What happened to my navigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I have traveled the entire East Coast in the last three years. My method of navigation was three pronged. Paper charts, raymarine multifunction display, and BlueChart with active captain on my iPad. This for me was a great combination with a lot of redundancy for safety. Well, it appears Garmin bought active captain and discontinued blue charts Mobil. At first glance, it looks like Garmin in trying to force me to go to one of their chart plotters in order to get active captain and the use of a Mobil device as a chart plotter. In a pinch the iPad with blue charts was great. Easy to see big picture quickly. Does any one have a solution other than buying a Garmin plotter.
Ken

Blue Charts Mobile was replaced by Navionics Boating. It has Active Captain. There are other mobile apps that have AC besides Garmin though. Aqua Maps is one and is very popular.

I used to use Active Captain extensively.

When it went away, at first I fretted....then started using waterway guide.

Now I dont miss Active Captain at all....most of the reviews and hazards were overblown in my experience.

Navionics is only $25 annual for all of US and included AC. Subscription reqd for all updates but if you cruise an area and download those charts you can continue to use them w/o cell coverage or continuing the subscription. You can experiment with a free trial to see if you like it.
I subscribed primarily for AC access and found I liked the routing & presentation better than my Raymarine MFD and used both consistently.

Aqaumap and MX Mariner both incorporate AC markers. Aquamap also was Waterway Guide markers. Inexpensive tablet apps.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom