Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #241
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Cape Star
Vessel Model: Roughwater 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
What was the legal issue? Look like really nice watches. I like the Seikos' too.
I had thought it may have been related to the crown in the logo, but I have also read of possible name copyright issues in the USA. There was a change of distributor name in the USA to Débaufré, though that web site no longer appears to be maintained.
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #242
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Geez, you folks have greater disposable cash than I. And I hesitate spending more than $10 on Ebay for my watches that keep accurate time. Don't know how I would benefit spending another $190 or more for an accurate time piece. But no, I don't need a watch that will function at depths of 200 meters of water
Either do we... Just like we don't need radars, Multiple GPS and other bling.....
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #243
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Says the guy with a 100K boat, lol.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #244
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Geez, you folks have greater disposable cash than I. And I hesitate spending more than $10 on Ebay for my watches that keep accurate time. Don't know how I would benefit spending another $190 or more for an accurate time piece. But no, I don't need a watch that will function at depths of 200 meters of water
Might be right if watches were still, well, watches, they`ve become guy jewellery. A Breitling wearing friend near puked when he saw the solar powered Casio with tide chart I usually wear on the boat. But, I do have others...
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #245
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

All very good points. A $10 used ebay quartz watch will likely keep better time than a $1000 automatic timepiece.

I am the first to admit that there is no practical reason that I needed another watch, let alone a $200 timepiece. I have plenty of good watches. I have plenty of good waterproof watches. A watch like the Seiko SKX is not an investment, I can certainly sell it down the road if I want, but I would lose money. I simply wanted it.

I don't smoke and I don't drink good whiskey. A new watch on occasion is a less expensive hobby.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #246
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Might be right if watches were still, well, watches, they`ve become guy jewellery. A Breitling wearing friend near puked when he saw the solar powered Casio with tide chart I usually wear on the boat. But, I do have others...

I have been keeping an eye on the Casio Pro-trek PRW2500 watch. It has a nice tide display along with barometer, compass etc... The tide display would be nice. Not too expensive since it is an older design now.

I think I may have a serious problem.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #247
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have been keeping an eye on the Casio Pro-trek PRW2500 watch. It has a nice tide display along with barometer, compass etc... The tide display would be nice. Not too expensive since it is an older design now.

I think I may have a serious problem.
Did you know there are glass fronted boxes for watches holding 7 plus? Won`t help with "the problem" but it will keep the solar ones charged.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 AM   #248
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Watch=$$ Timepiece=$$$ Chronometer=$$$$
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #249
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Pride of ownership drives most high price watch sales. It's fun to have nice things.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #250
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
All very good points. A $10 used ebay quartz watch will likely keep better time than a $1000 automatic timepiece.

No Dave, I was referring to new watches
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #251
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Says the guy with a 100K boat, lol.

And my 4 each new 295 watt mono solar panels in my van that I just purchased for it
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #252
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Everybody (well almost) has an i-phone.
Are they not a dependable timepiece?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #253
Guru

Quote:
No Dave, I was referring to new watches

Even so, a $10 quartz watch is likely more accurate than any of my automatics, at much less cost. Folks buy watches for reasons other than just telling time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Everybody (well almost) has an i-phone.
Are they not a dependable timepiece?

True Eric. This was covered earlier in this thread. However, during my workday I need to know the time yet can't pull out a cell phone to check. The same is true on the boat where I don't necessarily have my cell phone at hand.

There was a time during professional career when I was checking my cell phone every minute or two unless I was with a patient, taking a shower, or sleeping. Fortunately, I know longer need that level of connection. Since I no longer have the cell phone twitch, I like having a watch on my wrist to keep me on track with my schedule.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #254
Guru

Quote:
Even so, a $10 quartz watch is likely more accurate than any of my automatics, at much less cost. Folks buy watches for reasons other than just telling time.
Sure Dave, I agree with you. Our Sons have expensive everything, drive $75-85K new cars and I have my ancient 2002 Saturn. Yeah, I can afford a new car and might just purchase one soon or at least within the next year, maybe

Too much old school here from my youth where I had nothing. Still remember my Grandmother...."waste not, want not" and I apply that to most of my spending habits. Now with Wifey, that is another matter although she is outspent by our Sons.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #255
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Pride of ownership drives most high price watch sales. It's fun to have nice things.
Dave,
Bigfish sums it up. Enjoy!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #256
Guru

Quote:
Sure Dave, I agree with you. Our Sons have expensive everything, drive $75-85K new cars and I have my ancient 2002 Saturn. Yeah, I can afford a new car and might just purchase one soon or at least within the next year, maybe
I hear yah. My "new" car is a 2006 Nissan 350Z that I bought used in 2008. My "newish" car is a 2002 Explorer that I only bought new because I was able to get 0% financing and depreciate it as a business expense. I bought my wife a new vehicle, which I hated doing, only because she wanted it.

I like some watches because they reflect either utility or excellence in design. I am comfortable spending under $100 on a watch. I am OK with spending up to $200 if it appeals to me in some unique way. Beyond that, I really am not comfortable. Even at $200 I can envision what my Dad's expression would be.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #257
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
My thought exactly, but it is not my money to burn. I have a Wenger Swiss military watch that was bought new in 1993 for a little over $100 or so. I was 17 then and it still serves as my daily watch. It continues to run great!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #258
Veteran Member

City: Grass Valley
Vessel Name: Plan B
Vessel Model: 1982 Ocean Alexander 43
My go to boating watch is my solar powered citizens chronograph. It's waterproof to 200 meters and never needs winding or a battery. I've had it for years now and it's as accurate as my atomic watch.
Delta Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #259
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:

Too much old school here from my youth where I had nothing. Still remember my Grandmother...."waste not, want not" and I apply that to most of my spending habits. Now with Wifey, that is another matter although she is outspent by our Sons.
Me too, I'm thrilled but a little sad. I just sold my '83 Toyota pickup that wouldn't die to a youngster and bought a new to me '03 Tundra.... what a nice truck. I still have my '74 Superbeetle though. And about a dozen cheap watches
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #260
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Dog View Post
My go to boating watch is my solar powered citizens chronograph. It's waterproof to 200 meters and never needs winding or a battery. I've had it for years now and it's as accurate as my atomic watch.

Very nice watch. I have a Citizen eco-drive chronograph that I use a watch for the office. It is nice and not very expensive. I would really like an eco-drive diver chronograph. I have been keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced used one in good shape.

Dave
SPOT page