How to paint/touch-up rusty spots in ER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I have twin Cats painted white. I have a few rusty spots in the ER on engine parts, fuel tanks, etc. I figure to remove light rust with Dremel tool brush and paint with Caterpillar Matterhorn white but what have you used to prime or stop/convert rust before you paint?
Thanks.

I have used both Extend and POR15 with good success. Extend has less steps and is easier to use. No need to sand off the rust unless it is scaling.

Kano Exrust is a GREAT product to tackling rust.. just a bit expensive and hard to get, but worth every penny.

Does a great job of removing and once gone, you can paint with a quality paint (especially the rust neutralizing paints).

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have heard about POR15 but didn't want to go through all the steps. I don't have a lot of rust but just a lot of little spots. It would take too much time. I sure one of the other products you have mentioned will work for me.

I have twin Cats painted white. I have a few rusty spots in the ER on engine parts, fuel tanks, etc. I figure to remove light rust with Dremel tool brush and paint with Caterpillar Matterhorn white but what have you used to prime or stop/convert rust before you paint?
Thanks.

I've used POR15 and it really sticks. Simple to use. Like all systems remove loose rust. Clean with metal conditioner, available at building supply stores. Paint on. Clean the lid and ring of the can if you don't use it all or you will never get the can open again.

The $%^& really sticks.

Greetings,
A further note on: "Clean the lid and ring of the can if you don't use it all or you will never get the can open again." If you put several layers of Saran Wrap betwixt the lid and the can before putting the lid back on, you will be able to store the paint and get that dad-gummed lid off again (Note: The Saran will have to be replaced with fresh layers upon re-opening).

And..."The $%^& really sticks."

iu

after cleaning as much rust off as possible, i use picklex 20 to treat what's remaining. then i use a paint called zero rust. i prefer it to por 15 cause it's less brittle and easy to touch up. can be top coated with just about anything.
rustoleum makes a product called rusty metal primer that works very well too. if this is a very high heat area those paints might not be appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom