Old 10-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Oriente
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
What new boat features is your old boat missing?

My wife and I starting an interesting conversation about what must have features on new boats are we missing with a 20 year old analog boat. I watch the YouTube reviews and there are some interesting transforming boats with tons of seats, fold down balconies, cup holders and USB ports everywhere. Some of these items are neat and some make me cringe with the idea of trying to get the gadget fixed in the future. At some point those four fridge draws, two grills, 20 inch chart platters and hydraulic windows are going to need to be replaced or fixed.

We are a cruising couple so having a boat set up for hosting parties for 16 people with people on sun pads isn’t in our needs.

The question is what features do these new digital boats have that you can’t add to your existing boat that would make your overall boating experience better?

On my list is
-a side entry door which would make loading easier.

The items I can do are:
-bow thruster - $5,000
-new cushions, countertops, faucets - $7,000
-new windows - $10,000
-usb plugs - $40

Love to hear your list.
boating rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Nothing in particular comes to mind. If I want something new chances are that I can add that item. A lot of the new stuff doesn’t interest me. Especially some of the new look doesn’t appeal to me. I prefer a more classic look.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I just finished a massive refit on my 1969 28 foot sedan cruiser. With the money I spent, I could easily have afforded 4 new Tesla's with money left over. So I didn't want to do a restore job but a renovation instead, so new electronics, electrical and supporting cast, new thruster, and on and on.

When my refit guy asked if I wanted to install a microwave I said no, I barely use the one at home. But I found while living on boat for one week spurts, taking the time to learn systems and break in the new motor, my desire to use a microwave went up. So I bought just about the cheapest 700 watt (uses 1050 watts, it takes power to make power) .7 cubic inch microwave, all plastic (won't rust) jobbie I could find. Master Chef from Canadian Tire for my Canadian friends.

I also ended up purchasing a cheap, low watts, not smart tv but one with an integrated DVD player. The tv is only 28 inches, is very light, I can store it between coats and stuff hanging in one of two lockers and the coats acts as shock absorbers during choppier trips.

I'm now considering a WIFI extender to improve the signal in my marina which isn't that great and dies during certain high usage times during the day.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Our boat is pretty well equipped. Sometimes I wish it had electronic shifters, which can be added. That's about it, though.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I can't think of anything I might have wanted -- that I couldn't add if I wanted it enough.

More engine data, for example, than from our mechanical Cummins 8.3s; would have liked to have EGT and so forth, but... didn't "need" that enough to bother with.

Once structural features are satisfactory, often addressed during the initial shopping phase (a new side entrance door, for example) everything else I'd want seems to be user-addressable.

-Chris
Old 10-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I think I have added all the extra cupboards possible, under berth storage with hydraulic assist, an 'over kill' range hood, fuel polisher, water maker, 2 new reverse cycle A/C. Still stuck with a need for a larger hanging closet.
I am going to move most of the boat's read outs from the VesselView to analog gauges.
Of course I could upgrade all the electronics but the next owner needs to spend the money for what he likes (wink)
I can see the end of additions and upgrades. Now, I hope I can get it all done without other stuff breaking. SMIRK
When I buy and install the wooden helm wheel, this boat will be completed.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
The first thing that comes to mind is the seating/ergonomics of the flying bridge on our 30 year old boat vs new boats. Ours has that typical old trawler seating configuration of two back to back double wide bench seats (one starboard, and one port) with storage underneath. It was a bad idea in the 60's or 70's on a trawler, and still being manufactured in 1990 when our boat was made. Classic, but bad. I've seen a couple of nice "remodels" of the bridge area, but have yet to tackle that and actually have not yet figured out how I would lay it out if we were doing it. I know it would involve a nicer helm chair, that is higher than the old benches, and the passenger seating would be raised as well. Oh, and might as well add a nice hardtop up there while we are at it. It's an easy project since we are just typing in a thought rather than actually doing it
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Guru

City: West Coast
My boat is 10 years old and I spent a lot of time figuring out how I wanted it configured before having it built, so not much has come along that I wish I had or had even considered. Seakeepers were pretty new 10 years ago and I didn't give them much thought. I now wish I had, but probably would not have given up the room, anywhere, that they require. My boat also has a lot of screens for the display of shared nav data, etc. HDMI existed but somehow I went with VGA wiring throughout. I have since ripped out all of that VGA wiring and replaced most of the screens, now using HDMI throughout. I am very pleased with that upgrade. I don't have, or want, hydraulic windows, or big windows in the side of the hull, or euro-styling, or any of the other stuff that is now trendy. Conversely, I am glad to have a few things that are now widely considered obsolete, starting with SSB. Similarly, I sometimes wish for the security of purely mechanical engines, though it is nice to never see or smell any hint of diesel exhaust.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
A bigger TV. We're going to hire a cabinet maker and have the salon cabinets modified to get a pop up TV installed. Current TV might be 19" diagonally measured. New chart plotter, the old chart plotter and radar take up too much room and are very bulky. Maybe next year I'll change that, otherwise it's minor repairs here and there. Oh - next boat, dishwasher.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the seating/ergonomics of the flying bridge on our 30 year old boat vs new boats. Ours has that typical old trawler seating configuration of two back to back double wide bench seats (one starboard, and one port) with storage underneath. It was a bad idea in the 60's or 70's on a trawler, and still being manufactured in 1990 when our boat was made. Classic, but bad. I've seen a couple of nice "remodels" of the bridge area, but have yet to tackle that and actually have not yet figured out how I would lay it out if we were doing it. I know it would involve a nicer helm chair, that is higher than the old benches, and the passenger seating would be raised as well. Oh, and might as well add a nice hardtop up there while we are at it. It's an easy project since we are just typing in a thought rather than actually doing it
Since you are only dreaming: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/todd-...91?recordNum=5

I have one like this, and it stands between the fixed back to back seating, though as tight to one side as possible. In that position, getting past is easy, and the seating position gives me a much better view, being about 15" higher than on the benches. I can easily reach engine controls, radio and plotter controls. No other modification to the seating has suggested itself to me.

A roof would add to the venturi effect that even my Bimini creates, so that when driving from up top, the Bimini gets folded back to eliminate the cold wind created by that venturi effect. A fixed roof would make that effect permanent, so would then necessitate a full enclosure.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It’s missing a lot of new stuff.

But I don’t think I need any of it.

I do actually need an anchor windlass but ... that’s nothing new.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
A bigger TV. We're going to hire a cabinet maker and have the salon cabinets modified to get a pop up TV installed. Current TV might be 19" diagonally measured. New chart plotter, the old chart plotter and radar take up too much room and are very bulky. Maybe next year I'll change that, otherwise it's minor repairs here and there. Oh - next boat, dishwasher.
Fell down that rabbit hole with our Motorhome. When the 2007 TV died, in 2015, there was no TV on the market to fit the custom opening, so I found a larger, newer style TV that would mount inside the old opening, leaving a large open space at the top or bottom. I left the space at the top and filled it with a piece of fabric. After a couple of years, that TV also died, and naturally, there were now no new replacements of that dimension. This time I bought one that would fit in front of the opening, bought a piece of cherry, filled the (now smaller) space below the new TV. It does look as if the cabinetry is designed to fit the TV, so the next time one dies, the fitting should be easier.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree on not liking all of the expanses of glass on the euro style boats. Seems like you would spend most of the times with the blinds closed at dock or waving while watching tv.

I have been stripping the boat of all of the old wiring, cables and equipment from po. It feels good to get it clean systemwise.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #14

City: oostende
Vessel Name: Lady Penelope
Vessel Model: Trader 54 sunliner
lights in drawers and closets,
need a searchlight to finde something

led lamps fond on a sale now still need to install 32 lamps, some closets have switches ready most need to be installed

greats
Patrick
Patrick4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
My wife and I made the mistake of touring a Carver 37 coupe at a boat show last year. The bathrooms had heated floors. Wonder if I can get an electric blanket as big as a front-porch welcome mat instead and accomplish the same thing?
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick4002 View Post
lights in drawers and closets,
need a searchlight to finde something

led lamps fond on a sale now still need to install 32 lamps, some closets have switches ready most need to be installed

greats
Patrick
May I suggest you use the strips of LEDs. I added some to 5 small lockers.... fantastic. Now to upgrade the the current lighting with the strips of LEDs.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Olddan1943. What LED strips did you use? I have purchased some of the roll led for $15 and they seem too cheap but work well if you can get them to stick.

I try not to go to boat shows so I have not seen how the oem folks do it.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #18

City: oostende
Vessel Name: Lady Penelope
Vessel Model: Trader 54 sunliner
i found these they work on 12v
i have put 2 diode in serie with the lamps so they can resist to 15v when charging
Attached Thumbnails
led.jpg  
Patrick4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I can't think of anything I might have wanted -- that I couldn't add if I wanted it enough.

More engine data, for example, than from our mechanical Cummins 8.3s; would have liked to have EGT and so forth, but... didn't "need" that enough to bother with.

Once structural features are satisfactory, often addressed during the initial shopping phase (a new side entrance door, for example) everything else I'd want seems to be user-addressable.

-Chris
I have the same engine :-)

Seaboard just started advertising a digital dash for our mechanical engines. Has the capability to incorporate all of that nifty engine data into its display
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating rich View Post
Olddan1943. What LED strips did you use? I have purchased some of the roll led for $15 and they seem too cheap but work well if you can get them to stick.

I try not to go to boat shows so I have not seen how the oem folks do it.
Yes, in a roll. And I have had great success with them sticking.