Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #21

City: Bellevue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Sounds like a plan, good luck with it and keep us informed. Oh, BTW we require photos...
Will do, I'm actually thinking of vlogging it and uploading everything on Youtube
Alleywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
One of our members by the name of Winty has a YouTube channel. He does a lot of maintenance and repair videos and has a Lehman in his... CHB? I think?

He also has a Great Dane named Jeff that’s worth subscribing for on his own.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I know the Universal brand, though those here are not tri cabin.
One of our marina neighbours bought a Dyna 45 solely to work on it and resell. Profit was not the aim, he just enjoyed doing the work. Not for me, but what he wanted.
First fix is what might sink it and might let in more damage. I doubt it will be a bargain in the fullness of time but so what, it`s what you want. Journey rather than, or just as much as, destination.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
One of our members by the name of Winty has a YouTube channel. He does a lot of maintenance and repair videos and has a Lehman in his... CHB? I think?

He also has a Great Dane named Jeff that’s worth subscribing for on his own.
Can you post a link to the channel? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #25
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCj...FmqEyQnMryOcTg
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Everyone has a different concept of "Messing Around With Boats"

Dock Queens , cottage afloat , snowbird ,week end toy, looper, circumnavigation.

Thank goodness there are , other enjoyable paths

" Usually when I get done working on a boat, I sell it because I am bored and can’t find anything more to work on. Maybe that is why this is our 23rd boat..."

His concept and enjoyment keeps sound but unloved boats alive!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #27
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Alley,
We see this often when folks want to buy a cheap boat and rebuild it. And there's some of us that encourage it and then there's the nay sayers. I'm sure you've looked at the goods/bads and the risks/rewards and sounds like you've done a lot of this.

I say, more power to you. There's certainly a satisfaction of pride when you finish. You're attitude of doing it for the fun and education is spot on, and you realize that is most likely will not be a profit producer.

While I don't mind doing small projects.... adding seats, flooring, radios, modifications, etc., a total rebuild is not in my cards. Just too time consuming for me but can appreciate the work others do.

Getting info from forums, youtubes, etc is a good idea as you can often find someone that's done it before and can save you time and resources.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #28
Guru

City: Green Turtle Bay
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
If it was me, and thank god its not.

I would start with a haul out and, begin working on the outside of the hull and work my way in. If you can find a good DIY yard you can usually get a monthly rate that is much cheaper than dockage.

If you don't have a hull then you don't have a boat
Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
If it was me, and thank god its not.

I would start with a haul out and, begin working on the outside of the hull and work my way in. If you can find a good DIY yard you can usually get a monthly rate that is much cheaper than dockage.

If you don't have a hull then you don't have a boat
Good point, I'll have to look but I bet there is a DIY yard in Seattle somewhere.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #30
WDR

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 1983 Albin 36
Naysayers. .

20 years ago everyone thought I was delusional sitting in my run down shack on 6 acres in the mountains and subscribing to a yacht magazine.

Just a dreamer.

Now, those same people that would casually say ‘follow your dreams’ (but really don’t mean it) are the ones sitting back ‘Monday Morning Quarterbacking’’ every move I make.

In the past two years I have paid off over $40k of debt, somewhat convinced my grown kids they have to start living and letting my wife and I do the same, bought a $25k 36’ that will need much work (subjective), and I am one step closer to the dream I have had for over thirty years.

I am standing at the threshold of actually realizing that dream. There is absolutely no way I will allow those same people to cause me to lose focus.

I used to believe that I was not very successful in life. Even now, as I am sitting on the deck of my 36’ trawler and under 55 years old, retired, money to live on, relatively good health, and sipping on a tasty Hurricane watching the sun set, I ponder.

Should I reconsider my position? Maybe I should ask the naysayers who will be busting their humps at their 9-5 in the morning.

I will just be choosing what lure to tie on the pole before I get started with my new full time job working on my beautiful ‘hole in the water’, as they all seem to like to refer to it.

I must have done it all wrong.

Or maybe they were wrong.

I can only wish you the best. If you can visualize it, you can do it. It might cost you more but in the end, you will have done it your way.

Albeit possibly the stupid way (as in my case) but none the less, you will make Frank Sinatra proud.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR View Post
Naysayers. .

20 years ago everyone thought I was delusional sitting in my run down shack on 6 acres in the mountains and subscribing to a yacht magazine.

Just a dreamer.

Now, those same people that would casually say ‘follow your dreams’ (but really don’t mean it) are the ones sitting back ‘Monday Morning Quarterbacking’’ every move I make.

In the past two years I have paid off over $40k of debt, somewhat convinced my grown kids they have to start living and letting my wife and I do the same, bought a $25k 36’ that will need much work (subjective), and I am one step closer to the dream I have had for over thirty years.

I am standing at the threshold of actually realizing that dream. There is absolutely no way I will allow those same people to cause me to lose focus.

I used to believe that I was not very successful in life. Even now, as I am sitting on the deck of my 36’ trawler and under 55 years old, retired, money to live on, relatively good health, and sipping on a tasty Hurricane watching the sun set, I ponder.

Should I reconsider my position? Maybe I should ask the naysayers who will be busting their humps at their 9-5 in the morning.

I will just be choosing what lure to tie on the pole before I get started with my new full time job working on my beautiful ‘hole in the water’, as they all seem to like to refer to it.

I must have done it all wrong.

Or maybe they were wrong.

I can only wish you the best. If you can visualize it, you can do it. It might cost you more but in the end, you will have done it your way.

Albeit possibly the stupid way (as in my case) but none the less, you will make Frank Sinatra proud.
You didn't ask the forum for advice. The OP did so. Various members have offered advice and it comes with many different viewpoints, exactly what the OP needs to then make his own choices.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard WDR. Congrats on your early retirement. We didn’t manage to retire until 60. Loving it though.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:06 AM   #33
WDR

I didn’t say ‘nay sayers’ someone else did. It just reminded me of how they are in every aspect of life.

I plan on soaking up the info.

My statement was summarized with words of encouragement.

If that is not appropriate I will leave.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #34
WDR

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #35

City: Punta Gorda
Tackle the items that affect functions and save the cosmetics for later.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #36

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Allywolf: Welcome aboard and congratulations on your soon to be purchase. I have rebuilt several aircraft, autos and boats (mostly aircraft). I would start with a thorough inspection by system (hull and deck, engines and running gear, electrical, plumbing, navionics, etc.) Then prioritize. Keep her afloat first, seacocks, hoses and the like), keep her from further deteriorating, (deck and window leaks, deck and so forth), get her running (engines and running gear) then electrical.
You are buying a Taiwan Trawler and while they can be great boats, they don't deal with deferred maintenance well. Check the electrical systems carefully. Many have window leaks that may allow fresh water into the cabin sides, be careful of rot in these areas.
There was a Passagemaker article some years ago on Taiwan Trawlers (I think it was in the late '90's) probably worth reading.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #37
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR View Post
I didn’t say ‘nay sayers’ someone else did. It just reminded me of how they are in every aspect of life.

I plan on soaking up the info.

My statement was summarized with words of encouragement.

If that is not appropriate I will leave.
That's what I got from your post. Don't stop.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #38
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleywolf View Post
Yes on getting a survey. Luckily, for the price even if I find that I'm biting off more than I can chew I can part it out and make the money back or even a small profit. One of the Ford Lehman 120's alone would likely recoup the money.
OK, keeping with the biting and chewing theme, I'll bite: just HOW much are you getting this boat for???

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard mssrs. Aw and WDR. Well, you BOTH seem to be heading of to a new adventure. Best of success to both of you. Please keep us "in the loop" as to what you're doing please. EVERY bit of experience, both good and bad is a learning opportunity.

Edit: What Mr. M said. "Don't stop".
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #40

City: Myrtle Beach
Vessel Name: Kama Hele
Vessel Model: Litton Universal
Buy that thing and enjoy it. I bought mine for 913$ including his last months dock fees. She floats, Lehman 120 works flawlessly after a new starter. Rot on a few walls but none on deck. Replacing the PH floor this fall! And I live on it full time.
Go through the whole boat wih someone experienced, write down all the projects as wants/needs, then catagorize a timeline on when you can do them. Safety is always first though! Welcome to the Trawler Life and I hope you enjoy it!!
AsheL is offline   Reply With Quote