Real "Day in the Life" when crossing oceans.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiwi.

Vessel Name
Nyla
Vessel Make
Mengi Yay 105ft
Good real "Day in the Life" when crossing oceans.

Hi,
I thought people might like to see what a normal day on the Tasman Sea looks like in our 60ft Clipper trawler. We came across to NZ from Aus last December and are heading back to Aus this month. It was running a 3 meter (10ft) swell from the south west (so on our starboard stern quarter) and 1.5 meter (5ft) wind waves (25knots of wind) on our port bow. (Hopefully this FB video is viewable, otherwise let me know and I'll find it elsewhere.) My wife (Jo) was catching up on emails that were downloading very slowly on our Iridium Go. Obviously, (apart from being beautiful), she is also very experianced offshore.

https://www.facebook.com/tony.butler.39108/videos/10222632885345004

Please share any good experiances you have in strong weather; I share this, not to scare people, but to show what a good boat and a relaxed experienced crew, enjoy (see the smile) and take for granted.

Last edited:
Wow, what a boat..! In my next incarnation, I want one of those... :thumb: :D

When you return to Aus, where will you be based and berth that beauty..? Oh, yes...and welcome to TF.

Last edited:
Your wife is doing everything right. Many people find reading induces mal de mer. She’s sitting near the center of the boat where motion is less. She’s not resting her back on the cushions but rather using her vestibular system to sway and keep her head as still as possible. She occasionally looks up to reacquire the horizon. Brilliant.
There’s three groups as regards motion sickness. Those more sensitive to fast frequency jerky motions, those slow and those both. Have found out every one can get sick. Once was forced to work with head upside down breathing diesel smell, hot and severely sleep deprived while in force 8. Got this iron stomach sick. Took myself off watch, washed to get the stink off and took a power nap on the sole of the boat. So think “I never get sick” is BS. Think given the right circumstances everyone can.
On occasion my wife has done passage with me. We forgo the queen berth forward and sleep either in the saloon if going to windward or center. No fun sleeping airborne or with the noise blasting through waves. I’m a morning lark and she’s more of a night owl so our watch schedule reflects that biology.
Love passage. Don’t need to stress about navigating. Just heading in the right general direction will do. Don’t need to stress about Colregs violations or collision or the other idiot. Between AIS and radar a non issue. After a few days the boat and the weather around you is your universe. All problems are real not the artificialities of land based issues. The rhythm of life at sea is restorative.
Get so excited prepping and looking forward to the accomplishment of a successful landfall.
Thanks for the vid. Miss those days.

Back
Top Bottom