Wash & Wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
Our boat is painted (Awlcraft 2000) - deck, house, and topsides. The paint is now passing 5+ years old. The paint still looks very good except where I've dinged the hull up on docks and where the lines lead overboard from the cleats, etc. There are specific Awlgrip-ONLY products that are "supposed" to be used with the paint. They are VERY expensive and the "wash" itself doesn't really do much in the cleaning department.

After watching some various car finish/protectant videos on Youtube, I tried one of the best performing ones that had a more "normal" price-point. To say I am amazed is an understatement (so far).

I cleaned everything really well to remove any old products and applied the ceramic "wax" (not really a wax, I don't think). This was was BY FAR the easiest product to apply that I have ever used - on anything. I did everything from the rubrail-up, including the deckhouse, in less than an hour. Mist the surface with the hose, wipe it on, wipe it off. Done.

So far the "wax" has been on for about a month in the FL sun and has been washed twice with the "wash" product.

The video below shows the sheeting action that still remains - amazing. The $$$$ Awlgrip stuff never did that -------- and was 3 times as hard to apply.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClubFiles/597287/attach/2684513_0_CeramicWaxCrop.mp4

I'll report back after a longer usage period, but so far, this is the bomb.

Not sure how it would work on gelcoat, but may be worth a try in an inconspicuous area. If you do your own cleaning/waxing, that is.........

DISCLAIMER
I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with the products mentioned, the management, or the business itself. Your mileage may vary. Names here may not represent real people. No animals were harmed in the making of this post. License required in some states. If redness or rash appears, seek medical advice immediately. May cause drowsiness. May cause cancer in lab animals. If erection lasts longer than four hours, see your doctor immediately.

Attachments

• 20201011_122405 (Medium).jpg
    20201011_122405 (Medium).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 102
Glad to hear you are happy with the ceramic coating. Unfortunately, our experience was not as successful.

We have a dark blue gelcoat hull and were talked into the ceramic coating by the detailer. As far as we could tell the hull was prepped correctly and the product applied correctly. It was stunning after the work was completed.

It didn't take long before we noticed water spotting after rinsing the hull. Then it rained and we had streaks in addition to the water spots. We contacted the detailer and the company whose product we used and were told that blue hulls were notorious for water spotting and the solution was to dry the hull after rinsing. I calmly (not) asked them how we were to dry a 34 foot boat in the water to which they suggested a leaf blower. The detailer offered to repolish the boat to remove the water spots but when the time came to do it they were a "no show".

So as a test we have hand polished one side of the boat in the water that removed about 1/2 of the water spotting. We then applied Collinite paste wax despite having been told that wax won't adhere to the ceramic coating. We did this in late July and so far the wax is still there with lots of beading. Compared to the side we did not do the waxed side has a shine and no water streaking or additional spotting.

Our plan is to machine polish the hull in the spring at haulout and wax it. We were so disappointed in the outcome and the lack of professionalism of the detailer who is well known in our area.

I don't mean to influence anyone's decision on ceramic coatings based on our experience but I would ask specifically about water spotting on a coloured hull.

Glad to hear you are happy with the ceramic coating. Unfortunately, our experience was not as successful.

We have a dark blue gelcoat hull and were talked into the ceramic coating by the detailer. As far as we could tell the hull was prepped correctly and the product applied correctly. It was stunning after the work was completed.

It didn't take long before we noticed water spotting after rinsing the hull. Then it rained and we had streaks in addition to the water spots. We contacted the detailer and the company whose product we used and were told that blue hulls were notorious for water spotting and the solution was to dry the hull after rinsing. I calmly (not) asked them how we were to dry a 34 foot boat in the water to which they suggested a leaf blower. The detailer offered to repolish the boat to remove the water spots but when the time came to do it they were a "no show".

So as a test we have hand polished one side of the boat in the water that removed about 1/2 of the water spotting. We then applied Collinite paste wax despite having been told that wax won't adhere to the ceramic coating. We did this in late July and so far the wax is still there with lots of beading. Compared to the side we did not do the waxed side has a shine and no water streaking or additional spotting.

Our plan is to machine polish the hull in the spring at haulout and wax it. We were so disappointed in the outcome and the lack of professionalism of the detailer who is well known in our area.

I don't mean to influence anyone's decision on ceramic coatings based on our experience but I would ask specifically about water spotting on a coloured hull.

Sorry to hear. Had a dark-ish blue gelcoat hull on my last boat - lots of work to keep oxidation at bay. Not fun.

Realize that this is not the same stuff as the full-ceramic coatings that the franchisers apply - its just a Turtle Wax product. May or may not have the same problem on dark gelcoat that you experienced, though.

Best,

My experience FWIW...
My dark blue hull is Awlcraft paint so different procedures recommended than gel coat. I use a spray bottle of vinegar to give a final rinse after cleaning and it does a good job of getting those water spots off.
On the gel coat areas I've tried several different products but have settled on using GelCoat Labs Polymer. Supposedly designed for gel coat vs most others meant for paint, very EZ wipe thin coat on and hand buff off. Good shine & durability.
With any gelcoat protection the key to looks is in the prep. The GelCoat Labs comes in a cleaner/polish version if it doesnt need any buffing to produce a shine but does need a light cleaning.

I have used the expensive product as well. Could not remove the product and shine the boat as they tell you. Needed a machine buffer to get the stuff off. When I bought the boat, had it detailed. They just used cleaners and wax with machine buffers and it looked great for months. Sometimes I don’t get it . For my cars I still use nu finish. Almost blows off the paint without a lot of arm scrubbing. I have a blue Hull Mainship. Water spots are a problem. Vinegar only works to a point. Any other suggestion? I am done with awl....

I use Mequires nano car wash. It doesn't remove the wax, and leaves a shine. Use same on my show cars. No complaints.

I do wipe the boat down after washing everytime.

I have a blue Hull Mainship. Water spots are a problem. Vinegar only works to a point. Any other suggestion? I am done with awl....
I had a blue hull 32' Gourmet Cruiser (Halvorsen) for 8 years and experimented with just about all the coatings that claimed to keep water spotting at bay, None worked! I finally bit the bullet and got a de-ionized water service. The final 4 years I had the boat I just rinsed it down after every use and let it air dry. No spots! Just like using "Jet dry" in your dish washer to keep your glasses spotless. A tank with a 6 weeks capacity was $18/month + $71.00 per tank change. Sounds expensive, I know, but the boat looked fabulous right up to the day I sold it. I continued this service for the next 5 years on a 42 Ocean Alexander Sedan with the same results. Conclusion: White hull or colored, you just can't beat de-ionized water for a spotless boat!

/Users/walterpoulson/Desktop/SeaHorse II.jpg

/Users/walterpoulson/Desktop/Sandpiper 2.jpg

I have a blue Hull Mainship. Water spots are a problem. Vinegar only works to a point. Any other suggestion? I am done with awl....
I had a blue hull 32' Gourmet Cruiser (Halvorsen) for 8 years and experimented with just about all the coatings that claimed to keep water spotting at bay, None worked! I finally bit the bullet and got a de-ionized water service. The final 4 years I had the boat I just rinsed it down after every use and let it air dry. No spots! Just like using "Jet dry" in your dish washer to keep your glasses spotless. A tank with a 6 weeks capacity was $18/month + $71.00 per tank change. Sounds expensive, I know, but the boat looked fabulous right up to the day I sold it. I continued this service for the next 5 years on a 42 Ocean Alexander Sedan with the same results. Conclusion: White hull or colored, you just can't beat de-ionized water for a spotless boat!

Attachments

• SeaHorse II.jpg
    SeaHorse II.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 37
  • Sandpiper 2.jpg
    Sandpiper 2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 34
I use Shurhold products. I then use Meguir's quick wax to keep the shine.

We have a painted hull and use Awlwash or the Mer-Maids stuff and for wax our person has been using the Collinite line of products with success.

-tozz

Back
Top Bottom