Open for suggestions from experienced sailors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vandeusen

Hi everone

So we are sitting in Paducah and we are considering leaving here in a couple of days in our 42 ft Grand Banks and take the Tom Bigsby down to mobile this is where my dilemma begins lol,

My 26-year-old daughter who's on board wants to travel to South America and keeping in mind June 1st isn't going to be too far away by the time we get to Mobile as we're in no hurry or maybe we should be that's part of this discussion..

So the first question is is it a dumb idea to attempt to going South America so close to the hurricane season and the second question which way would you go? Unless I mistaken and I'm very well can be I see 4
options..

1. Go from mobile follow the coastline till I get to the Lake Okeechobee cut work my way across to the East Coast go to Palm Springs shoot over to the Bahamas then to Cuba then work my way towards South America or,

2. Go down to mobile and go straight across the Gulf ie 200 plus miles from land and take that down toward the Lake Okeechobee cut saving me a lot of time and fuel

3. Instead of taking the tom Bigsby shoot over to the Mississippi River take that down and go around Mississippi Louisiana Texas and stay Coastal all the way down to Mexico and Beyond

4 last but not least shoot straight across going toward the Yucatan area..

I'm open to other Sailors thoughts because this is a journey I have not even thought about attempting to do before although I do have plenty of boating experience completing the loop. Eventually we want to make our way down to Columbia and Nicaragua as well

Now most people would want to know what equipment I have on board LOL I carry 680 gallons of diesel 250 gallons of water I'm generator and solar equipped running on two Ford Lehman 120s...

I welcome your replies

What's your mpg?

What's your mpg?

Not sure but my fuel burn is approximately three gallons per hour and that gives me about 5.7 miles per hour if I bring the throttle up the cruising speed which is 1800 RPMs then I burn three and a half gallons an hour and that gets me about 9.3 mph. We never really sell that because we're never in a hurry to really go anywhere but I also know in 2500 RPMs which is Max RPM you will get 10.6 miles per hour but I generally keep it about 1500 RPM and occasionally do a burn

Last edited:
A couple thoughts.

First, check out Bumfuzzle.com. A family of 4 spend a few years bopping around the Caribbean on a GB42. Very experienced sailors and adventures. They are now back on a sailboat on the Pacific.

Second, I've never been on the upper parts of the Loop/TennTom except driving in parts of it. Looks adorable with plenty of places to hang out and delay. You are right to be concerned about schedule.

Third. If you do speed through, heading to Isla Mujeres then down to Belize and Guatemala Rio Dulce puts you in a safe place for hurricane season. From there, you can do the Bay Islands of Honduras which are supposedly great diving. Going south from there has some concerns because the coast of Nicaragua has had some piracy issues in years past but has been quiet for recent years.

Going east around Cuba and stopping in Jamaica is a possibility, then down to Puerto Rico and through the Caribbean is possible too.

The hardest part is leaving - the first 10-feet. After that, it gets easier in some ways though time and money will dictate your itinerary (and grandchildren if you have any). Some may argue, but the GB42 is a fine boat for the trip. Would not be my first choice but if I owned one, I wouldn't hesitate to take it. Bigger issue is having systems you are comfortable servicing and supporting.

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119_061054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_061054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 40
The Tenn Tom is closed due to the failure of the Demopolis Lock. Your only route to the Gulf is via the Mississipi for the next few months.

There’s a gyre in the southern Caribbean Sea. It interferes with getting to the ABCs if coming from the west. There’s a strong current off the northeast coast of Brazil making it difficult to go south. That area also has more than its fair share of weather.
When you say South America exactly what to you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Current

Last edited:
There’s a gyre in the southern Caribbean Sea. It interferes with getting to the ABCs if coming from the west. There’s a strong current off the northeast coast of Brazil making it difficult to go south. That area also has more than its fair share of weather.
When you say South America exactly what to you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Current

Specifically Mexico Colombia and Nicaragua

Daughter to South America via airplane.

-Chris

Eastern Mexico is essentially two regions - Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. GoM is reportedly lousy cruising - the few stops there are being industrial ports supporting either commercial fishing or oil and gas.

Between Mexico and Nicaragua is Belize, Guatemala (Rio Dulce), and Honduras. Belize has some interesting stops and the Bay Islands which are legendary for snorkeling. Roatan is visitor friendly. The rest of Honduras has a reputation that is deeply concerning. Nicaragua isn't much better as they've declared their territorial waters extend beyond the accepted 12 NM limit. Few cruisers visit these countries so there is prescious little information on anchorages and inlets.

As for Colombia, it's a planned stop for us when we get through the Panama Canal later this year. However, there have been some recent reports of armed boarding of yachts anchored near Santa Marta/Baranquilla.

I share your daughters inquisitive interest in the Central and South American - heck, I'm halfway down the Pacific side of Mexico as I write. But the Caribbean side has some concerns for us. I'm not sure what our plans are but there is much, much more that goes into that side than the Pacific. Even the weather is more difficult to parse.

My suggestion would be to not plan anything. Just go, head down and start your Loop adventure and have fun. If something over the horizon catches your fancy, go for it. If you end up in the Caribbean, great. But I wouldn't plan that far in advance.

Peter

Eastern Mexico is essentially two regions - Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. GoM is reportedly lousy cruising - the few stops there are being industrial ports supporting either commercial fishing or oil and gas.

Between Mexico and Nicaragua is Belize, Guatemala (Rio Dulce), and Honduras. Belize has some interesting stops and the Bay Islands which are legendary for snorkeling. Roatan is visitor friendly. The rest of Honduras has a reputation that is deeply concerning. Nicaragua isn't much better as they've declared their territorial waters extend beyond the accepted 12 NM limit. Few cruisers visit these countries so there is prescious little information on anchorages and inlets.

As for

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yea we are in no hurry it can take all the time it needs as safety is first

The Tenn Tom is closed due to the failure of the Demopolis Lock. Your only route to the Gulf is via the Mississipi for the next few months.

Confirmed, closed for a few months.. saved me a long useless trip so ty

How comfortable are you running the boat on one engine for hundreds of miles? Doing the Great Loop and much of North America above Mexico allows you to stop for repairs. When you get to South America, repairs become more problematic. While twins are certainly a good choice when heading into the 3rd world, many boats are lousy when down to one engine. I'm not talking about transiting a placid lake, but being in the ocean quartering 3 to 4' seas. Imo, you need to be realistic about how many hours are on the engines, the amount of spares you carry, and your ability as far as a mechanic. I would also want to try cruising with one engine in 3 to 4' seas, knowing that if it's unmanageable, you can start the other engine.

Ted

I have 3 uncles one in each country and we are all military retired, we all make the same income and they live like kings and i live like a slave ( not really) but the point is i want to see it for myself how they can build 8 bedroom mansions and 100 hectre coffee farms..
So i want to set is i can live like a king to.. lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php/?photo_id=431065546016683
photo.php
Both motors are in perfect order. Just had services. I so the loop on 1 motor as much as i can and limit stating the 2nd. Good point, as far as mechanical I lack a little in that department I could take apart off I could put a part on although I have complete schematics and every diagram you can think of getting all the way back from when this boat was brand new so I'm pretty sure I can read through the stuff and look at the pictures to fix what needs to be fixed. And I really only carry extra oil filters, fuel filters, water impellers and the normal stuff that you would carry for a long trip since we are on our trawler full time

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php/?photo_id=431065546016683
photo.php
Both motors are in perfect order. Just had services. I so the loop on 1 motor as much as i can and limit stating the 2nd. Good point, as far as mechanical I lack a little in that department I could take apart off I could put a part on although I have complete schematics and every diagram you can think of getting all the way back from when this boat was brand new so I'm pretty sure I can read through the stuff and look at the pictures to fix what needs to be fixed. And I really only carry extra oil filters, fuel filters, water impellers and the normal stuff that you would carry for a long trip since we are on our trawler full time

Items that come to mind would be a damper plate, a transmission cooler, replacing a raw water pump (because of a bearing failure, fresh water pump, alternator, starter, thermostat, cleaning a heat exchanger, and maybe a few other things. None of these are major internal repairs, but most will stop you cold without the spare parts, tools, and being able to diagnose and repair the problem.

Ted

Would consider this trip western Caribbean not South America. As you know wide variation in risk, cruising resources and interesting things to see and do on the east coast of Central America. Have spoken to cruisers in the past who have been there but have no personal experience. People coming from the canal seemed to like the San Blas but noted need to be careful. Due to currents and politics all said to head for the Florida Straits or eastern Caribbean best is to head north using the currents. Get near western Bahamas and then go down the eastern Caribbean chain or continue on to Florida to return to the states
Starting in the states one would entertain doing the gentleman’s way turning west before or at Grenada and then head up the western Caribbean to see the east coast of Central America. Noonsite is your friend for this trip.

Although you are not a sailboat neither are you a FD boat built for blue water and serious weather. Please look at the pilot charts for GOMEX and southern Caribbean Sea. You don’t want to encounter wind against wave. Hugging the east coast down the countries of Central America going south is doable. But you will need time to do it safely. You will be going against currents for much of the way.

For something this enterprising would not pick a direction and go. Rather would have a fairly firm plan. Know where you need to be by what time. Know where you can restock and refit as necessary. Know where is safe to make landfall and where to transit. Also where and critically when to turn around and head home. I’m assuming you will return to the states.

Of course all plans go out the window once you start a cruise but at least having a firm framework to start is worthwhile. Both outbound and return.

Last edited:
Just did a shirt 10 hour, 65 NM trip from San Diego ro Ensenada. I would have been delighted to have 3-4 foot quartering seas. Forecast was 15-29 knts on the nose and 4-5 west swell(on the beam). What we got for the second half was sustained 29-25 with times well over 30 and an angry mixed swell 5-8 ft. Not fun but not unsafe as long as no other issues arose.

If I were planning the long cruise proposed by OP I would make sure to do some short trips in rough seas to test both boat and crew. The loop is nothing like long distance offshore cruising in remote regions. Even my little day trip was a lot to handle and if my wife had been onboard it would have been her last time. She loves the boat but once I leave San Diego Bay she just "follows the fleet" and meets me in the next port. Of course I would love to have her onboard all the time but for many rough water for extended durations is not in their comfort zone.

So just a precautionary note to the OP to consider the magnitude of this extended trip and prepare accordingly.

For what it's worth, the lower part of the Mississippi is nothing to sneeze at. Few safe anchorages, limited access to fuel, and lots of barge traffic. There are plenty of posts detailing this elsewhere on the Forum. If you elect to take that route, do research this carefully well ahead of time and have contingency plans.

You have a fun challenge (problem) and there are a bunch of possible answers. I think the first question is Mississippi vs Tombigbee. The river offers places to stop, Memphis, Greenville, Vicksburg. Tombigbee almost none. you choose. once at the gulf, I would tend to turn East go as far as Key West, then Havanna then Jump to the Yucatan. shorter open water jumps.

You ask for opinions. this is one. The hardest is the first 100 yards. Have Fun!

Great Loop vs Open Water

Hi,
As a veteran of the BIG U, Seattle to Boston, and most of the Great Loop, I will suggest to you that the Loop is a totally different animal from cruising offshore in open or near open water coastal cruising. Many times, when on a straight route from A to B, the coast actually moves away from you and you realize that you're 50+ NM offshore. That in itself is not a problem if you've done your homework and have prepared for the inevitable breakdown and/or bad weather. If your boat is not stabilized, a beam sea can ruin your day...

The Loop presents its own challenges, but cruising in foreign countries requires planning to ensure that you don't stub your toe dealing with Mexican and other Central American countries.

It's one thing to cruise down to Mobile and beyond in the USA, but I suggest that you look into Mexican laws if you plan to stay in the country for months or years.

As mentioned by others, keep in mind that the opposing tides can drop your 5.7 knot cruise down to 1 or 2 knots, which makes a very long day, especially with limited safe anchorages. How prepared are you for overnight cruising? I suggest that you take a 24-36 hour cruise to see how your wife is going to acclimate to 4 hours on and 4 hours off... There are many places where it's impossible to just stop and rest and if the weather is pounding you, it can push one to the breaking point.

My advice is to take your trip to Mobile and start your planning and preparation for a longer trip. When you get to Mobile, take some offshore day cruises and then take several overnight cruises just to see how everyone acclimates to the lifestyle. Get the boat ready and you'll soon figure out if the crew are ready.

As a final suggestion, find an experienced long distance/offshore captain to look over your boat and make suggestions. Let him inspect your spares and your safety gear, including communications.

As a LONG time GB42 owner my personal preferences were cruising inland and coastal USA only; although I know others will take that fine vessel farther afield. I spent a lot of Navy time and later a bit of civilian time traveling both in and off shore of Venezuela, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Aruba, Cayman Islands and others, and I never felt any desire, once I had one, to take a GB42 there, but with the spares I carried, I firmly believe my two Ford Lehman 120s would have carried me there and back. Having uncles all over the place down there certainly gives you a leg up, but if you can afford to own and cruise a GB42 in the USA, I wonder what else is there down there that you could aspire to afford. :rofl:

You mention your daughter, but who else will be aboard as watch standers? Just getting down the Mississippi sounds like a real harrowing issue to me with few places to stop and night running being probably suicidal.

Some have spoken of preparing the boat for open seas by ensuring the big cabin windows are covered in thick Lexan plates screwed into the frames. Just something to think about.

As to engine spares, not knowing your generator, I cannot tell what you might want, but I sure can tell you what you want aboard when going foreign for a lengthy visit. I carried all the below plus the tools to handle all the associated casualties.

Take one complete raw water cooling system spare - hoses, coolers, heat exchanger, water pump, impellers and finally a spare exhaust elbow.

Take a few spare injectors and one complete set of six stainless steel injector lines lines and ensure you remove and have all injectors in main and generator engines serviced.

One spare fuel lift pump.

Spare alternator

Spare vee belts

Spare coolant reservoir radiator caps

Lots of lube oil and coolant.

One set of engine alarm and gauge senders.

One spare starter and solenoid.

The hurricane season is June until end of October, so during that period I would not go through the Caribbean at all, it is just too dangerous, unless you have the speed to get out of harms way in approximately 3 to 4 days.
As long as you stick along the coast you will be fine, but be aware of thieves and robbers, it is not the Med where nothing happens. I would almost say: 'bring some very aggressive dogs and you will be fine.

Daughter to South America via airplane.

-Chris

My sentiment exactly.

Just exactly what is your level of experience, and how much experience with this boat, how much in the way of spare parts, stabilizers?,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom