Bonding bronze seastrainer: pipe dope.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’m installing a new Groco sea-strainer and fittings. How much pipe dope should be used if you want to maximize the bonding of the pipe-to-hose fittings?

A) none
B) minimal, but enough.
C) go ahead and lather it up!

I’m thinking B)

Jim

I would use just enough so that it doesn’t leak. But I usually overdo most things...

Make Make sure the bonding wire is on the through hull and not the barb fitting. I always use a thin but even coat op thread compound. And I would make sure it is a tight connection even though hand tight would probably suffice to make it watertight.

Make Make sure the bonding wire is on the through hull and not the barb fitting. I always use a thin but even coat op thread compound. And I would make sure it is a tight connection even though hand tight would probably suffice to make it watertight.

The through-hull is already bonded. The new strainer is the Groco ARG-750S, which is plumbed with hose from the through-hull.

The PO used a “Sure-flo” strainer, which, IMO, is inadequate. It’s intended purpose is to protect water pumps.

Jim

In general most screwed together pipe fittings make plenty of electrical contact no matter how much dope you put on the threads. The threads squeeze all insulating dope out of the contact points and make good metal to metal contact in places. Check it with an ohm meter if you want to be sure.

David

"B"

I use , now and for the last 10 yr or more, Rectorseal #5 . You don't need gobs as it will simply squeeze out although the excess can be wiped off if taken care of while still wet.
THe local pipe dope , Oatey, has similar dopes that do not harden, set up yes, but not harden.

An electrical connection will be made even with the sealer. THe threads will push out the excess sealer and go metal to metal as you tighten. THe sealer will protect the threads from corrosion and prevent any weeping.

As DavidM says use an ohmmeter if you don't believe.

Is your strainer directly connected to your thru-hull? Or isolated by hose?

In general most screwed together pipe fittings make plenty of electrical contact no matter how much dope you put on the threads. The threads squeeze all insulating dope out of the contact points and make good metal to metal contact in places. Check it with an ohm meter if you want to be sure.

David

What he said.

Back
Top Bottom