Old 11-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Had the same qt bottle aboard for 11 years, not something I buy like beer. I know Sea Star / Teleflex do not refine oil, they buy it from an oil company and brand it. And yes, the equivalent/same in several industries is the same stuff.

I worked for a company that manufactured and sold a hydraulic system. The system, tolerances, performance and seals were designed for a specific oil, in this case the readily available and cheap ATF. Did not stop people from calling and asking if they could use this or that.

Capilano and Sea Star (Teleflex) are from the same manufacturer, but specify different oils for their systems. Same with Wagner and Hynautic, and within the Hynautic line different oils for steering than their controls.

Unless I'm going through gallons of the stuff, for stand by / back up in case of a leak, I tend to stick with the manufacturers recommendation.

If the difference was hundreds of dollars and it cost 4 or 5 times as much, I might shop around.

$0.02
I did stick with the mfg's recommendation .... Milspec 5606. I just paid a helluva lot less for it. I dislike being gouged.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I did stick with the mfg's recommendation .... Milspec 5606. I just paid a helluva lot less for it. I dislike being gouged.
Me too... When we first got our boat on our way home I found a tiny leak at the cylinder that emptied half of the upper helm pump. On Rideau waterway we spent a night at a lock where there was a boat shop nearby. Went there to get a quart of hydraulic fluid to play it safe on the way back. It cost me 42$ plus taxes for a quart of seastar juice, I felt sort of a pain...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Me too... When we first got our boat on our way home I found a tiny leak at the cylinder that emptied half of the upper helm pump. On Rideau waterway we spent a night at a lock where there was a boat shop nearby. Went there to get a quart of hydraulic fluid to play it safe on the way back. It cost me 42$ plus taxes for a quart of seastar juice, I felt sort of a pain...

L
Agreed ! I refuse to pay a 460% premium for their name on a label.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #24

City: Kemah, TX
5606 is some great stuff. Used it in aircraft for years and got a "wild hair" once when rebuilding the clutch master and slave cylinder on a 1969 Triumph Spitfire. Apparently the seals are a non-5606 compatible rubber of some type and the 5606 turned them into mush. The clutch felt great the first few tests after the rebuild, but went to hell in a handbasket quickly. My lesson, test its compatibility with seals thoroughly before using in an application outside of aviation...

After another, and very difficult, rebuild I used the proper brake fluid for the clutch system!
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote