Water Pump Running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justaddwater

Hi Gang-:ermm:

I have a wired one for you. i've been around water pumps my entire life and know how they work but this one is making me crazy-

Seems that 75% of the time we are out on a trip the water pump starts running... You don't notice till the motors are turned off BUT why... :confused:

No water is running or on and the tank has water. The pump is running and will not stop until I turn it off. Once it is back on and pressure build, like it should, it then stops... :facepalm:

It seems that you have a leak in your water line before the pump that is(once pressure is good after the pump then it shuts off).
If you had a leak in your water line after the pump (of any faucets) then the pump will going on and off periodically and never stops.
i would check all your clamps on your water lines from the tank (tanks) to the pump.
good luck,

My vote is for a defective pressure switch.

More info please. What brand/type of pump? diaphragm/belt driven? Is there an expansion tank? How old is the system? Did this just start recently? Both the above guesses by members are good and valid.

Not sure of the model but it is a diaphragm system.

I do have a expansion tank- I don't know much about that system?

There is no water leaking from any fitting before or after the pump, tank or outlets-

Add an internally leaking expansion tank to the list of things that can cause these symptoms. If you can't see leaks anywhere after the pump, it's possible there's a hidden leak in the expansion tank. "water bound" I believe is the common term. Flip the breaker, drain any water pressure by opening a tap. Unscrew the tank and see if any water comes out. You can also check the air pressure of the bladder with a simple automotive type pressure gauge. If you add air pressure to the tank, you may see water or at the very least, give it a shake and listen for water.

Either the pressure switch is sticking on or whatever the pump uses for valves are probably leaking or deformed. Pump valves are basically check valves that allow the water to move in one direction only. A cheap fix would be to install a check valve before the pump on the suction side.
If the pressure switch is in the nose of the pump (like the one shown), they are common failures. The switch is a common micro switch, not rated for 12 volts, but used by many manufactures of pumps. The internal points get pitted and either stick together or fail to make contact. A couple screws and it's apart. New switches are on ebay and maybe Amazon.

Attachments

• diaphragm pump_sm.jpg
    diaphragm pump_sm.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom