What Size Halotron Extinguishers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We have a Fireboy 200CG auto-discharge halon system in the ER (recently inspected) and four CO2 handhelds in other locations. I’d like to replace the CO2 units with Halotron.

Thinking I’d use a 5-lb unit in the forward cabin since that one might be used as a supplement to the ER unit—maybe with a dedicated injection port. And maybe 2.5-lb units for the other living spaces?

We also have remote battery switches that allow us to isolate both banks from the saloon in the event of an electrical fire. So I’m thinking the smaller handhelds might be adequate for fires that are not being actively fed by ongoing arcing current outside the ER.

Just wondering what other Halotron users have installed.

Personally, I'd keep a clean agent extinguisher (like halotron) near the electrical panel, but probably not elsewhere. Unless you flood the whole space like the engine room system, it doesn't do anything to prevent a fire from re-igniting. So in handheld form, it's best used for cases where you really don't want anything conductive or corrosive around.

For the rest of the boat, I'd consider a foam extinguisher near the engine room, as those are not as bad to clean up as dry chem, and foam is very effective on a fuel fire. Foam will also work on a type A fire like burning interior bits, but it can't be used on energized electrical, so it's not a cure-all.

For the rest of the boat, ABC dry chem will be the most effective thing you can use that doesn't require thinking about "what's burning and which extinguisher should I grab?". The biggest issues are the messy cleanup and that it's very corrosive to electronics. A type K liquid extinguisher near the galley would be a good alternative to dry chem for cooking related fires.

I have a big Halon extinguisher near an engine room access panel. I'm sure I could flood out the engine room several times with the one extinguisher.

I have several dry chemical backups. I guess I should get a CO2 also.

pete

Look into getting at least one Purple K extinguisher. Messy but if you have a fuel fire it will put it out and keep it out, no re-igniting. A CO2 unit will stop a fire without making a mess of things. Of course if the boat is on fire, a mess is the least of your worries. In my experience if you don't have the fire out in less than a minute, you better be in your dingy and fighting it from off the boat. Fiberglass burns REALLY well.

And once fibreglass gets going, it is not easy to put out. Abandon ship is probably the only viable answer at that point.

2 1/2# extinguishers are probably good for about 5 seconds to empty. Unless you have lots of them they are too small. Halon is only useful in a contained area so no use at all in a living space.

Back
Top Bottom