Old 12-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Ken, we're at mile 325 on the Columbia in the TriCities and our winds come from the SW. We get a lot of wind in our area and much of it comes from the Columbia Gorge area where Hood River and The Dalles are.
I've been to Hood River when the wind has been howling, which explains why wind surfing is so popular there.

Have you and Tina given any thought to joining Tom and Kay on their next trip to SE AK?

Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #22

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Not in the PNW at the moment, but must have brought the wind with me. A bit sporty here off the coast of San Diego as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sporty SanDiego.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	83676  

Old 12-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #23

City: Seattle
I was talking to a professional captain that moves boats. When the approaching storm came up he just smiled and said, ‘well it is that time of year.’ After a summer and fall of great weather it was a rude awakening that it is winter.
PacNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #24
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
I've been to Hood River when the wind has been howling, which explains why wind surfing is so popular there.

Have you and Tina given any thought to joining Tom and Kay on their next trip to SE AK?
Ken, we would love to do that but our timing is not yet set. Our "year of departure" depends entirely on my 103 year old mother-in-law. We don't want to be somewhere up in the boontoolies out of radio and cell range and have something happen to her. Tina would never forgive herself if that happened, and I wouldn't forgive myself.

She's in pretty good health but we can see that her health is declining. We're enjoying having her around so much that we don't want to lose her.

I have a rough itinerary planned for the summer after she passes and it will include waters from the Tacoma/Olympia area up about as far north as Campbell River. It will be from about mid-June until some time near the end of September or mid-October, depending on when the storms start rolling in.

I get almost as much enjoyment out of planning a trip like this as I do taking it. I've had a TON of fun doing the planning.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

Just to show you that the Columbia is not always rough, here's a video I shot when we were coming up from Portland in October.....

Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Ken, we would love to do that but our timing is not yet set. Our "year of departure" depends entirely on my 103 year old mother-in-law. We don't want to be somewhere up in the boontoolies out of radio and cell range and have something happen to her. Tina would never forgive herself if that happened, and I wouldn't forgive myself.

She's in pretty good health but we can see that her health is declining. We're enjoying having her around so much that we don't want to lose her.

I have a rough itinerary planned for the summer after she passes and it will include waters from the Tacoma/Olympia area up about as far north as Campbell River. It will be from about mid-June until some time near the end of September or mid-October, depending on when the storms start rolling in.

I get almost as much enjoyment out of planning a trip like this as I do taking it. I've had a TON of fun doing the planning.
I hope we run into you....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
GFC
Guru

Figuratively speaking, I hope. We don't know if that trip will be next summer or when. The downside to when we take it means my MIL passed away, so we're not in a hurry to take it.