Where is Pairadice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interested to hear logistics/fees. Did you use an agent? What is the marina situation these days at both ends?

Thanks in advance - Peter

So the run up the Columbia River a few years ago helped you?

If I recall the lift up and down is not much in the Panama Canal.

What was your cost for the "Advisor" and 2 line handlers?

Good morning TFer’s

We got a very good nights sleep last night here in Shelter Bay on the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal. Still haven’t found a free wifi yet, but I will continue to search for one.

The day before we did the transit, we played like tourists and visited Panama City historical sites, the Old town, the New town, a couple of big churches and a few museums. By far the most interesting was the History museum of the Panama Canal. Lots of information and really helped us to understand the lock operation.

Shelter Bay is located on an old military base and is somewhat isolated. Across the bay is Colon, which we hope to visit tomorrow. Were told its not the safest place to be after dark, but travel in the city during the day is somewhat safe as long as you keep your head on a swivel. As far as we know, this is the only marina on the Atlantic side of the canal for many miles. Its a nice facility, with storage facility, a yard and about 250 slips. A small chandelier, restaurant and bar. A small hotel with pool we can use. Best of all, no surge!
It is the place that many cruisers leave there boat for extended periods.
On the Pacific side we decided to stay on at La Playita Marina. Nice facility and one of 2 Marina’s at the entrance, the other being Flaminko. The slip rate for us during our stay was $1.50 a ft per night plus power. Flaminko was slightly higher at $2.25, but it did have a yard and haul out services. The other option would have been Vista Mar about 20 some miles away. All the marina’s are subject to surge and it can be miserable at times. So lots of chaff material and extra lines and fenders required.

We retained an agent who handeled all the logistics and paperwork involved for the transit. You are required to be inspected and measured by a Canal inspector, pretty much a formality to answer a few questions, and measure the total length of the boat. He also provided the required lines and fenders, the 2 line handlers as well ad the “Advisor”.
The advisor isn’t really a Pilot, most of them only work part time and they co-ordinate everything with regards to lock movements. You can save a couple hundred if you want to do it yourself, but we chose to use an agent. Our total cost for everything was $2,410.00
Because we had done the locks of the Columbia and Snake river a few years ago, we had a real good idea of what to expect. The Pacific side consisted of 3 locks and the Atlantic was 3 also. Maximum rise on any lock was only 30 feet.

So I hope that answered your questions regarding the logistics of transiting the canal.

A soon as I can find a decent wifi, pics will be downloaded.

Cheers!

Glad you got through ok, John. Looking forward to pictures and more info as you travel.

Pretty, pretty cool. Thanks for posting. My sole contribution to add is that my good friend (almost a twin of the actor who plays the head of the biker gang in the TV show The Mayans)in Miami, who came over on the Mariel boat lift, who ‘made his bones’ in Newark NJ, is married to a Colombian from Medellin, where he visits regularly. He’s rather a bad ass, and he said “Cabron, Colon scares the **** out of me!”
Just found a photo of him. That’s Sean Connery visiting HIM because he had heard about him, and wanted to meet him.

Attachments

• B8A27BFB-3FB0-4AC7-8C00-672EE85E4E94.jpg
    B8A27BFB-3FB0-4AC7-8C00-672EE85E4E94.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Good morning TFer’s

We got a very good nights sleep last night here in Shelter Bay on the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal. Still haven’t found a free wifi yet, but I will continue to search for one.

The day before we did the transit, we played like tourists and visited Panama City historical sites, the Old town, the New town, a couple of big churches and a few museums. By far the most interesting was the History museum of the Panama Canal. Lots of information and really helped us to understand the lock operation.

Shelter Bay is located on an old military base and is somewhat isolated. Across the bay is Colon, which we hope to visit tomorrow. Were told its not the safest place to be after dark, but travel in the city during the day is somewhat safe as long as you keep your head on a swivel. As far as we know, this is the only marina on the Atlantic side of the canal for many miles. Its a nice facility, with storage facility, a yard and about 250 slips. A small chandelier, restaurant and bar. A small hotel with pool we can use. Best of all, no surge!
It is the place that many cruisers leave there boat for extended periods.
On the Pacific side we decided to stay on at La Playita Marina. Nice facility and one of 2 Marina’s at the entrance, the other being Flaminko. The slip rate for us during our stay was $1.50 a ft per night plus power. Flaminko was slightly higher at $2.25, but it did have a yard and haul out services. The other option would have been Vista Mar about 20 some miles away. All the marina’s are subject to surge and it can be miserable at times. So lots of chaff material and extra lines and fenders required.

We retained an agent who handeled all the logistics and paperwork involved for the transit. You are required to be inspected and measured by a Canal inspector, pretty much a formality to answer a few questions, and measure the total length of the boat. He also provided the required lines and fenders, the 2 line handlers as well ad the “Advisor”.
The advisor isn’t really a Pilot, most of them only work part time and they co-ordinate everything with regards to lock movements. You can save a couple hundred if you want to do it yourself, but we chose to use an agent. Our total cost for everything was $2,410.00
Because we had done the locks of the Columbia and Snake river a few years ago, we had a real good idea of what to expect. The Pacific side consisted of 3 locks and the Atlantic was 3 also. Maximum rise on any lock was only 30 feet.

So I hope that answered your questions regarding the logistics of transiting the canal.

A soon as I can find a decent wifi, pics will be downloaded.

Cheers!

The experience is just incredible, just to say you've done it. Maybe on repeat trips it's more business than pleasure but we found our trip through just awesome. We arrived during Carnival so were delayed a couple of days enjoying it in Panama City while waiting.

It can be done without an Agent and their support, but I'd never do so. The agent streamlines things, speeds them up and can help you in so many other ways. Ours arranged transportation to pick up a friend at the airport.

Now as you head up the Caribbean side, one of our favorite of all places we've ever visited, Bocas del Toro. We stayed at Red Frog Marina. There are several other marinas. It's a place to spend several days. For us, the trip was about 140 nm, so likely a couple of days for you or a day and night run.

Enroute from California to Florida in 2004, I read David McCullough's "Path Between The Seas," the history of the building of the Panama Canal. An audio book, the reader was McCullough himself. It's a great read made even better by transiting the canal in near real time

The boat admeasured at 64 feet and required a Canal pilot be aboard for the transit. We used an agent who helped arrange all logistics including a berth which was difficult to secure at the time as I don't recall there being a full marina yet anywhere near Flamenco. Timing through the Canal was uncertain so the owner paid a $2000 expedite fee so we were back underway 36 hours after arriving in Panama. We had one line handler equipped with fenders and lines who we dropped at Colon before immediately heading north.

Interesting bit of cruiser history is that the only marina on the pacific side for years was the Pedro Miguel Yacht Club. It was forcibly removed in the 1990s

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/what-ever-happened-to-pedro-miguel/

Peter

Bill Gates takes his family on very unique vacations, not to the top tourist and entertainment locations of the world, but to natural and man built wonders and interesting educational experiences. One he pulled off and has published online was a backstage experience at the Panama Canal. A visit to the underworkings and control center. While most of us can't get that trip, we can read his account.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/about-bill-gates/panama-canal-visit

Oh, and before you worry, they did take the kids to the beach after. Guess it's part of growing up with geeky parents.

Pics of canal transit

Below are a few of the many pics we took while transiting, as well as a screenshot of the live feed.

Attachments

• 12E730A1-8E86-412B-BB0C-8672F8655D82.jpg
    12E730A1-8E86-412B-BB0C-8672F8655D82.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 582BD23F-53EF-48FE-B992-6DC0317B9E43.jpg
    582BD23F-53EF-48FE-B992-6DC0317B9E43.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 89DE474A-242B-424F-B8D9-CD296A4AD7A6.jpg
    89DE474A-242B-424F-B8D9-CD296A4AD7A6.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 16
  • E83F92BA-3B18-4107-99D2-8064492590D1.jpg
    E83F92BA-3B18-4107-99D2-8064492590D1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 65D89D20-F537-4ADC-B0A6-6035EEC806F0.jpg
    65D89D20-F537-4ADC-B0A6-6035EEC806F0.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 909547BB-222E-462A-8AB6-E7277A9FFDA8.jpg
    909547BB-222E-462A-8AB6-E7277A9FFDA8.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ED0B8817-F0CF-43F5-B246-0B61E3E484AB.jpg
    ED0B8817-F0CF-43F5-B246-0B61E3E484AB.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 775B6731-1B19-4828-A0BC-15185C29A95A.jpg
    775B6731-1B19-4828-A0BC-15185C29A95A.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 19
  • F686C847-2629-4865-9CBC-2625A3B1E6CD.jpg
    F686C847-2629-4865-9CBC-2625A3B1E6CD.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BE54EAE8-AB3E-4EC0-A23B-14118BCDB3D5.jpg
    BE54EAE8-AB3E-4EC0-A23B-14118BCDB3D5.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 16
In a few of the pics above you can see the lock walls. Almost all of the walls are the original walls forms over 100 years ago. A few patches here and there, but I was really surprised to learn that the walls are the original walls.
All of the gates that are on the original locks are the same gates that were installed during construction. They remove each gate about every 5 years and install a refurbished gate with a floating crane manufactured in Germany during WW2. This crane is supposed to be the largest floating crane in the world.
Another tidbit, until 1992, Lake Gatun, the lake between the east and west locks, was the largest man made lake in the world.

Shelter Bay

We had some very good friends from Las Vegas made the trip down to Panama for the transit. For Danny, this was his first time onboard Pairadice and Julie was onboard for her 3rd trip with us, we are at Shelter Bay Marina for this pic.

Attachments

• BA2B1834-2B51-4746-AFDE-9116606EF506.jpg
    BA2B1834-2B51-4746-AFDE-9116606EF506.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 53
Pairadice is now making her way up the ICW in Florida. The trip from Panama to Florida was a nasty, lumpy and rolly one, good thing we hired San Diego Captains to bring her up for us. Spent 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale cleaning her up and getting her ready for the next venture. Anchored up in Delray Beach North, and should be in Jupiter this evening. Busy memorial weekend on the water ways down here. IF all goes well we should make So. Carolina to park the boat for the summer.
Cheers

John, good to hear from you about your progress. You and Tracy have been enjoying the trip of a lifetime, something most boaters only get to dream about.

BTW, last I heard from ASD he was in K-Town. That was about a week ago.

Safe Travels my friend.

Thanks for the update, John.

Being back in civilization isn’t all its cracked up to be, but looking forward to some time back at home soon.

Thanks for following along.

John, good to hear from you about your progress. You and Tracy have been enjoying the trip of a lifetime, something most boaters only get to dream about.

BTW, last I heard from ASD he was in K-Town. That was about a week ago.

Safe Travels my friend.

Thanks for following along. It has been a long trip and we are really looking forward to getting off the boat for a few months. We have definitely ticked off several items on the bucket list. Dont know for sure what future trips will be if any. We have put so many miles on Pairadice’s bottom now we might just be ready to hang it up.

Think ASD has departed K-Town, they were waiting on some parts last I heard.

How’s that new toy of yours doing, have you guys at least taken her out for a weekend yet?

Cheers

Pairadice is now making her way up the ICW in Florida. The trip from Panama to Florida was a nasty, lumpy and rolly one, good thing we hired San Diego Captains to bring her up for us. Spent 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale cleaning her up and getting her ready for the next venture. Anchored up in Delray Beach North, and should be in Jupiter this evening. Busy memorial weekend on the water ways down here. IF all goes well we should make So. Carolina to park the boat for the summer.
Cheers
If you come to Fort Pierce City Marina (Nice marina BTW) stop by and say Hi. We're on B-Dock on a blow boat named Gallivant.

Hey ya’ll!

Yes were in South Carolina getting Pairadice prepped for the summer months while we head home for a much needed break from the boat.
Almost 10 months this season, 4,725 KM have passed under her hull. From San Carlos, MX down the coast, through the canal and now back in civilization in SC.
Thanks to all of you that followed us on this, our longest journey.
We cant say enuff about joining the Panama Posse, a wealth of information and meeting some of the coolest people that travel on a boat.

Cheers all!
John, Tracey & Patches
MVPAIRADICE

It's been a grand trip, vicariously joining you. It's really great that you met up with Mark and Cindy/Delta Swizzler from the CA Delta. Great folks.

It was Mark who took my GG Bridge avatar photo from Delta Swizzler on the day he left the bay for his left turn southbound. We had just spent a few nights at anchor waiting for winds to calm a bit. Great times!!

Enjoy your dirt cruise!

Hey ya’ll!

Yes were in South Carolina getting Pairadice prepped for the summer months while we head home for a much needed break from the boat.
Almost 10 months this season, 4,725 KM have passed under her hull. From San Carlos, MX down the coast, through the canal and now back in civilization in SC.
Thanks to all of you that followed us on this, our longest journey.
We cant say enuff about joining the Panama Posse, a wealth of information and meeting some of the coolest people that travel on a boat.

Cheers all!
John, Tracey & Patches
MVPAIRADICE

Wifey B: I think it's interesting how most of us who love boating so still find we enjoy breaks from it to head home at some intervals. Some sooner than others. Now, of course, there are others for whom the boat is home. That means that for those jumping in then whether to maintain a land home or not is something none of us can really know right for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom