Two Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying nun?

Jack

I'd rather think of our Tolly as a middle aged, experienced weightlifter [powerlifter if you will - like me] in rather trim condition [just a bit overweight]... rather than... Sally Field - The svelte Flying Nin! LOL

Art

Favorite stuff

Upper helm, love it when docking, anchoring

1 new battery bank and monitoring
2 stern thruster-game changer

What I love most about the Mariner 37 as built is the pilothouse. Best place aboard whether at anchor, in our slip, or underway.

The best thing we have added (so far) is the high rise Dinghy Butler. Puts the dinghy out of the way of the cockpit, swim platform, and bridge deck while simplifying launch and retrieval.

Attachments

• IMG_8355.jpeg
    IMG_8355.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 46
1a) Electric motor
1b) Solar power production

2) Sidepower [FONT=&quot]SR 80/185 T[/FONT] retractable stern thruster.

What feature, characteristic or capability of your boat do you absolutely, positively LOVE that:

#1 - came from the builder or previous owners

#2 - you’ve done since you owned it.

#1 Hold and treat sanitary system.
#2 Programmable A/C control for salon A/C and mabru A/C unit for v-berth.

Trojan 10.8 meter flybridge.

1) I'll mention what is a minor issue in a lot of country but for us its the diesel furnace. A PO put it in for their trip to Alaska, so it has plenty of capacity. At the tails of the season it can be quite cool at night in the PNW, flipping on the heat makes the cabin nice and toasty. Even when it is 20F outside it keeps the boat nice and warm.
2) Probably the best thing we've done is new upholstery to freshen the interior. More than anything it makes the boat feel like its ours.

1. Build quality from Formula.

2. Bow and stern thrusters that I installed this winter, will find out in the spring how much I love them.

#1 best feature in any of my boats was a full pilot house.

#2 best upgrade in any of my boats was protection from the sun - whether via overhead shade or heavily tinted saloon windows.

That’s a beautiful engine room @AlanT, but why are there two engines instead of one???

[emoji846]

Why retractable? Is there very little of your stern underwater?

You are correct!
I've seen GL33's with thrusters squeezed on the stern. Even with "hoods" on them, there's not really enough water above for good performance, in my opinion. Also, going the retractable route allowed for a later install of interceptors. Even on a slow-ish semi-displacement boat, I find the interceptors do a nice job bringing the bow down when I decide to run at inefficiently fast speeds.

Attachments

• Interceptors.jpg
    Interceptors.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
You are correct!
I've seen GL33's with thrusters squeezed on the stern. Even with "hoods" on them, there's not really enough water above for good performance, in my opinion. Also, going the retractable route allowed for a later install of interceptors. Even on a slow-ish semi-displacement boat, I find the interceptors do a nice job bringing the bow down when I decide to run at inefficiently fast speeds.

I had no idea you had interceptors. I always thought of them for high speed boats and our first were with the AB although have trim tabs on other boats, but love the interceptors and happened to encounter a Humphree employee who gave me an education on why they make even more sense for slower boats that are more difficult to plane or, if not plane, get up to their maximum speed and get the bow down quickly, that the percent change was far greater. You're still the first though I've encountered with them on a slower boat.

I had no idea you had interceptors. I always thought of them for high speed boats and our first were with the AB although have trim tabs on other boats, but love the interceptors and happened to encounter a Humphree employee who gave me an education on why they make even more sense for slower boats that are more difficult to plane or, if not plane, get up to their maximum speed and get the bow down quickly, that the percent change was far greater. You're still the first though I've encountered with them on a slower boat.

My main reason for installing the interceptors was to get the bow down. And lest anyone be puzzled, these absolutely do not turn my semi-displacement boat into a planing boat. It just makes running at higher speeds "less bad". There are two mostly-unexpected side benefits I experience with the interceptors:
1) They have a stabilization mode. And while I already have static stabilization fins (part of the original hull design), putting the interceptors in stablization mode can make a noticeable improvement in some sea conditions. ~10% improvement maybe? Not a miracle, but every little bit helps. My boat is too small to entertain the idea of installing even the smallest of gyro stabilizers.
2) When I run above 7 knots, fuel consumption is reduced by up to 16% with the interceptors on. While I didn't install them for fuel savings, it's a nice benefit. The larger % savings only occur at the highest of running speeds...which I almost never do anyway -- so, um, I guess that means I'm saving even more ;-)

My main reason for installing the interceptors was to get the bow down. And lest anyone be puzzled, these absolutely do not turn my semi-displacement boat into a planing boat. It just makes running at higher speeds "less bad". There are two mostly-unexpected side benefits I experience with the interceptors:
1) They have a stabilization mode. And while I already have static stabilization fins (part of the original hull design), putting the interceptors in stablization mode can make a noticeable improvement in some sea conditions. ~10% improvement maybe? Not a miracle, but every little bit helps. My boat is too small to entertain the idea of installing even the smallest of gyro stabilizers.
2) When I run above 7 knots, fuel consumption is reduced by up to 16% with the interceptors on. While I didn't install them for fuel savings, it's a nice benefit. The larger % savings only occur at the highest of running speeds...which I almost never do anyway -- so, um, I guess that means I'm saving even more ;-)

Good info but I have to correct you on 1 thing. There are gyro stabilzers made for boats much smaller than yours. Personally I wouldn't bother unless stabilization is a big priority for you, but they do exisit and are options an some small boats now. Seakeeper's smallest model is for boats 23' to 30'.

Good info but I have to correct you on 1 thing. There are gyro stabilzers made for boats much smaller than yours. Personally I wouldn't bother unless stabilization is a big priority for you, but they do exisit and are options an some small boats now. Seakeeper's smallest model is for boats 23' to 30'.

Indeed, you are so right! I so much wanted a gyro that I took a close look at the Seakeeper 2 (31-35') some years ago. While I could have made some major rearrangements to accommodate it physically, I found the thought of always carrying around this extra 414 lbs. of weight daunting. That's like 2 1/2 extra people. Even the Seakeeper 1 is 365 lbs.

So the tradeoff for extra stability in rough seas would be sluggish handling all of the time, diminished fuel efficiency all of the time and probably a 0,5-1,0 knot loss of speed while running in the already-slow electric mode (due to extra friction from sitting lower in the water). Ultimately, I decided it was a tradeoff I wasn't willing to make. I know gyros have been used on some of the larger model Greenlines, however. If I ever decide to step up in size someday, a gyro will be part of that decision, right from the beginning!

I think it's worth it if you are in conditions frequently that warrant it. Even a small center console that spends a lot of time sitting still fishing and bobbing around would see a great benefit.

I think it's worth it if you are in conditions frequently that warrant it. Even a small center console that spends a lot of time sitting still fishing and bobbing around would see a great benefit.

I don't disagree with that. I spend a lot of effort and planning to avoid conditions that would make a gyro interesting ;-) Can't always be done, however.
One thing I wonder about - if you have a small boat, sitting as stable as a rock in the midst of large, breaking waves - does the gyro risk providing stabilization to the point that the boat can't properly ride OVER waves when it needs to -- thus forcing more water to break on the decks? I've never experienced a small boat with a gyro. Must do this some day...

Apologies to the OP. I've been involved in a lot of interesting discussion here, that, in retrospect probably should have moved to a separate thread.

I like this thread - and, in particular, because it requested us to limit our responses to TWO things. Ok...some of us cheated a bit. It really took quite a bit of reflection on the many enhancements I've performed over the years to discover which ones landed near the top of the list.

For me, the stern thruster was easily and automatically #1. Until I bought my single-engine GL33, my long-ago prior experience had only been with twin-engine boats. So add that to windage and a horribly small rudder response while backing on the GL33 and one finds one can easily get into stressful docking situations. So, at the end of the first season, the stern thruster was installed. I always try to see how well I can do without using it first. I've greatly perfected my skills and tricks to overcome the rudder's shortcomings. Nevertheless, it's still great to know the thruster is there to bail you out, if things go hopelessly wrong. Even more important, there is a reason why many call these devices "marriage savers."

For me the answers are really simple, basic things on a simple, basic boat:

1. My favorite factory feature is probably safe passage to and from the fore deck. Our Tollycraft 44 has wide side decks and tall railings that are not stylish, but they are just wonderful to have when needed.

2. My favorite modification is the 73 lb Rocna Vulcan that replaced the 60 lb CQR. We anchor often and that Vulcan has been a tremendous upgrade.

1. My favorite factory feature is probably safe passage to and from the fore deck. Our Tollycraft 44 has wide side decks and tall railings that are not stylish, but they are just wonderful to have when needed.

2. My favorite modification is the 73 lb Rocna Vulcan that replaced the 60 lb CQR. We anchor often and that Vulcan has been a tremendous upgrade.

Tollycraft Side Decks and Plethora of Safety Rails!! Make us happy too!

I could put both of those down for my boat as well, I guess. Good side decks are very nice (mine aren't all that wide, but wide enough and with good rails as well as inboard handholds). And the 73 lb Vulcan (which is definitely overkill for my boat) has done its job flawlessly.

Yes, yes, I know I exceeded the '2 limit' but, I also cheat at the grocery store '8 item' limit too.
8 items for me and 8 items for Yen, my lady. LOL
So far, I have not been beaten to a pulp.

Last edited:
What I love most about the Mariner 37 as built is the pilothouse. Best place aboard whether at anchor, in our slip, or underway.

The best thing we have added (so far) is the high rise Dinghy Butler. Puts the dinghy out of the way of the cockpit, swim platform, and bridge deck while simplifying launch and retrieval.

Wow. First I have seen of that dingy lift. That approach is a helluva idea. Thanks for sharing that.

love that lift. how far away from the stern is the dinghy when you drop it?

1 the design of hull and round stern,she is extremely slippery and zero surfing or being pushed around in following sea

2 Dickinson heater install hooked to thermostat bypass

Last edited:
1. The walk around deck, my dog loves it
2. Installed a freezer, keeps ice cream and party ice. My wife loves it

Happy dog, happy wife, happy life.

Know very little about interceptors on SD boats. Are you or others willing to start a thread to share your experience?

#1. Hard top over fly bridge. It was high on my want list when boat shopping as my last boat was berthed near the fishing fleet in San Diego. Amplify the number of sea gulls by 10. Then sh$t builds up on the canvas over the fly bridge while your gone until it starts to seep through. Ugh. Also, the ability of having the flybridge fully enclosed is great for year round boating.

#2. Bow thruster. Fewer panic attacks. Frankly I think the only time I had a panic attack was before the thruster and trying to maneuver a new to me boat into a slip with the wind blowing 16-18 and my port engine not going in and out of gear effectively. I swore to get a thruster at that time but fixing the shift linkage made a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom