hybrid fishing boat as liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is an interesting boat that I think would bea good liveaboard. It's already set up as a hybrid, and many solar panels could be installed on the roof. The main deck could be closed in with windows. Its available in steel, but Im asking the Damen company in Holland if they can do it in aluminum too. It already has accomodations for 5 people, with plenty of room for anything else.

Attachments

• sfi-2007-longliner-05.jpg
    sfi-2007-longliner-05.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Product sheet - Long liner 2007.pdf
    506.8 KB · Views: 43
  • sfi-2007-longliner-04.png
    sfi-2007-longliner-04.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 40
What aspects of this appeals to you as a recreational live-aboard boat? Is it the basic hull form? I ask because in all other ways it's optimized for it's purpose as a long liner. Accommodations for a paid crew, i.e. sparse, cramped, and all the way in the bow. Bilge hold, fish processing deck, space for gear storage, launch, retrieval. I think pretty much every decision about how to utilize the space would be different for a live aboard pleasure boat.

And I think all the equipment decisions would be different for a pleasure live aboard. You wouldn't have a single 400kw generator that needs to run all the time, for example. And I don't see why you would do a diesel-electric drive. Note that it's diesel-electric, not hybrid.

So maybe the hull form is interesting, but in all other ways I think the build decisions are wrong for a pleasure boat. Or at least they are all different from the choices I'd make.

If you can afford a custom built boat, why not look at an existing K.K. or Nordhavn?

pete

I think he's just fishing, or perhaps Trolling is more accurate....
Yep. Not his first post with oddball European boats built for commercial purposes that he's proposed for new-build for a recreational trawler.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62005

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65102

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60451

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60221

I think troll works. Certainly hasn't progressed much over the last year or so.

Peter

Last edited:
What aspects of this appeals to you as a recreational live-aboard boat? Is it the basic hull form? I ask because in all other ways it's optimized for it's purpose as a long liner. Accommodations for a paid crew, i.e. sparse, cramped, and all the way in the bow. Bilge hold, fish processing deck, space for gear storage, launch, retrieval. I think pretty much every decision about how to utilize the space would be different for a live aboard pleasure boat.

And I think all the equipment decisions would be different for a pleasure live aboard. You wouldn't have a single 400kw generator that needs to run all the time, for example. And I don't see why you would do a diesel-electric drive. Note that it's diesel-electric, not hybrid.

So maybe the hull form is interesting, but in all other ways I think the build decisions are wrong for a pleasure boat. Or at least they are all different from the choices I'd make.

Of course there is a lot of personal preference for boats, just as there is for cars, and houses. Guess you dont like this one. In fact some will only go for sail boats!
For me, yes I do like the full displacement hull, slow and boxy, and commercial looking too. And diesel/electric is the same as hybrid. The terms are often used synonymously. Indeed, I have a hybrid car, gas/electric. Many of the european builders are going hybrid, they claim 25-30% fuel savings. In port , they can operate on full electric, so no fumes, noise, amd better manuevering.
About the accomodation, it already has bunk for 5, and if the owner, or the admiral want a cushier cabin, there is plenty of room for it. But some people like a bunk just for sleeping and spend most time in the spacious lounge/galley area. In my own home, I made a capsule bunk in my man -cave for sleeping.
I also like the robust commercial grade standards thus its classification....'unrestricted navigation'.
Ive just asked them if they also do it in all aluminum, unpainted above the waterline.
Should be a really good boat for circumnavigation.

Thanks, but too old. The Damen 2007 could be very comfortable too. Plenty of room for my lay-z-boy style massage chair, in the huge lounge area.

What huge lounge area? Is that based on some other GA? That's part of my point. I think you would want a very different GA from what's in the brochure you posted. So what would that be?

Of course there is a lot of personal preference for boats, just as there is for cars, and houses. Guess you dont like this one. In fact some will only go for sail boats! For me, yes I do like the full displacement hull, slow and boxy, and commercial looking too.

I didn't say anything about the hull or commercial look. I just don't think the GA for a long liner is suitable for a pleasure boat. Would you change the QA, and if so, how? You mentioned a huge lounge in another post?

And diesel/electric is the same as hybrid. The terms are often used synonymously. Indeed, I have a hybrid car, gas/electric. Many of the european builders are going hybrid, they claim 25-30% fuel savings. In port , they can operate on full electric, so no fumes, noise, amd better manuevering.

I think by all definitions, a hybrid includes batteries or some other form of power storage. That's certainly the case for your car or boats operating in port of full electric. Perhaps I missed it, but the brochure you posted doesn't show any storage or hybrid operation, just diesel-electric.

About the accomodation, it already has bunk for 5, and if the owner, or the admiral want a cushier cabin, there is plenty of room for it. But some people like a bunk just for sleeping and spend most time in the spacious lounge/galley area. In my own home, I made a capsule bunk in my man -cave for sleeping.

I'd be interested to understand what GA you have in mind?

I also like the robust commercial grade standards thus its classification....'unrestricted navigation'.
Ive just asked them if they also do it in all aluminum, unpainted above the waterline.
Should be a really good boat for circumnavigation.

Note sure I agree, given a single combined generator/propulsion engine with no backup, no second generator, etc. Being out with a fishing fleet would be fine, but not so much totally on your own.

What huge lounge area?

The one designed to hold 200,000 lbs of fish and ice.

We've been through this before with Mr. JW. These boats are designed as "rule beaters" for whatever the current fisheries rules might be. They take on 100,000 lbs of water ballast until displaced by fish and ice. They are not easily adapted for recreational use. The equivalent of taking a semi-truck trailer and converting it to a travel trailer.

And then he'll complain that (1) the builder doesn't respond; (2) people hate on him because they only like expensive interiors; and (3) Americans don't understand European boats.

Peter

What huge lounge area? Is that based on some other GA? That's part of my point. I think you would want a very different GA from what's in the brochure you posted. So what would that be?

The main deck, closed in. Lots of space there for Lazy boy and sofas.

Twistedtree: You DID ask about the hull, and I answered that I liked it.

Lounge area...closed in main deck. The other cabins, etc as is.

Re hybdid: There is plenty of room for as much battery capacity as one likes.100, 200, 300KwH. Bridge deck loaded with solar panels

If one is worried about back-up, get-home capacity, one could install an extra genset, or twin smaller ones, or kite sail, or wing sail, etc.

The main deck, closed in. Lots of space there for Lazy boy and sofas.

You posited that this would be a good live-aboard. I think it would be a very poor live-aboard, and poorly suited for any pleasure use as presented.

But you clearly have a different GA in mind, so please share. And how would you outfit the systems for such an application vs commercial fishing? And to Weebles point, how would you ballast it, assuming you don't want to flood the hold?

I have been to sea on several diesel electric ships. They are NOT hybrids. They do not have propulsion battery banks unless specified...which I have not seen on vessels labeled diesel/electric.

Which I did not see in this spec sheet.

Last edited:
The one designed to hold 200,000 lbs of fish and ice.

We've been through this before with Mr. JW. These boats are designed as "rule beaters" for whatever the current fisheries rules might be. They take on 100,000 lbs of water ballast until displaced by fish and ice. They are not easily adapted for recreational use. The equivalent of taking a semi-truck trailer and converting it to a travel trailer.

And then he'll complain that (1) the builder doesn't respond; (2) people hate on him because they only like expensive interiors; and (3) Americans don't understand European boats.

Peter

Yes, that point was dealt with before, with several testimonies, and citations that such fishing boats can be, and are configured as liveaboards. That you dont like them is a matter of personal preference. Indeed, Ive seen some conversions for sale. This one is new.

Twistedtree: You DID ask about the hull, and I answered that I liked it.

Lounge area...closed in main deck. The other cabins, etc as is.

