Water Rage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hollywood a fourth movie comes to mind.

My first experience with Australian life was a movie, the Sundowners. Ten years later I was in a Tucson hotel bar sharing libations with Robert Mitchum talking about movies he'd made. He had fond memories of shearing sheep in the movie.

Love to hear the rest of that story, Tom.

For some reason I watch a lot of Australian sailors on you tube, and I've grown to appreciate their expressions. Perhaps I am predisposed to it as a southerner and a lover of language.

It's not only the new words I enjoy, but also the way they use existing ones. I've added "heaps" and "chuck it" to my regular usage. I'm also trying to use "meant to" instead of "supposed to" but I haven't been too successful with that one so far. Actually though, I think Australian English is in general much more formal and more grammatically correct than American English, which seems to be comprised of 2/3 slang and 25% error these days (Why have we abandoned the first person pronoun? Please do the world a favor and delete the word "myself" from your vocabulary).

Murray, Murray . . . .

This list is woefully incomplete without “chips.”

Also, if you were going for the plural of “You all,” it isn’t “You All’s.” It’s “All y’all.”

:flowers:

Yes. You All's isn't a word.

All Y'all refers to a group of people. All Yall's is the possessive of All Y'all.

And all Y'all is so much more elegant than the Johnny come lately expression "your guys's" which is just awkward usage.

Obviously not from the northeast (limited area) where the use of "youse guys" with a Brooklyn accent is perfectly acceptable and is a perfect comparable to "y'all".... :D

to show how worldwide acceptable some slang is....

https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/downlo...XqobKLMrTfwbGWC0cJReS7Nz45m1mvDatQsFdD6xwgldl

Yep. You'se guys is the Northern equivalent to Y'all, though not as widespread and more grating than Y'all. Here is an example of common usage: "You'se guys sound so stoopid when you'se say Y'all."

I'm just staggered the linguistic education of you US people is so lacking. We downunder know all the American words. I guess there are a lot more American movies watched here than Aussie movies watched there. But surely you've seen a few more Aussie movies than the Crocodile Dundee series..? :D
Tinnies, bludgers, thongs (instead of flip-flops) - as an ex-Kiwi I have to be careful not to say jandals. Yeah, all good common terms. Mostly shared by NZ, but one that isn't and I had never heard it till we moved here was 'rort.'
Yeah, bet no-one from North America will know that one. No helping them you Oz guys. :popcorn:

You Aussies don't have anything on the Germans! Here is a word that applications in all areas of life. We've all know them, we all wish they got what they deserve, and the Germans have a specific WORD for it! Way to go!:D

Backpfeifengesicht

Now why doesn't English have words like that?!?

Yep. You'se guys is the Northern equivalent to Y'all, though not as widespread and more grating than Y'all. Here is an example of common usage: "You'se guys sound so stoopid when you'se say Y'all."
In Oz,"youse" is the plural of "you". Usually used by the less formally educated.
Like the Sydney suburb "Rooty Hill", referred to in polite circles as "Intercourse Heights".

For those that don't have FaceBook, the video is at this link. And as an added bonus all the "Australian Language" has been bleeped out!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tairu...tion-on-the-water/DXSQUFFG2YVZNLZKFN3MGKTG2Q/
Aha! It occurred in New Zealand, not Australia. But I`m sure we have equally silly people.
A small confession. Years ago we were anchored, with a large number of boats, below the Zoo. A "sports" boat entered the area at 15 knots and dropped anchor, setting all anchored boats rocking. Leaving, I managed a circuit of the offending boat, not at great speed but just enough to administer a dose of his own medicine, accompanied of course by a friendly wave(oops, double entendre).

Aha! It occurred in New Zealand, not Australia. But I`m sure we have equally silly people.
A small confession. Years ago we were anchored, with a large number of boats, below the Zoo. A "sports" boat entered the area at 15 knots and dropped anchor, setting all anchored boats rocking. Leaving, I managed a circuit of the offending boat, not at great speed but just enough to administer a dose of his own medicine, accompanied of course by a friendly wave(oops, double entendre).

Whoops. Well all the same really! :rofl:

My Kiwi wife will kill me!

Whoops. Well all the same really! :rofl:
Not really. For example, NZ is still sucking up to China, Australia is not.
Uh oh, now to define "sucking up".

Of course there is no teaching the idiots manners , but sometimes its fun to try.

Our 90/90 only burns 3/4 GPH , 12 or 13 HP at best , to get a very smooth engine the Volvo MD 3b was chosen.It also has decompression levers and cranks for 2 so was considered a good offshore choice.

The 1 cylinder was rated at 15Hp , the 2 cylinder at 25 and the3 cylinder at 35, though 45 for a few min was possible.

On the AICW we putted at 1500 rpm for 6K or wow!1800 for 6.5K.

Most boats made an attempt at passing , but frankly perhaps 1 in 100 actually knew the proper technique .

At times the waterway would open up to a 1/2 mile wide with a long dock on the shore side.

Hard to resist the temptation to do a full throttle min or two to send some 3 fters in to the folks that were in such a hurry.

Yeah right!

Not really. For example, NZ is still sucking up to China, Australia is not.
Uh oh, now to define "sucking up".

We flog China milk powder, Aussie supplies them with iron ore!
We are used to Aussie claiming all our best stuff, Russell Crowe, Split Enz, Pavlova, Lorde, Keith Urban , the man from Tairua

We flog China milk powder, Aussie supplies them with iron ore!
We are used to Aussie claiming all our best stuff, Russell Crowe, Split Enz, Pavlova, Lorde, Keith Urban , the man from Tairua
May the one way bubble become 2 way soon. Restricted as we are, we would like to revisit NZ,I did a number of cycling trips in the South. Best scenery anywhere,that we can`t steal.

Back
Top Bottom