Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I can't see the need for ballast or the third tank. My 36 is a single F.L. and like many Taiwan Trawlers is slightly bow heavy. I can't believe yours is bow heavy with an extra engine. 47 additional gallons of diesel are only about 400 pounds. Wouldn't you rather have the extra room for engine maintenance or maybe line your batteries up down the center and get them out of the starboard area they are in now? Or better yet how about getting rid of that little 20 gallon black water tank and install a larger one between the engines? Possibilities are endless but IMHO you don't need the third tank.

pete

Those twin F.L.s only sip about a gallon an hour each that is still almost a thousand miles range.

Pete Meisinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: St. Joseph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I can't see the need for ballast or the third tank. My 36 is a single F.L. and like many Taiwan Trawlers is slightly bow heavy. I can't believe yours is bow heavy with an extra engine. 47 additional gallons of diesel are only about 400 pounds. Wouldn't you rather have the extra room for engine maintenance or maybe line your batteries up down the center and get them out of the starboard area they are in now? Or better yet how about getting rid of that little 20 gallon black water tank and install a larger one between the engines? Possibilities are endless but IMHO you don't need the third tank.

pete

Those twin F.L.s only sip about a gallon an hour each that is still almost a thousand miles range.
Pete,

I'm open to possibilities. Things to think about. It's nice to have options.

cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Pete beat me to it. Have plenty of fuel. These days you need more black water storage
Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I pulled the tanks in the old green trawler. One was seeping the other seemed fine. They were 125 gallon in the laz, relitivly easy to get out. Plan was to use the old ones as templates. Turned out the only bad spots were on the bottom of the one. Had them sand blasted which left holes in the one that had been seeping. The bad was cut out out and replaced.

At the same time I had another inspection hatch cut and fitted to the top and added pick ups for fuel polishing. Tanks then got three coats of epoxy primer and three coats of white epoxy paint.

Total cost for sand blasting, repair and fabrication, pick ups and epoxy paint was just under $800.00. I did the removal, transport to the blaster and repair man. Paid the yard an additinal $100.00 or so to lift them back in.

Repair was well worth it in my case. The photos show before in place, after sandblasting, the holes, painted tank (both the same) and cleanouts.

At the time my wife worked for Loctite and their development lab in Rocky Hill Connecticut was very helpful with sealants. The guys there told me they offer help to anyone who calls. We are both retired now so no more connection.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_Before Removal0183.jpg   Tanks After Blasting.jpg   Holes After Blasting.jpg   Cleanouts.jpg