Old 09-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #1

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Outbound 46
Will trawlers disappear?

Trend in transportation is away from petrol and diesel. Marine technology is mainly derivative from transportation. Oil and gas are going to be all time lows as this trend continues. More dramatic recently due to covid but the trend predates covid and will continue after it passes. Other than petrochemicals and plastics consumption is down. This is necessary to combat climate change but also is inevitable as alternative energy technologies improve to the point that even with improvements in internal combustion engines they are cost competitive and non polluting.
For trawlers the goal is range for the full displacement vessels and is energy intensive for faster vessels. Hybrid boats such as green line and Arksen fill the void to some extent but for those without deep pockets diesel remains the way to carry the most BTUs in the smallest package at the least cost.
We run on ancient dead plankton from the age of dinosaurs and before. Are our vessels the dinosaurs? Is there a future for trawler Yachts for non 1%ers?

Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Except for possible political interference, this is not a matter of concern in our lifetimes.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
What does it matter?
If you're buying a boat for what you will sell it for down the road, you've already lost. A trawler is an expensive deprecating asset with an extremely high annual carrying cost. For most of us, diesel fuel will be around after we're not. So buy your boat and enjoy the toy.

If you're wondering if there will be a market for your boat when you're ready to get rid of it, one only has to look at all the classics out there. A boat in good shape will almost always be bought. In the USA, there's almost always a market for the old, antique, and odd items, whether they work or not.

There may come a point that a new trawler won't sell for what it costs to build, but most 30+ year old trawlers in good shape, probably sell for more than the original purchase price. So clearly there's a market for the old and outdated....in good shape.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Except for possible political interference, this is not a matter of concern in our lifetimes.
True, since politics follow money there is not much motive to reduce diesel use for us.

Local politics does come in to play as far as where we can anchor/moor and for how long.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Arc

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Rudolph Dieselís invention is basically unchanged for 130 years. The piston still goes up and down. Hard to believe he got it right on the first try. Maybe some things just never change.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Rudolph Diesel’s invention is basically unchanged for 130 years. The piston still goes up and down. Hard to believe he got it right on the first try. Maybe some things just never change.
We may switch back to Rudolf's original fuel source, though.

Peanut oil.

JK
Old 09-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Wait, What?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Wait, What?

pete
Not kidding about the peanut oil. Think about it.
There was not yet any market for diesel oil from petroleum in the 1890's.
Rudolf Diesel also tried to run his engines on coal dust. We should be glad that fizzled.

The JK was about switching back to peanut oil.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
As long as there’s plenty left to eat.
I love eating peanuts w ginger pieces/chunks.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #10

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Gettin' deep in here now!! Get those Rolex's up!

Pass the peanuts ... ALICE, get me another brew, did KC win?
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
We are going to need renewable liquid fuels for air and maritime use, and possibly long haul trucking as well. Lots of stuff runs well in Diesel engines, particularly old ones. You just can’t buy it easily. Eventually you’ll probably be able to.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #12

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Outbound 46
Save your cooking oil?
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:41 AM   #13
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
The majors in oil & gas are indeed shifting their focus away from fossil fuels and derivatives. BP for example has laid out a plan to be Net Zero by 2050. It's hard to imagine replacing the power density of fossil fuels, especially for long range transportation such as air, train, and ship. But who knows. 15 years ago I could not have imagined writing this on my phone. We Willard owners have what must be the very first trawler forum users group: mimeograph scans of newsletters between many owners in the 1960s that told of distant travel as far as the galopagos Islands. Imagine what it must have been like to head south back then in a single diesel trawler - no VHF to speak of (certainly few others with one). Radar would be out of reach. I doubt even RDF was viable.

But back to diesel. It will be displaced or become unaffordable or difficult to source. Question is when, not if. Doubtful my generation will be affected. Likely the next will.

Peter.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
A few years ago when the price of Diesel fuel and gasoline got out of reason I started playing with burning other fuels. I started with an '86 Ford F250 Diesel and would pour in anything with BTU value that would dissolve into used motor oil. Basically I started with 85% used oil and 15% gas then added/substituted whatever to keep the viscosity reasonable then filtered to .5 micron. The list included vegetable oils (least desirable), discarded aviation fuel samples (best results), discarded industrial liquids like alcohols and turpentine. Even found some MEK and acetone that would burn. If it said "Flamable" on the container, I'd try it. Averaged $0.15/gallon for several years.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #15

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
What ever happened to biodiesel from algae? Just clean the hull, put it in a digester and make your own!

Here in the south, we have "Kudzu" - a plant that grows so fast you can see it moving! Convert that to biodiesel - set for life!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Guru

City: gulf coast
Boat propulsion is very inefficient form of transportation so IMO it will be a long time before dino goes away because of diesel's high energy density.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

City: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
What ever happened to biodiesel from algae? Just clean the hull, put it in a digester and make your own!

Here in the south, we have "Kudzu" - a plant that grows so fast you can see it moving! Convert that to biodiesel - set for life!
Biodiesel from algae was a hot start-up company trend about 5-10 years ago. The problem was, and is, what it always is: money. It hasn't been possible to make it at a price that is anywhere near competitive with what conventional diesel sells for.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #18
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Boat propulsion is very inefficient form of transportation so IMO it will be a long time before dino goes away because of diesel's high energy density.
I thought the only form of goods transportation close to the efficiency of water was by rail? What other way of moving people and goods over this planet is more efficient, other than walking?
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
Biodiesel from algae was a hot start-up company trend about 5-10 years ago. The problem was, and is, what it always is: money. It hasn't been possible to make it at a price that is anywhere near competitive with what conventional diesel sells for.
If we added in the costs to mitigate greenhouse gas caused climate change and pollution the actual societal cost of fossil fuels would rise and alternatives would be competitive. It would be the same as if we added into the cost of a pack of cigarettes the costs of treating the cancers and heart disease they cause. I assume this is one reason why tobacco products cost so much in Europe: the taxpayers through their government pay for the harmful effects of tobacco through their universal healthcare plans. Thus there is a clear reason to price tobacco accordingly.
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #20
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Answer to OP.... No, they are not going away anytime soon. Of course I only know as much as anyone else.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote