Engine Room Vent Cover ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I currently have some engine room vent covers that snap on and they do work. However, putting them on and taking them off when you are anchored out isn't an easy task for someone with 30% of his spine fused with plates and rods. I'm thinking about some kind of solid cover that would swing up, or hinges where it could just drop down, or a solid cover that would fit in some kind of slot that could be lifted out and would slide back in.

Anyone tackled this problem?

The Brockerts

Attachments

• ventcover2.jpg
    ventcover2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
What's the reason for covering them every time you anchor?

I don't what salt air blowing through my engine room. I run a dehumidifier in the engine room and keep things dry, keeps the rust down. This 30 year old boat has never been in salt water until now and I'm trying to keep the room clean, dry and rust free.....LOL

The Brockerts

In that case, do the vents go to a duct on the inside? If so, you can probably install a damper setup in the ducts that can be easily opened and closed to allow or block airflow as desired.

I admire your attitude about keeping all in the ER pristine, but unless you are anchored most of the boat's life, I doubt seriously that you ingest salt spray to the point of causing rust issues. Save the covers for when you are in the marina or home pier for long periods.

The duct, is more like an area, 4 feet long about 5 inches wide opening , and getting to the area from the inside is very difficult as it's behind a diesel tank in a space that is about 4 inches wide. Several 4 inch ducts end up in this area, just pushed up into this area.

The Brockerts

Not sure this would help you but the only time I've had to cover vents is up in the northern states where it is used when winterizing the boat. In this case, a good product is made by Contact. Self-adhesive and stays on, but peels right off when you're ready and leaves no trace... but not sure you'd want to do it daily or even weekly....

Contact_clear.jpg

I'll agree with the others that covers are completely unneccessary when anchored out. I only covered mine in the winter to keep the warmth generated by the block heaters inside.
Your engine will suck in a whole bunch of salt air when it's running.

We are year round liveaboards in New England and have used that clear contact sheet as discussed in the winter. It goes on and comes off very easy. We stuff insulation in the louvered vents prior to sealing them up.
On side note, are snaps the best way to adhere the covers ? I like the look and your idea of the white canvas though.

I have slide in engine room vent blocks I made for winterizing our boat. The manatee’s two vertical teak louver vents are easily accessed in our cockpit but required considerable effort to block them each year. The block idea came to me while refinishing the teak and adding bronze screening. I constructed the slide in blocks from a piece of white vinyl siding material. I slide the vinyl block between the screen and the louvers to close off air flow. The vinyl is thin and slippery enough to start it at the bottom louvre pushing upwards till closed. I left enough length on the block to easily push or pull it open or closed.
I hope this idea helps with your plan to easily block your vents. :)

Attachments

• D8F4CAD8-9075-4736-A7DA-DA6699B39CC6.jpg
    D8F4CAD8-9075-4736-A7DA-DA6699B39CC6.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Closed

Attachments

• 0060A4DA-6FDF-4071-B245-89D9F375DFAB.jpg
    0060A4DA-6FDF-4071-B245-89D9F375DFAB.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
Great idea, I like the flexible vinyl part, might be able to get that to work from inside the engine room

The Brockerts

Do you run the Gen at anchor with the covers on?

Personally I would not bother putting them on. They do look like a PITA to put on and off.

No, I remove the covers when any engine is running in the engine room and I turn on the blowers

Back
Top Bottom