Battery switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I have 6 of these switches that are eclectically controlled.
These are almost $500 new

It has a plunger to manually override loss off electric.

Not sure why they use these complicated switches

I found one had a bad positive connection, opened it up the plunger was corroded I cleaned it up so it moves but will not lock down as should.

I found a place that rebuilds them but they take about two weeks

I was thinking about just joining the two cables with bolt until the repaired one can be returned.

Last edited:
8a1d7456dcbf47cea26687abcb228a4f.jpg

ABYC requires the switch to be located close to the source. Your switch allows you to locate a remote on your electrical panel. This means you don’t have to go crawling around your engine room to throw the switch.

Gone are the days of locating the actual battery switch conveniently on the panel. While the switch is expensive, so is runNing 40’ of 2/0 wire.

Ok, I'll bite, why 6 (what do they all go to)?

Ted

I have 6 of these switches that are eclectically controlled.
These are almost $500 new

It has a plunger to manually override loss off electric.

Not sure why they use these complicated switches

I found one had a bad positive connection, opened it up the plunger was corroded I cleaned it up so it moves but will not lock down as should.

I found a place that rebuilds them but they take about two weeks

I was thinking about just joining the two cables with bolt until the repaired one can be returned.
I don't recommend the bolt idea but I'd have to see the electrical system layout.
Can you parallel the affected batteries with the other switches or just take them offline?

No not a joke, these switches feedback voltage to something, that's the reason I was asking.:rolleyes:

there are 5 wires inside the switch.
So If I jump out the switch I was wondering if there may be something happening if something wasn't receiving that feedback signal.

If you're not familiar with these french made units they are kinda complex not anything like a standard mechanical switch.

there are 2 (one for each engine)
one for generator
One for house
One for all the negatives.

Electrically controlled battery breakers: press the switches on the breaker control panel. In the event of electrical failure, it is possible to press down the button on top of the battery breaker manually to activate it.

The electrically-controlled battery breakers use very little electricity when they are on:It is imperative to turn off all the battery breakers during lengthy absences, to prevent the batteries from slowly and irreversibly discharging.

The engine's positive battery isolator automatically comes on and goes off when the engine is started/stopped. The negative of the circuit is connected to the general negative.

Last edited:
How about for now getting a simple Perko type manual on-off battery switch?
They are only about $30 on Amazon and would be a good backup for next time.

Switch on the negative? Must be a European thing. I would go with the temporary manual switch as well. Beware some of those cheap switches are fakes and junk!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom