Who keeps impeccable maintenance records?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep a detailed maintenance record:

Attachments

• 7AF35BB7-3C1E-4E42-A946-3E1451134E6F.jpg
    7AF35BB7-3C1E-4E42-A946-3E1451134E6F.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 54
That's really useful information. Thanks for sharing.

Peter

Thx, but only useful for me, and the next owner.;)

The previous owner started this maintenance spread sheet when the boat was new 2001.
I just kept it going after purchase.
When I first saw the above records I decided to buy the boat, no survey needed. (October 2017)
The seller however insisted I get a formal survey and a sea trial, so I did.
No problems noted, I purchased the boat immediately after the survey.
(Weird transaction, most seller's hope the buyer will NOT insist on a survey/sea trial)

Detailed maintenance records can me worth their weight in gold come selling time, or in case of an insurance claim or an accident.
Also useful for maintaining the tub to high standards.

Ha anyone used the apps out there?

The seller however insisted I get a formal survey and a sea trial, so I did.
No problems noted, I purchased the boat immediately after the survey.
(Weird transaction, most seller's hope the buyer will NOT insist on a survey/sea trial)

I could be that maybe the owner was torn between keeping and selling the boat and secretly hoping that the sale wouldn't go through. I know that doesn't make sense but I was in that position once. I knew it made perfect sense to sell my boat at the time, but I was not looking forward to parting with it. The first buyer that looked at it offered my asking price, so I couldn't really say no. He did agree to let us go on 1 last cruise first.

sample

Attachments

• boat log smple.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 42
I could be that maybe the owner was torn between keeping and selling the boat and secretly hoping that the sale wouldn't go through. I know that doesn't make sense but I was in that position once. I knew it made perfect sense to sell my boat at the time, but I was not looking forward to parting with it. The first buyer that looked at it offered my asking price, so I couldn't really say no. He did agree to let us go on 1 last cruise first.

Nah, he was selling it for sure as they were stepping down to a smaller 19'CC.
He insisted on a survey to make darn sure the buyer got a good boat no surprises. He also had a new battery installed in the EPIRB, filled up the diesel tank and gave me $500 in cash towards any unforeseen expenses.
(I know, it sounds like a fairy tale, but it is true and I am still in shock)

Last edited:
Nah, he was selling it for sure as they were stepping down to a smaller 19'CC.
He insisted on a survey to make darn sure the buyer got a good boat no surprises. He also had a new battery installed in the EPIRB, filled up the diesel tank and gave me $500 in cash towards any unforeseen expenses.
(I know, it sounds like a fairy tale, but it is true and I am still in shock)

I get it. People who take a lot of pride in their boats want to be sure the next owner is happy with it. Whenever I sold a boat and something came up on a survey, I was quick to pay for it and never debated about it. My feeling is that I always tried to keep everything maintained and in proper working condition, so if something was found to be wrong, I wanted to fix it because my boat never had a known issue that I ignored.

I don't find the need to do so. I haul the boat and winterize it for 6+ months every year. I do the same things in the fall when it gets hauled and the same things in the spring before she gets launched.

The only thing I am meticulous about are the engines and gears. I do the oil changes and zincs myself, but keep a record. Cummins does all of the other service, for which I have receipts. Since a buyer could always question the validity of self-serving records, I don't believe that my oil change records are any better than no records at all (and conversely, I don't believe that the lack of those records would be a distinct disadvantage), especially since a cautious buyer will want to see oil analysis results, etc.

As for the other equipment, I don't keep any record at all. I know guys who can tell you when every light bulb was changed, etc., but I can't. I can't even show when the bottom has been painted, but I also don't think any of that really matters either.

I can't even show when the bottom has been painted, but I also don't think any of that really matters either.

It makes a big difference to some of us.
(After 40 years in aviation it seems perfectly normal to document all maintenance
and repairs, and in my case I save every piece of paper for the IRS in case of an audit)

I fall somewhere in between great record-keeping and logbook entries and keeping no records at all.

I keep a maintenance log in a spiral notebook aboard of all routine maintenance work done such as oil/filter changes, tranny lube, impellers, battery servicing, etc. In that book, I note the date and engine hours when completed and when the next servicing of that item is due.

I also keep a spreadsheet of all the mods, improvements and significant changes I've completed since my ownership. This includes items such as new cabinet hardware, new horn, electrical or sanitation system changes, radios, chartplotter, etc. This list is the one that I think most new buyers will value but having a PO who completes, records and tracks routine mx is also important.

I have never kept a journal or logbook of the boat's travels. I will typically post online about them or share photos of memorable trips but I never got into journaling.

my very, very customized spring launch check list. In this list, I keep track of everything I need to do prior to launch and even prior to departure on the first cruise of the season.

I have a pre-departure checklist that came about because of my other boat, which is trailerable. There are actually a lot more things to check when getting the little boat ready. The first time I pulled the little boat (from the seller's garage), I looked down and saw the pin for the trailer hitch sitting on the passenger seat. I'd done everything but that rather important task. Hence, I now have a check list on my phone.

Seemed like a good idea for the trawler as well. I have several waterproof "luggage tags" that contain important information right at the helm. A pre-departure check list, a MayDay script (including my MMSI#), international phonetic alphabet, horn signal codes, etc. Good info for me to have on hand and even better for guests. The extra luggage tags are great for fishing licenses.

a MayDay script (including my MMSI#), international phonetic alphabet, horn signal codes, etc. Good info for me to have on hand and even better for guests.
I agree! I have this info at the helm too.

Not sure how fancy you want, but I've been using a little app called ShipShape (it's about $10 bucks, if I remember right) for the last few years. Keeps track of all kinds of things (costs, TODO lists, etc.).

Seems that everything important/expensive results in an invoice, so I have a letter size small plastic bin that I put the invoices in. Tried logs and programs, but didn't have the discipline, so just doing the best I can for the next owner.

ShipShape for me also. Just take a picture of the invoice and upload. Plus I keep a running check list of items both big and small and priority which I can refer too. I now have a record of what was done, when, by who and the cost. In fact I need to enter my latest purchase from Defender which just arrived.

Seems that everything important/expensive results in an invoice, so I have a letter size small plastic bin that I put the invoices in. Tried logs and programs, but didn't have the discipline, so just doing the best I can for the next owner.

And you can always scribble a bit of an explanation onto the invoice if you are like me and look back at old paperwork wondering what that was.:) I do not keep invoices because I type all boat-related stuff into the boat maintenance Excel spreadsheet; however, if I did keep invoices, I'd scan them (I have two scanners, one only an inch or so thick and highly portable). It would take a few seconds to rename the scanned file with a date and brief description. Then you could get rid of all that useless paper with the scribbles on it cuz you'd have it saved, scribbles and all, on your 'puter.

Log book

Yes, I keep a log. Includes regular maintenance items like zincs, impellers, filters. belt replacement , oil changes, battery maintenance. And new stuff like fuel hose replacements, transmission cooling hose replacement, new transducer, install nmea2k, new plotters, new alternator and external regulator, cell amplifier, water purifier, new anchor and rode etc. I think it’s valuable when you go to sell the boat. Current boat had no Maintenance records available.

Yes, I maintain a similiar documentation system.

I keep a reasonable track of everything done on Google docs

Each major component (Genset, engine, gearbox, pumps, hull) has it's own doc, hours and dates as things are done and notes on issues
All available across all devices.

Vessel had zero records when we got her.

I keep a hand written logbook with everything done to the boat.

Nothing gets left out.

Maintenance Records

When I bought my 42 GB, I inherited a maintenance log kept up by the two previous owners. I use it along with a spreadsheet for the essentials. I find it very helpful. I also have batteries and a few other items in the engine room tagged.

I’m in the make notes in the log when significant maintenance items are needed and or completed camp.
The bigger the boat, the more things there are to keep track of and in my case there are some things that might be fairly unique to my boat.
To that end I’ve started a binder that is intended for the future owner. It covers how to make a device work and where it is located, and why I did it a certain way. Some things have seemingly hidden fuses which could be a failure point. Nice to know location and size. If I dropped dead tomorrow the next owner would have a running start at keeping the old girl going. Not familiar with a Glendinning control system, this would lead you to being able to start and then control the engines. I’m rambling, but I think this document might be more appreciated by the next owner then a spreadsheet of all the maintenance done.

Having been brought up on boats with complete hand written logs always entered into at end of each short duration boat use... sometimes often entered into during longer duration boat use... especially when special items occur or are accomplished... On long cruises, each eve or next morning, the trip was well documented in Dad's Log Book!! Having at first been an RCAF Spitfire plane recon pilot and then an injury transport pilot for US Navy he was strict on log keeping.

I was trained well. Every time we use our boat or work is accomplished on our boat there is complete, explanatory hand written bullet points dated and entered into a large, hard back cover Log Book. All parts or upgrade equipment receipts are in a file box. All manuals are in a box. That way - I always know what date what was done.

Log is good upon sale too. I've sold other boats with well attended logs... IMO great tool for closing the sale.

:speed boat: :thumb: :D

I keep a simple written log book. In the front I keep the travel log with voyages, trips taken, time for passage and any interesting events along the way. In the back, going the opposite way in the log book I keep a maintenance log. Of regular maintenance and upgrade maintenance. Then at the end of each boating season, in the fall, I type the maintenance log in a word document and add it to my journal. The maintenance log has date, engine hours, what was done. When I go to sell my boat I'll invite the prospective buyer to read the log. He can see when the upgrades were done and when the oil changes were done, the date and the engine hours.

Having spent my career in the airline business and we always documented everything we did on the plane.

Therefore on my boat I have a logbook for each engine, both generators and a logbook for the "airframe" or the boat itself.

As I get older I can't remember the dates of when/where/what I replaced something and I find it easier to refer to the logbook for each system. I try to maintain some sort of schedule in replacing certain parts or fluid changes so it is easy to go to the source.

When major items are added or completed on our boat such as bottom jobs, new water maker system or a significant alteration, I will document that information too. I will keep receipts of big ticket items but I won't clutter the pilot house with "how to" manuals of the toaster I just bought.

But all this is for me and not any potential buyer.

Rusty

Pretty close. I keep a spreadsheet with all maintenance, purchase and installation actions by date and engine hours. All receipts are either downloaded or scanned. "Pretty thorough" I'd say.

As I wander back and forth through this thread looking at the huge variance in the answers, I wonder how those with virtually no written records and all of it "in their brain" know when the batteries in their SOS light or EPIRB need changing. How do you know what cutlass bearing goes in your struts when the yard asks you about replacing the old rattling set you have? How do you know how old your batteries are when engine starting gets hard without having to decipher the code on the batts, if there even is one there? What bulb is in the anchor light so you don't have to climb up there twice to replace it? I am sure I can name at lease one hundred other similar ideas, and for those who live many miles from their boat or even just in the same town, a handy record at the house as well as on the boat can save many hours of useless back and forth. My boat is only just out the back door, but when I'm looking for replacement/repair parts, the trips back and forth checking sizes, part numbers, etc are minimized by having a record here on this laptop, a record that consumes mere minutes to record the many hours of actual labor time. It just seems a waste to bust my butt all afternoon and not take a minute to record the event, for my seive-like mind will NOT be able to recall the event several years later when it might save time and money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom