Type of Dingy, Inflatable or NOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you intend to tow? Or are you going to put it on the boat deck? Rigid dinghies are easier to tow than inflatables. If you are going to AK this summer and travelling through BC waters, we found that we towed more than we had the unit on the boat deck. If I was in your position, (and I am) I would choose rigid with mooring whips on the swimstep.

Edit Note: I just saw Klee Wyck's post and I like his Lund! Good choice and it would just fit on your boat deck.

Last edited:
The 12 foot all aluminum Lund WC-12

:confused:
Just looked at the website and they are all riveted, how 1950's :eek:

Our alloy dingys are fully welded here.

How flat is the V in the bum on that?
Any normal dinghy shapes I have used are fairly unstable which is why I have the vnose punt linked to earlier.
Flat bottom punt in the back half for stability and some v in the bow to break the chop.

images

images

None too welcome here either. Response could be a full face whack with a handbag. Especially if addressed to a guy.:rofl:

Wifey B: I know, but I've been called worse and lived through it so no slapping from me. :D

Aluminum/Aluminium dinghies

In Australia Quintrex was an early builder (? the originator) of these, many well above dinghy size, excellent fishing platforms, well developed design and build quality. They are colloquially called "tinnies".
Popular in Queensland where they have to withstand coral etc and weight disadvantage is outweighed by durability. Whereas to the south, inflatables rule,though sometimes with AL external under panels.

We when with the plastic Polycraft 3 meter Tuff Tender for our dingy. Its very stable, almost indestructible and won't mark a boat if it rubs up against it. We put an 8hp mariner on it but it would go better with a new light weight 9.9 two stroke. Great little boat.

Not all Bullfrogs have a center console. Their 10' Utility tender does not have a console and it weighs (without motor) 220 lbs. For comparison a Highfield RIB in a comparable size, their CL 310, weighs in (without motor) at 132 lbs. Yes, 88 lbs separates the two but is it a deal breaker when you consider all the benefits of the Bullfrog?

Ah; I only glanced at the first models I saw, just didn't notice a non-console version.

Our non-console RIB weighs 135-lbs, and the reason we don't have a console is that I'm not comfortable adding that much more weight in the place (and to the system) where we carry ours (transom).

I wouldn't see the extra weight as a deal breaker for everyone, though. Would think the other factors -- how/where to carry, effort to stow or launch, etc. -- would be equally important.

-Chris

Question for the experts.....

Why are inflatables or rigid inflatables so popular? Anything with air in it will leak or eventually leak, and seemed to be generally heavier and have less space inside.

Why not a good, lightweight 10 to 12 foot boat, made with light weight materials. Primarily for running to shore, exploring, easy of loading and launching, and holding more stuff or bodies? Probably not as seaworthy as a RIB, but that's probably not to goal to fight heavy seas to grocery shop or run to shore?

Would that work for Richard?

Seevee,
Ribs are popular because they are popular. And they are popular because they are new ..ish.
Out w the old in w the new.
I don't get it either.

Perhaps it's convenience. Like the Claw anchors. There wouldn't be many of them if there weren't swim steps.

Simi 60,
Riveted works very well under very severe service in Alaska. At least half of the skiffs up there are riveted. They are by far the most popular skiff in AK. I think they make an 11' that weighs about 110lbs. Oh and almost all the skiffs in AK are tiller rigged. Basic .. like a dinghy should be.

Soft bottom inflatables were popular because they could be deflated, rolled up, and store for passages. RIBs became popular because they could be deflated and stored on deck for passages. RIBs became more widely popular because they are extremely stable, can take a lot of weight, and can take a large motor. The RIBs also don't mark up the primary vessel when they run into it, is just one large fender.

Seevee,
Ribs are popular because they are popular. And they are popular because they are new ..ish.
Out w the old in w the new.
I don't get it either.

Eric, the reason you don't get it is because you have not owned and used one as a tender. The fact is their popularity is because they have so many upsides, and so few downsides. For a start, the hypalon the good ones are made of is damn near indestructible, which is why the armed forces, and Navy use them all the time. They are actually quite hard to puncture, (it is claimed it takes as much force to drive a nail through one as it does to drive a nail through corrugated iron - I've not tried that however), but even if they are, a bit of a sand down, contact glue and a patch, not even needing to deflate to fix, and you are good to go in no time. (ask me how I know)

They are light, so don't take much power to drive them, and can be deflated to take up less room, and quickly inflated by cannisters if necessary, hence their use as life-rafts and for aeroplanes. Added to that their stability, as one can literally jump onto one edge and they will still not tip and throw you into the water. Great when transferring or boarding off a bucking swim-step and dinghy, believe me..!

Most are multi-compartmented so they don't sink, even if one pontoon is punctured. My Tinker Tramp has 4 compartments. The abuse they can take is amazing. Our poor thing was rolled up for years in a hot shed when we were between boats, then when back on a boat, the 'protective' cover fell to bits - several of them over the years, in fact - so I gave up covering it, and yet it is still so UV resistant I can't kill the thing, even though the colour has faded beyond recognition.

Finally, as has been mentioned, they are like one big fender, so no need to worry about bumping the mother craft's hull, or clanking away all night from wave slap as tinnies do. That about covers it for now. And yes, I have also used rigid dinghies of all types. To me, as a boat tender, there is just no contest, but I might add the rider, best to have a folding rigid floor if at all possible. Mine does, as you can see in the avatar pic. :thumb:

Last edited:
Ahhhh Dave,
Stability. That, is the one I missed. And could be the most important one of all. Tippy? Ewew. Fear of tipping over. So if ya put your food in the wrong place in a canoe while stepping aboard ya tip over. Of course .. boating requires thinking. Course if ya put water wings on a real boat you even get more stability. So why haven't water wings caught on? Oh yea ... it would look like you're riding a bicycle w training wheels ... an incompetent.

Peter,
Mostly correct but only a very few are light. I have a 10' FG dinghy and it weighs less than 100lbs.
But your "dosn't take much power to drive them" must be from another planet. The only thing you can do w them in the water that is worth doing is reading a book. Like a swiming pool activity. All of them are total dogs in motion. That is .. compared to an aluminum skiff or a Trinka or similar.

Last edited:
I am getting closer and closer to going with the GHBW 10' Navigator to use as a tender.

Probably not as seaworthy as a RIB, but that's probably not to goal to fight heavy seas to grocery shop or run to shore?

Would that work for Richard?

Ah you just hit one of our biggest reasons. Our tender/RIB is not to grocery shop or run to shore. It is to get out and explore. On our Manhattan 65, we carry a 12'6" Jet Tender on our Swim Platform. It has a 120 hp Textron engine and top speed of 46 knots. It's rated for 5 people and carries five ok, but four very comfortably. We can run 5 nm along the coast then 10 nm back in a river, under a bridge, an area we can't get to in a regular boat. Then back out and another 5 nm along the coastal bank before we turn around and head back. So 40 nm and perhaps do so averaging 15 to 20 knots so do it all in 3 hours. We can quickly circle islands. Oh and it weighs only 800 lbs. Now still in a Rib we could run an 12' Novurania with a 40 hp Yamaha and it weighs 640 lbs and will plane and comfortably run 30+ knots.

Seaworthy is also important as we might end up in some moderate seas.

Like our boats we all use dinghies or tenders differently. As to whether hard styles would work for Richard, I'm sure they would. When it's him and one other person and the use of the tender is only running to and from shore then that means smaller can certainly work.

The other source of inaccurate perception is that not all RIB's or inflatables anymore than all aluminum or fiberglass are created equal. I read of the worry of puncture and leakage. Well, in a quality Hypalon RIB they are minimum. We carry patch kits but never have used one. As to leakage, depending on temperatures, we find a need to add a little air about once a month, although we do it more often. I do think keeping them properly inflated is important for maintaining them.

They are subject to color damage from sun and for that reason we keep a cover on. They're small and a cover is relatively affordable. It protects them in many ways.

Probably the only way to really know what you like best is to try different kinds. However, in the short run, it's just looking at your specific needs, now what others might need. We've run 100 nm in ours in a day. Others don't run more than 1000 ft to shore.

Simi 60,
Riveted works very well under very severe service in Alaska. At least half of the skiffs up there are riveted. They are by far the most popular skiff in AK. I think they make an 11' that weighs about 110lbs. Oh and almost all the skiffs in AK are tiller rigged. Basic .. like a dinghy should be.

Prawn 1.jpg
This skiff is probably 40 years old. Riveted and still going. It's a Smoker Craft that washed up on a friend's beach. It's caught more lbs of prawns than you can shake a stick at. I wouldn't hesitate to have a riveted skiff for a dinghy.
Prawns.jpg

Jim

Peter,
Mostly correct but only a very few are light. I have a 10' FG dinghy and it weighs less than 100lbs.
But your "dosn't take much power to drive them" must be from another planet. The only thing you can do w them in the water that is worth doing is reading a book. Like a swiming pool activity. All of them are total dogs in motion. That is .. compared to an aluminum skiff or a Trinka or similar.

Eric, again, all I can say here is that you are just plain wrong. My ducky is probably heavier than most of the 9 foot length because of that very substantial collapsible tiber section floor, yet I can lift it alone quite easily, although haven't weighed it. Doubt if it would be 100lbs though.

As to taking power to drive them. What are you comparing with..? Your description sounds like you are thinking of the first inflatable we had, which was literally a large Euclid earthmover type tyre tube encased in a vinyl cover to squeeze it into an elongated oval shape. It had rigid board floor inserts. It was heavy, and yes, it rowed and even powered by a 4hp Merc outboard was a dog. But they've come a long way since then.

Modern inflatables zoom along with anything between the 2hp Honda I use, up to many that can handle 15 to 30hp, depending on size. BandB's rib is a totally different concept, but he has a huge mother vessel to manage it with. Most of us with inflatables go plenty fast enough with between 2 to 8 hp. You appear to be quoting from experience or observations that are very outdated. I suggest you go get one, and really have some fun. :flowers:

PS. For anyone interested, here is a good u-tube video of what our Tinker Tramp looked like in sailing set-up, but our sail is yellow, not white. I think if you watch it Eric, you'll see why I question your comment..."But your "dosn't take much power to drive them" must be from another planet. The only thing you can do w them in the water that is worth doing is reading a book." in particular.

Last edited:
You don't have to get a RIB for stability but these do like a bit of horsepower to get them going.

0_4.jpg

0_4.jpg

For a start, the hypalon the good ones are made of is damn near indestructible, which is why the armed forces, and Navy use them all the time.

They don't really care about longevity, they have a bottomless pit of taxpayers money.
It could be argued that they want things that fail so as to ensure all moneys are spent and budgets aren't cut the following year.

You'll rarely see commercial operators using them , never on a fishing or work boat and the repair shop near me seems to always have plenty of Them in their yard being fixed so that says a lot to me.

You don't have to get a RIB for stability but these do like a bit of horsepower to get them going.

pg

vnose punts are good as well
I can hapilly stand on the edge of mine without swimming.:thumb:

Seen a few Kellick dorys on the back of boats recently.
Nice boat and very stable as you see the wives step off the duck board onto the bow and in and they hardly move.
Silly money though in my opinion, $30k for a dinghy.
https://www.tradeboats.com.au/tradeaboat-reviews/boats/1011/kellick-dory-16-review

Last edited by a moderator:
When I spent a year on the water in Queensland I took my tinnie that I use in W.A. for fishing with me as the tender. Although it's too big at 4.00 mtr's it's all I had.
I wanted to get a smaller tender but was too inexperienced/green to buy without some knowledge.
So,after asking almost every boatie and that was many about their tenders, I concluded that :-
yacht owners - (ragtops) love inflatables ( but buy new ones every season)
motor boats - (stink boats) love tinnies and bash 'em around (and don't need to buy new one's again) :thumb:
Reason... yachties need to stow it on deck or packaway
motor boaties use a davit or tow it.

An inflatable costs over a $100 TO GET A PUNCTURE REPAIRED.... if you can get the no good drunk at the chandlery to fix it this week...think about it !! $$$$$$$'s over a year.

How many times do you bump into a pier or pylon encrusted with barnicles or come ashore and it's strewn with oyster shells or crushed rock / coral or a stick or root sticking up outta the mud or muck. P'ssss flat by morning:nonono:
All over Queensland at marinas there are heaps of inflatables lying around like soggy donuts.

a little poly or multi hull is the go.

Think you have enough input hey :) We have a fiberglass Jolly Boat dinghy and it is awesome in the water as far as getting around, planning, and stability. BUT, get it around the mother ship and it is a nightmare. Glass on glass is not good. Several repairs to the mother ship because of it. No mater where you put the fenders they are in the wrong spot. If you are lifting it with a crane to the water and a wake comes by you have a very good chance that it will hit the mother ship. We finally put a hydraulic swim platform lift on and it solved this issue. If and when I buy another one I will be going back to a AB inflatable.

When I spent a year on the water in Queensland I concluded that :-
yacht owners - (ragtops) love inflatables ( but buy new ones every season)

Sorry mate. Wrong conclusion. I have used a rubber ducky in Queensland for the last 14 years, and never had a puncture that deflated the boat in use. Got about 3 slow leaks over that time that cost basically zero to repair. I had a chunk of spare hypalon, and how cheap is a bit of sandpaper and some good contact adhesive. A repair shop might charge $100, but that'd be a rip-off..! And no way does anyone get a new rubber ducky every season.

motor boats - (stink boats) love tinnies and bash 'em around (and don't need to buy new one's again) :thumb:
Reason... yachties need to stow it on deck or packaway
motor boaties use a davit or tow it.

