Old 09-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: SC
Vessel Name: Sea Flute
Vessel Model: 1979 Fairchild Scout
Does this navigation software exist? What do you use?

So, I just purchased a very cool little pocket trawler. Although it is the same model I just sold it is quite an upgrade-Fairchild Scout 30.

The cruise from Brooklin Boatyard to Hinckley at Southwest Harbor was so nice, that I am thinking of driving it down to Charleston. That got me thinking.

Is there a program or software out there that helps you navigate that offers the following:

1-Works sort of like google maps or any other map program that will chart distance using known navigation routes, kind of like roads?

2-That will provide potential marinas to dock at based on a preset input, say you want to travel 60 to 75 miles per day?

This option would allow you to drill down deeper, for instance utilizing a star rating system for the higher ranked marinas, accommodations, and restaurants.

Fuel prices and other fees would also be provided real time in addition to known hazards, tide charts, and other notes.

3-Overlay with weather charts and future forecast

In other words, anything you might need to make the trip, and planning easy. We are pilots, so I am looking at this like Skyvector, Foreflight, or some other program but even more. I am sure this must be out there, but pointing me in the right direction will be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6256212_20170602053441072_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	108111   Click image for larger version

Name:	6256212_20170602053442722_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	108112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_152326.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	108113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_154332.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	108114   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	108115  

Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Noticed you have a Raymarine chart plotter onboard. I'm not entirely familiar with them as I've only run Garmin and Furuno but I'm pretty confident they have "auto-routing" which would help you determine a base course between destinations.

Garmin has some apps for a phone or tablet that do the same. Active Captain (integrated with Garmin) can show you Points of Interest including marinas, anchorages, useful notes from others, etc.

We use Coastal Explorer (PC based) alongside Furuno and love it. No auto-routing (I prefer to plot my own routes) but it does provide warnings for an route I create based on distances to objects, draft, etc. Also useful for planning against tides and currents.

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Oh, almost forgot. Sweet boat!
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2901 Striper
Congratulations! What a beautiful boat!
BTW for Navigation I use Navionics on an iPad. It has great charts, auto-rout, etc as well as support for Active Captain. Cheap too at $30 or so.
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Noticed you have a Raymarine chart plotter onboard. I'm not entirely familiar with them as I've only run Garmin and Furuno but I'm pretty confident they have "auto-routing" which would help you determine a base course between destinations.

Garmin has some apps for a phone or tablet that do the same. Active Captain (integrated with Garmin) can show you Points of Interest including marinas, anchorages, useful notes from others, etc.

We use Coastal Explorer (PC based) alongside Furuno and love it. No auto-routing (I prefer to plot my own routes) but it does provide warnings for an route I create based on distances to objects, draft, etc. Also useful for planning against tides and currents.
Thank you!
Old 09-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Navionics App has auto routing. You can try their web app for free, but it's basic and I don't believe the routes can be exported. Auto routing has improved over last couple years. I wouldn't trust it entirely though. Active Captain interface is manual.

Definitely second +++ on a beautiful boat.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxstriper View Post
Congratulations! What a beautiful boat!
BTW for Navigation I use Navionics on an iPad. It has great charts, auto-rout, etc as well as support for Active Captain. Cheap too at $30 or so.
Thank you!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Indeed a real beauty, I love it!
You can export routes with Navionics. In fact you can create your route on your online account and export your data to any supported device (meaning a tablet running the software as well as marine displays compatible with Navionics).

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you! I appreciate the replies and likes. Another thought. Is there a concierge service that will plan for you?
Old 09-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2901 Striper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopo View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the replies and likes. Another thought. Is there a concierge service that will plan for you?
If there is ... I would avoid it.
You see, boating can be, and is, serious business. To boat one needs to dive in to the details and take ownership of the adventure. It may seem intimidating at first - there are so many systems, so many details, so many traditions - but you will need to learn them. Boating involves learning everyday. Once one overcomes the initial feeling of overload, then you gain the confidence you will need to overcome the inevitable unexpected. As the unexpected seems to pop up fairly often when at sea.

Dive in. Learn your vessel. Plan your adventure. You will be glad you did.

Now leaving my soapbox...
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

City: Barrie ON
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Aqua Maps would work for you, AIS overlay, active captain integration plus waterway guide.

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Plan what? Like a travel agent? Book your destination dinner reservations and sight-seeing too? Not that I've ever heard about.

The marine 'industry' has nowhere near the same degree of coordination as do other hospitality services. Services like dockwa and snagaslip are working to handle booking marina slips, so there's that. Active Captain was pretty well regarded as a community, but then Garmin bought it and, well...

Route planning for a boat is FAR more nuanced than using google maps or waze for ground transportation. Not that it couldn't be done, rather that there's not enough of a market to make it worth doing.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Adapo,

Another comment on a NEAT boat...I'm impressed.

As a fellow pilot, you won't find anywhere near the functionality that the aviation apps will give you. I'm a FlyQ lift subscriber, and also use Aerovie and Flight Plan.com app. Played with Foreflight. All good.

For the boat I could argue the following set up:

As mentioned, Navionics for SURE. It's quite good, and will give you auto routing, Active Captain (which gives you marinas (prices), anchorages, hazards and comments. Also, the sonar charts are quite accurate and valuable when getting off the waterway. Also, has tides and current, but I subscribe to Tides app on the iphone which is much more handy.

Also, get Aqua Map, which has more detail, better search engine, and waterway guide.

Both are cheap enough. Neither are compete, especially for non boating services (restaurants, shopping, etc. but often mention some) (and some of aviation apps are similar).

The aviation apps are MUCH easier to navigate, change routing, easily move wpts, etc.

As of non boating info, I still use Google maps and just Google search, and also use that in aviation.

Another thought that's probably not a bad idea is to call the Marina and get current info. (Again, do the same with aviation), as things change. But having a name when you land is often valuable.

You will most likely be able to tie your Navionics app to your plotter with the auto routing, so you'll have it on your plotter. And with your autopilot (and remote) it becomes very easy to navigate. You DO have one, don't you? An autopilot is invaluable once you travel any distance.

As for weather (flying and boating) I use other sources. Sure the apps can give you an idea (aviation stuff is MUCH better and usable). For enroute boating, I use the weather channel, and some of my aviation apps for fronts, wind, etc. For planning purposes, that's a whole nother thread. I did use XM for awhile on the boat, but it adds nothing unless I'm out of internet range which is rare. Even in the plane, I've dropped XM because of ADSB and have radar and a storm scope which gets the job done. BTW, boat radar is a lousy weather tool. Only works well in open water where you can barely maneuver around some weather. Just can't out run weather in a boat.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
As I just learned this week: you can automatically create a route in Navionics and import it into AquaMaps. The best of both programs!

AquaMaps has the Army Corps of Engineers most recent surveys for the best charting. Navionics will create routes for the easiest planning. AquaMaps has the Bahamas Explorer charts and courses as well as Active Captain and the Waterway Guide.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
There is a concierge service that will plan route and pilot your boat, that is named a captain

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #16

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Quote:
Always remember too that the buck stops with you. No matter what app or piece of electronics or service you use the Captain is responsible for the safe operation of the boat.

Period !
Solly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hi folks, I would like to thank everyone for their replies, exactly what I love about these forums. Now time to start a new thread about a potential trip.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
It certainly raises an interesting question. Once upon a time venturing forth in an automobile was a pretty daunting process. Perhaps a lot like boating. Weather variables, road conditions, unknown accommodations, etc. Is it 'better' now for car driving? Most might think so, and for a lot of trips, most definitely. But it does take the shine off the discovery process of planning an adventure to just plug a start/end destination into an app.

I think most folks actively boating today wouldn't want the experience to follow the same course as the automobile. I'd daresay neither did a lot of the early vehicle owners. Oh, there's SO many similarities.

But I'd like to think boating won't go that route, and retain it's more adventuresome aspects.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
It certainly raises an interesting question. Once upon a time venturing forth in an automobile was a pretty daunting process. Perhaps a lot like boating. Weather variables, road conditions, unknown accommodations, etc. Is it 'better' now for car driving? Most might think so, and for a lot of trips, most definitely. But it does take the shine off the discovery process of planning an adventure to just plug a start/end destination into an app.

I think most folks actively boating today wouldn't want the experience to follow the same course as the automobile. I'd daresay neither did a lot of the early vehicle owners. Oh, there's SO many similarities.

But I'd like to think boating won't go that route, and retain it's more adventuresome aspects.
I agree with this and the allure to boating for me is in the freedom to choose and discover. Although there are regulations and taxes, at least it allows us to chart our own course.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #20

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
Send a message via Skype™ to The Brockerts
How about OpenCPN with TF recommendations :-) !

The Brockerts

The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote