Deck Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvermeer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brigus
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Hi all, I have a 1986 Monk 36, and want to install a wash down pump. The boat already has a thru fitting below the waterline that isn’t being used, and electrical isn’t a problem. I am looking for suggestions regarding deck hose fitting location. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

The bow is the traditional place, near the anchor pulpit.

In my boat there is space between the inner wall of the forward cabin and the hull. You need to see what access you have to that space to run the hose up and install the valve on the deck.

You can't see mine in the photograph but it is mounted on the deck, somewhere under the dog :).

Attachments

• Ruby - 1.jpg
    Ruby - 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
ok, thanks for that. i don’t think that will be possible for me, but I will have a look.

Do you access to the chain locker from the bilge? If so then run the hose that way using hose protection. I have often butchered [modified] plastic through hulls as anti chafe bulkhead pass throughs for item like this, hoses, wires.
Figure out a way to protect the hose from the chain also. A 1/2 piece of plastic electrical or plumbing conduit could be strapped into place over the hose after the run is settled.

Another great suggestion, I’ll check it out. Thanks

If you are going to make it a sea water wash down, may I suggest you use an identical FW pump. That way if your FW pump craps out, you can put the SW wash down pump in place of the FW pump.
Of course if you carry a spare FW pump, good for you. SMILE

I have so many spares of everything, i hardly have room for the wine!

Previous boat I added a sea water wash down using Pex to the anchor locker. I terminated the run in the locker and just added a valve and coiled hose that I rigged a strap to the locker lid thru the hose coil.
To use simply lift the locker lid, I snap the strap, open valve and all set.
Current boat had a wash down at bow but I added a tee in the pump discharge line and ran a second outlet to the aft deck.
With the additional outlet a much shorter hose could be used to access the entire boat for washing. An additional plus was I am able to hook up a dockside fresh water hose to the aft outlet (with a male to male hose connecter) and still be able to use the shorter hose at bow for a fresh water wash.
Most pumps include a check valve but I added one at the pump discharge to make sure I didn't do any damage to pump with dockside pressure.

Last edited:
An additional plus was I am able to hook up a dockside fresh water hose to the aft outlet (with a male to male hose connecter) and still be able to use the shorter hose at bow for a fresh water wash.
Most pumps include a check valve but I added one at the pump discharge to make sure I didn't do any damage to pump with dockside pressure.

Now that is an idea many of us can use. Thanks for that Don!

I added a SW pump at an existing but unused through hull, plastic pipe to both ends of the boat, a T at the bow with a hose bib and a nozzle aimed at the underside of the chain roller, so no mud needs to come onto the deck. Not perfect, but really helps. Not enough pressure to run the hose while the nozzle is doing its job.

Now that is an idea many of us can use. Thanks for that Don!

I added a SW pump at an existing but unused through hull, plastic pipe to both ends of the boat, a T at the bow with a hose bib and a nozzle aimed at the underside of the chain roller, so no mud needs to come onto the deck. Not perfect, but really helps. Not enough pressure to run the hose while the nozzle is doing its job.
Glad it may prove useful.
FYI the wasdown I added to previous boat included a 3 way valve that allowed me to switch from raw water pump to fresh water pump / dockside supply. Many would never risk the conne tin and possibility of cross contamination but I'm in fresh water so it was less of a risk in my book. It came in handy at times.

Back
Top Bottom