Re hybdid: There is plenty of room for as much battery capacity as one likes.100, 200, 300KwH. Bridge deck loaded with solar panels

If one is worried about back-up, get-home capacity, one could install an extra genset, or twin smaller ones, or kite sail, or wing sail, etc.

OK, so you have no idea how you would outfit it, and are just making stuff up. We have been through this before with you. If you have an actual boat with specifications that you want to discuss, it would be fun to do so.

I have been to sea on several diesel electric ships. They are NOT hybrids. They do not have propulsion battery banks unless specified...which I have not seen on vessels labeled diesel/electric.

Which I did not see in this spec sheet.

Goggle...Damen hybrid boats. Its a huge Dutch builder that , like many european ones, are going in heavily on electrification. And they will configure anyold way the customer wants, with as much battery capacity as one wants. No fish below, so plentry of room for batteries. Great ballast too.

OK, so you have no idea how you would outfit it, and are just making stuff up. We have been through this before with you. If you have an actual boat with specifications that you want to discuss, it would be fun to do so.

Today I only respond to civil comments.

Yes, that point was dealt with before, with several testimonies, and citations that such fishing boats can be, and are configured as liveaboards. That you dont like them is a matter of personal preference. Indeed, Ive seen some conversions for sale. This one is new.

As a guy who for 25 years has owned a boat designed by one of the most noted Naval architects of the 20th century (William Garden) who predominantly designed pacific coast fishing boats, I do like traditional lines. But those are day-boats (three days tops). The boats you cite (and lets be clear, with exception of renderings, i seem to recall you are long on opinion and woefully short on actual suppporting citations) are modern boats meant to go out for 14+ days and have processing stations and giant freezers for the processed fish. They are designed for one thing: maxumizing commercial fishing profit and have become much more special purpose. Because a 70-year old shrimper that brought raw iced shrimp to the dock was converted does not mean you can take a modern rule-beater hull that delivers store-ready fish to the dock and successfully convert it.

When you're serious about buying a boat, great.

Peter

Goggle...Damen hybrid boats. Its a huge Dutch builder that , like many european ones, are going in heavily on electrification. And they will configure anyold way the customer wants, with as much battery capacity as one wants. No fish below, so plentry of room for batteries. Great ballast too.

How would you specify it for your use? Actually, what's the intended us, beside being a life-aboard.

As a guy who for 25 years has owned a boat designed by one of the most noted Naval architects of the 20th century (William Garden) who predominantly designed pacific coast fishing boats, I do like traditional lines. But those are day-boats (three days tops). The boats you cite (and lets be clear, with exception of renderings, i seem to recall you are long on opinion and woefully short on actual suppporting citations) are modern boats meant to go out for 14+ days and have processing stations and giant freezers for the processed fish. They are designed for one thing: maxumizing commercial fishing profit and have become much more special purpose. Because a 70-year old shrimper that brought raw iced shrimp to the dock was converted does not mean you can take a modern rule-beater hull that delivers store-ready fish to the dock and successfully convert it.

When you're serious about buying a boat, great.

Peter

Noted, you dont like this boat.

I could only answer you in a private message, because if I stick up for myself here, they keep censoring me, blocking me.

Huh? Sticking up for yourself? We just want to know how you would specify the boat since it's not as spec'd in the brochure. So far you have said you would change the propulsion system, but with no specifics. And you would change house power system and at least part of the GA, but with no specifics. We can't comment on an unknown boat, or one that you change each time someone comments.

Huh? Sticking up for yourself? We just want to know how you would specify the boat since it's not as spec'd in the brochure. So far you have said you would change the propulsion system, but with no specifics. And you would change house power system and at least part of the GA, but with no specifics. We can't comment on an unknown boat, or one that you change each time someone comments.

It seems like you didnt follow the thread. I DID mention huge battery load, and solar panels, amongst other suggestions. I never said anything about changing hp. And the boat is not unknown, its already been desinged by those clever naval architects in Holland. They make the bold claim they can configure it any way the customer wants, and build it. They do it all the time. They are experts at it. In fact on their site, they do show several other configurations for this 2007.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom