Frigoboat Refrigeration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Transpac Eagle 32
We have a new-to-us Transpac Eagle 32 trawler outfitted with a Frigoboat K35F refrigeration system, 2009 vintage, keel-cooled. The unit runs when I turn it on and the thermostat and speed control panel power up; thermostat is set to 35 degrees Fahrenheit. But the unit does not cool. The black condenser tank gets very warm to the touch (the paperwork seems to indicate this is normal).

I’m starting to troubleshoot the system to try to figure out what’s wrong, but I have a question that I don’t see addressed anywhere in the paperwork on what I’ve found so far with the manufacturer on-line: once I start up the system, how long should I let it run before I start to have either some coolness in the box/plate, or sweat or frost? I mean, minutes, hours, overnight, what? At least enough to tell me that the system is basically working. Assume 75-80 degree ambient air temperature (we’re in Pensacola, FL).

I had a Frigoboat keel cooled system on a former boat. Unless it is a eutectic plate evaporator which I don't think are found on Frigoboat systems, you should be able to feel the cooler temp of the evaporator coil within ten minutes.

So the compressor runs and you can feel it vibrate, right? With the compressor running and no cooling that suggests a blocked condenser.

I don't recall a "black condenser tank". One mine the freon gas tubing connected to a thruhull fitting on the hull, was condensed by the keel cooler and the liquid freon returned to the evaporator.

David

See photo, “black condenser tank” is probably a bad description on my part, I’m talking about the black oblong tank with the tag on top. It’s definitely running/vibrating when I power it up.

Attachments

• 7DF2995B-2D30-4340-81CA-8E9E52D8E9A1.jpg
    7DF2995B-2D30-4340-81CA-8E9E52D8E9A1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17
See photo, “black condenser tank” is probably a bad description on my part, I’m talking about the black oblong tank with the tag on top. It’s definitely running/vibrating when I power it up.

That oblong black thing is the compressor.

We have a new-to-us Transpac Eagle 32 trawler outfitted with a Frigoboat K35F refrigeration system, 2009 vintage, keel-cooled. The unit runs when I turn it on and the thermostat and speed control panel power up; thermostat is set to 35 degrees Fahrenheit. But the unit does not cool. The black condenser tank gets very warm to the touch (the paperwork seems to indicate this is normal).

I’m starting to troubleshoot the system to try to figure out what’s wrong, but I have a question that I don’t see addressed anywhere in the paperwork on what I’ve found so far with the manufacturer on-line: once I start up the system, how long should I let it run before I start to have either some coolness in the box/plate, or sweat or frost? I mean, minutes, hours, overnight, what? At least enough to tell me that the system is basically working. Assume 75-80 degree ambient air temperature (we’re in Pensacola, FL).

Ours reaches the set point in about two hours.

Hint: call a tech when you cant make it work.

I agree. The black thing with the tag is the compressor

If the compressor is running, but the evaporator plate is not cooling, then you may have a blockage. Can you hear refrigerant flowing into the evaporator plate where the copper tubes are? www.CoastalClimateControl.com has a refrigeration troubleshooting section to help you diagnose the problem and perhaps fix it yourself. Or at least make you smart enough to talk sense with the technician (or to know when they're talking nonsense to you!).

IF the system dies not have a refrigerant filter/ dryer, and a sight glass have someone add it..

Sounds like there is a drop of moisture in your system which freezes stopping the refrigeration process.

The filter grabs the moisture , the sight glass lets you observe the refrigerant working .

Back
Top Bottom