Article on Sizing a Large Solar Panel System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
I wrote an earlier article, which you can find in the Library on installing a small solar panel system with one or two 100 watt panels. I am posting this article for comment on sizing a large solar panel system before I upload it.

I must admit it is long and nerdy. But sizing a solar panel system is nerdy. Most will just put as many watts as they have room for like Dave did and be happy with that.

So take a look at the following and give me your constructive feedback.

David

Attachments

• Sizing a solar panel system.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 90
Nice article. The only recommendation I would suggest is name each example as a header such as. “Example 2 - Weekend Warrior” or “”Example 4 - Full Time Cruiser”

Good point. Will do.

Thanks, David

David, thanks for putting this informative article together. I'll be installing solar on my boat within the year and am delighted whenever I find such thoughtful information.

My only feedback is a minor edit: use "amp hour," "ampere hour," or "Ah" rather than "amphour." I kept reading this as "amfore.":lol:

+1. Easy to understand and very good info. Seems like the key is knowing your real power consumption and the shunt devise gives you this. You can then equip accordingly. I just added 2 ea. 350 watt panels but they've only been used at the dock so far. We're leaving for Alaska soon and they'll get a good workout.:thumb:

Thanks for the article David. I’m still trying to figure out where I can put a panel or two on my boat. Now that I put the dinghy on the PH roof I used up most of my available room. I still have some room behind the dinghy, but I crawl up there when securing the dingy so they would be in the way. Maybe if I hinged them so when securing the dinghy I could tilt them out of the way?

IMG_1866.jpg

I presume you use your boom to lift your dinghy and drop it in the water. So you don't have to slide it back to launch it, right?

Yes it looks like you could install two panels aft of the dinghy. One could be hinged so that you could swing it up and over to get up on top and launch your dinghy.

David

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have incorporated them into the final article and have uploaded it to the Library/Systems section. Enjoy!

I am working on a final article on the electrical and mechanical design and installation of a large solar panel system. I will post it here in a few days for your critique.

David

Back
Top Bottom