Sorry, wrong again. Over those 14 years my observation has been that motor boaties use inflatables every bit as much as yachties...possibly more, as most yachties just tow their dinghys unless doing an open water passage.

An inflatable costs over a $100 TO GET A PUNCTURE REPAIRED.... if you can get the no good drunk at the chandlery to fix it this week...think about it !! $$$$$$$'s over a year.

Wrong again. See comment re repairs above.

How many times do you bump into a pier or pylon encrusted with barnicles or come ashore and it's strewn with oyster shells or crushed rock / coral or a stick or root sticking up outta the mud or muck. P'ssss flat by morning:nonono:
All over Queensland at marinas there are heaps of inflatables lying around like soggy donuts. Really - never seen that. A little poly or multi hull is the go.

If you are careful that doesn't happen, but hey, you're welcome to your opinion. I'm just correcting some definite errors, because clearly, like some other posters, you are theorising, having not actually owned an inflatable, and I don't think it right to possibly deter others with incorrect opinions..,just sayin'... :flowers:

Lots of misinformation on inflatables.....if you are in the market for one....and your type of cruising and dingy use is average, they can have as many good or better traits than others.

Agree with PeterB's comments above....

So many myths, so little energy to dispute them all...... :D

And In a perfect world, I prefer hard dingies over inflatables too.....bur like all boats, compromises are inevitable.

Last edited:
Ah you just hit one of our biggest reasons. Our tender/RIB is not to grocery shop or run to shore. It is to get out and explore. On our Manhattan 65, we carry a 12'6" Jet Tender on our Swim Platform. It has a 120 hp Textron engine and top speed of 46 knots. It's rated for 5 people and carries five ok, but four very comfortably. We can run 5 nm along the coast then 10 nm back in a river, under a bridge, an area we can't get to in a regular boat. Then back out and another 5 nm along the coastal bank before we turn around and head back. So 40 nm and perhaps do so averaging 15 to 20 knots so do it all in 3 hours. We can quickly circle islands. Oh and it weighs only 800 lbs. Now still in a Rib we could run an 12' Novurania with a 40 hp Yamaha and it weighs 640 lbs and will plane and comfortably run 30+ knots.

Seaworthy is also important as we might end up in some moderate seas.

Like our boats we all use dinghies or tenders differently. As to whether hard styles would work for Richard, I'm sure they would. When it's him and one other person and the use of the tender is only running to and from shore then that means smaller can certainly work.

BANDB,

Good points, and exploring is a good reason to have one. I'd like to use my kayak for exploring, but doesn't have close to the range that a powered dinghy would.

Your Jet Tender sounds HUGE, and probably too big for a lot of us, and probably not needed. Seems like the bulk of us here would want one for the shopping or lunch trip, and some exploring for the most part.
And as mentioned in the thread, weight IS an issue.

And, as for the RIBs and inflatables never leaking, I'd say baloney to that. They all leak, just a matter of time, some better than others. In my boat shopping, I have not found ONE inflatable that the owner didn't say it leaked. Not saying I won't end up with one, just because there's 1000s of them out there compared to non inflatables. But sure seems like there would be more options for a non inflatable, especially plastic, like some of the canoes are made from.

Question for the experts.....

Why are inflatables or rigid inflatables so popular? Anything with air in it will leak or eventually leak, and seemed to be generally heavier and have less space inside.

Why not a good, lightweight 10 to 12 foot boat, made with light weight materials. Primarily for running to shore, exploring, easy of loading and launching, and holding more stuff or bodies?

Not an expert, but chiming in on other responses...

First, yes a solid boat could work for anyone, depending on requirements, usage pattern, etc. They often have more interior space, given the same beam as a comparable-length inflatable or RIB. And they generally row better, although there are lots of "generallys" across the board that can go south, rigid or inflatable, depending on brand and model.

Anyway, we've had to traverse rough water from an outer anchorage -- rough enough so we wouldn't have been comfortable in a solid, heavy boat less than about 14' long with proportional beam... just too choppy, confused, we'd have been confined to the big boat. And I can tell you, big dogs don't want confining to the big boat for too long at any given time!

And then about that dog thing: 100+-lbs of dog deciding the duck "over there" (other side of the boat) is really interesting makes stability an even more important issue, not easily solved with many rigid boats. (Another "generally.")

Anyway, wifey didn't grow up on the water (So Eric, perhaps like many, she didn't grow up maneuvering around canoes) and that whole stability thing was an important feature. Some rigid boats aren't as tender as others, but for the most part inflatables and RIBs will tolerate standing on the tubes if necessary. That gets even more useful when loading stuff like bicycles and so forth.

Puttering along at slow speeds can be OK for some, but if anchored a few miles from port (resupply) some may choose to go faster. Or if sights to see might involve several miles of travel. Often where at least one direction of travel is against the tide or current. RIBS generally (again) track better than inflatables, hence that becomes a common step up... especially if planing is a criterion.

Inflatables often stow easier than RIBs and rigid boats, and sometimes a user's criteria dictates stowage rules.

Ref "anything with air in it will eventually leak." Well, not necessarily. Punctures can become an issue, of course :) but most are easily fixed. Otherwise, inflatables and RIBs will often hold their charge for a full summer, until ambient temperatures begin to affect tube pressure.

That whole "fender" things is just something you decide is important or not. For us, it's much easier to just allow bouncing off the big boat, instead of spending time fending off or engineering fenders on the dinghy and so forth. In fact, our normal re-board process is to drive the dinghy up against the big boat and hold it there under power while crew off-loads... much like a water taxi might dock.

Just some more thoughts...

In the end, the individual user makes a choice based on applicable criteria...

Edit: sometimes fodder offered in places like this is taken as if intended as the (only) gospel according to the poster... when probably more often, what the original OP (any OP) chooses to do is pretty much up to him or her... and contributors (like me) don't really give a flying rat's a$$ what the outcome is... other than that the OP (any OP) who went out of his/her way to ask... has been able to assimilate enough data to make his/her own informed decision. In this case, as in most, OP is pretty much the only one qualified to make his decision.

-Chris

Last edited:
"And, as for the RIBs and inflatables never leaking, I'd say baloney to that. They all leak, just a matter of time, some better than others"

Besides the hard dinghies we have owned we have had 12 inflatable boats of which 11 were purchased used. Over 25+ years only one had developed a leak which was the result of a stupid strike at speed with an abject that would have partially destroyed a hard boat. Over the time we have had inflatable boats we uses them extensively as we never had a slip and have owned various makes and sized ranging from 9' and 3 hp to 24' and 300 hp. Although the hard dinghies had some advantages the inflatables were the best choice for us by far for many reasons already discussed by others on this post.

If you are careful that doesn't happen, but hey, you're welcome to your opinion. I'm just correcting some definite errors, because clearly, like some other posters, you are theorising, having not actually owned an inflatable, and I don't think it right to possibly deter others with incorrect opinions..,just sayin'... :flowers:

:hide: jeez

Last edited:
HaHaHa .....
What is is and all the facts and BS is out here to be seen by objective eyes and ears.

Peter B,
I actually put my duckie in the water and rowed it to shore. Kept rowing and rowing and rowing and still I wasn't to the beach. Coulda paddled any of my three canoes to that shore and back again w a full load by myself in the same time. And paddling is less efficient than rowing. But I paddle well. I plan on replacing the duckie w the 15' canoe.

Peter your duckie has a better shape than most any other one I've seen. That probably has a lot to do w why you like it. I may even like yours! It's the shape of duckies that ruins it for me. Duckies were created in the image of shipboard cork life rafts of the 30's and those were never intended to move it appears. So if I had yours I may not be bashing them. But everything I've seen around here is a glorified innertube. That's a bit harsh but pretty much true.

Richard, what are your storage needs? Davit to top deck? Swimstep? Folded into storage bag below deck? Do you want to be able to go 15 kts or greater? Big water capable or for use in protected bays getting to shore or other boats?

It's stored on the fly bridge. Use boom on mast with winch to get it up and down.
When I got boat, it had a 12' RIB, Hard floor, with 15hp outboard, electric start.
It was so heavy, the boom system was at it's limit and it jsut barely fit on fly bridge.

SO, tw years ago, going back north before crossing, I got the not so bright idea to downsize.
I did, I traded with someone plus he agave me some cash and I have this 8-9' Baltic with 5 hp outboard.

the issue is the RIB is old and not really fixable anymore.

Also, I was dumb in that I did not realize how slow it would be.

All in all, not one of my better thought out decisions.

But at this point, as I have said, I don't have the money nor desire to get a RIB that will last 100 years. It's simply not where I want to put my meager savings.

I am thinking skiff as opposed to RIB just from a weight, durability stand point.

Maybe Aluminum??

If it's molded plastic, OK. I don't care how ugly it is.

I do like that Poly boat
or aluminum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom