Engine Raw Water Strainer Cap Tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Anybody have the necessary tool that is used to open the round cap on the larger style raw water strainers?

Where can they be found/bought?

PO had 2 pieces of wood that had been rigged to open the cap but they really dont work too well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Search for "Groco Spanner Wrench". They come in different sizes. Available online or in chandleries.

A towel?

Ours is pretty industrial
Requires spanners or sockets to remove 4 bolts.

If your strainers have the 3 small holes or recesses in the top, then the Groco Spanner Wrench will work. I got mine directly from Groco, not bery expensive as I remember.

A pic would help but...
My Mainship has Marine Hardware strainers and the top has 2 raised tabs. I use an adjustable wrench over one tab and the handle against the other.
Caps don't need to be super tight as they have Oring seals. Lube them up and snug them and they will come off easier.

A pair of needle nose pliers with tips in two of the holes. Slide a long stout screwdriver between the plier tips an pry with screwdriver. Gets them off unless badly stuck.

This is what I use.

If your strainers look like this, try a simple 1/2 (or whatever size fits) socket drive handle. I've been using it for years. It even works if any of the end tabs on the caps break.

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F0253116-01.jpg
    F0253116-01.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It is annoying that the op hasn't come back to confirm what he/she has

A pic would help but...
My Mainship has Marine Hardware strainers and the top has 2 raised tabs. I use an adjustable wrench over one tab and the handle against the other.
Caps don't need to be super tight as they have Oring seals. Lube them up and snug them and they will come off easier.

Sounds like your strainers are the same as mine. (See post 7) I was told "finger tight" which seems to be perfect. If necessary, I use an open end wrench on one ear and brace it against the other ear. Remember, lots of lubricant, getting it well down into the treads. Finger tight !!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I am pretty sure ours is a marine hardware product, pretty big one asbits for the engine intake....

Yes, I am pretty sure ours is a marine hardware product, pretty big one asbits for the engine intake....

Oh yea, BIG for the engine intake but then, all the strainer manufacturers make BIG inlet strainers for engine seawater inlet/cooling.

I use either a 3/8" or 1/2" socket wrench on my Marine Hardware strainers, depending on size.

Back
Top Bottom