Both are good. Marine Warehouse mainly seems to drop ship stuff from manufacturers, so they may have never seen a Mastervolt product. The Mastervolt stuff was installed in my sailboat in Toronto, purchased by the builder through distribution - but I had to figure everything out by myself, no local expertise.
Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,417
West Marine is a big Mastervolt house, that's pretty wide distribution in the US. Pricey though, I'm sure. Defender sells it too, probably the right combination of "support" and price. What kind of support are you looking for that Mastervolt doesn't provide?
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Member
 
City: Canada
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
West marine is certainly an option but was not my first choice. In fact they were who I had in mind for the expensive end.... but certainly do have support.

I deal daily with dealers and reps who represent HVAC and plumbing vendors. It’s having that local or reoccurring relationship that solves 90% of my issues without relying on a help desk.

As a result I build up a trust with them. Now I’m only willing to equate so much $$$ with support they are suppose to have but I also know it takes more profit to afford really good people.

So ideally somewhere between Marine Warehouse and West Marine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
West Marine is a big Mastervolt house, that's pretty wide distribution in the US. Pricey though, I'm sure. Defender sells it too, probably the right combination of "support" and price. What kind of support are you looking for that Mastervolt doesn't provide?
Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless66 View Post
West marine is certainly an option but was not my first choice. In fact they were who I had in mind for the expensive end.... but certainly do have support.

I deal daily with dealers and reps who represent HVAC and plumbing vendors. It’s having that local or reoccurring relationship that solves 90% of my issues without relying on a help desk.

As a result I build up a trust with them. Now I’m only willing to equate so much $$$ with support they are suppose to have but I also know it takes more profit to afford really good people.

So ideally somewhere between Marine Warehouse and West Marine.
So Defender then.

I just spent some time exploring Mastervolt's hideous website. Apparently they offer no factory support to end users, so now I understand the original question. They make good products, but frankly I would never buy a Mastervolt product based on this. I think back on the great service I received from brands like Magnum, Charles and Newmar, hell even Xantrex to some degree, not to mention Furuno and others, and find this really unacceptable.

I also see they are now owned by Brunswick.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,533
Defender is a great e-tailer, but you will not get any tech support from them on a Mastervolt product. WestMarine either. They both might be able to tell you what's in the manual. An installer with product experience is probably your only hope in N.A. Mastervolt is much more popular in Europe. Tech support for Victron is crowd-sourced, but you can usually at least find answers.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,160
Sure Marine in Seattle provides in my opinion excellent service. Not sure how their prices compare. And you'll be dealing with cross border shipping.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Sh...rch=Mastervolt
__________________
CRS. Can't remember sh!t. My dad uses to say that. As I stare 70 in the face... Oh, what were we talking about?
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,160
Also have a look at https://boatparts4less.com/
I think that is a biz owned and run by a knowledgeable TFer
__________________
CRS. Can't remember sh!t. My dad uses to say that. As I stare 70 in the face... Oh, what were we talking about?
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,246
This is a common problem with European product distribution in the US. In Europe, they sell through dealers who actually understand and can support the product, and there is no corporate end-user support. Then they try to do the same thing in the US and it fails. It fails because in the US most sellers just sell, and barely know anything about what they are selling. This goes for West Marine especially, and also Defender, Fisheries, etc, etc. If you ask a question, they will open up the manual and read it to you. The killer is that the European companies have no direct corporate support, if you can't solve the problem with what's in the box, then you are SOL. I have approached MasterVolt several times with tech questions that are over the heads of your typically seller and nobody is home. Victron isn't much better, though they do have a lot of on-line info. But it's a very time consuming treasure hunt to find info. I actually gave up on Victron products because I was wasting too much time following bread crumbs trying to find info.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #13
Member
 
City: Canada
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Couple of catch up items.

Boarder won’t come into play as our boat will be in Charleston. That’s also what’s ruling out me looking to deal with anyone on my side of the boarder.

Surprised to hear the experiences with Victron are similar, support wise but as mentioned, crowd support makes a huge difference. Likely have something similar for Mastervolt but it will likely introduce language issues in trying to get help from around the world.

So at least both products are well made. This would be incredibly difficult if they had reputations for poor reliability.

Sounds like my thoughts of saving the money and spending it on a good knowledgeable systems engineer might be the best option and at least ensure the system is designed and installed properly. Take that portion out of the equation and hope for the best where product support comes into play.

So lowest cost for the hardware will make sense. At least I’ll actually save enough to cover the entire cost for engineering from PYS.

Appreciate everyone’s input.


Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
This is a common problem with European product distribution in the US. In Europe, they sell through dealers who actually understand and can support the product, and there is no corporate end-user support. Then they try to do the same thing in the US and it fails. It fails because in the US most sellers just sell, and barely know anything about what they are selling. This goes for West Marine especially, and also Defender, Fisheries, etc, etc. If you ask a question, they will open up the manual and read it to you. The killer is that the European companies have no direct corporate support, if you can't solve the problem with what's in the box, then you are SOL. I have approached MasterVolt several times with tech questions that are over the heads of your typically seller and nobody is home. Victron isn't much better, though they do have a lot of on-line info. But it's a very time consuming treasure hunt to find info. I actually gave up on Victron products because I was wasting too much time following bread crumbs trying to find info.
Dauntless66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #14
Newbie
 
City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Model: OA 60
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless66 View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to buy Mastervolt products that offers the right balance of cost vs service?

Not looking for the “Cheap and on your own, no after sales support” option.

Also not looking for the “List price” but we support you option either.

Would anyone have had issues with either marine warehouse or citi marine out of Miami?
Bluewater Rigging in Vancouver (ANDY) supplied and fitted Mastervolt 24|4000-100 mass combi to our OA60 a few years back . Knowledgeable,Good job and easy to deal with.
Tuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #15
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Sounds like my thoughts of saving the money and spending it on a good knowledgeable systems engineer might be the best option and at least ensure the system is designed and installed properly. Take that portion out of the equation and hope for the best where product support comes into play.

So lowest cost for the hardware will make sense. At least I’ll actually save enough to cover the entire cost for engineering from PYS.
Since you are going to be here on the east coast, I would strongly suggest you consult J. Gordon in Annapolis or Ward's Marine Electric in Fort Lauderdale.

J Gordon & Co. - Annapolis Marine Electrical

https://wardsmarine.com/
__________________

__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×