Transit to Key West Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will admit they are just a cross section of humanity from great to criminal.

But even out of their hands except for after storms, freak accidents, etc....giving out factual info is NOT an issue. The USCG will not give you heading, bearings, etc as it relates to you...but often will if it is factual, on a chart, chartable info, etc....for the very reasons some claim bridgetenders can't.

There is no reason for the USCG not to standardize their published info and signs. Then the local jurisdiction to keep them up to date and legible. Out of the many jobs surrounding a draw bridge...I can't believe signs are expensive or difficut to maintain.

A little effort would go a long way into reducing openings and frustration on boaters....and probably bridgetenders who don't alter their states of mind.

Last edited:
Putting aside all the angst surrounding bridges......I made my first trip from Jupiter Florida to Miami in the AICW in 1965 with my parents in a 23 ft cabin cruiser.....alot has changed since then. But if you enjoy seeing lots of interesting houses and boats it is a great run even today! The main thing I would offer as a recommendation is to NOT attempt the run on a weekend or holiday.....lots of really crazy boaters out during those times! A fine mooring field in Ft. Lauderdale makes a good stopping point. I love the run down Biscayne Bay then inside to Marathon.....smooth water and some mangrove creeks to navigate. July is HOT, Humid, with plenty of lightening storms to keep things interesting....as a long time Floridian and Keys boater doing this trip in Late March-May would be my choice.

But they do.......After having several bridges opened for me on the west coast of Fl I had a bridge tender refuse to open for me. He stated over the radio that “those charters go through all of the time without needing an opening”. I took his word for it. I had splintered fiberglass all over the boat. Thankfully the radar mast didn’t hit. I just kept going and spent the next day in Venice replacing the VHF antenna. Still a great trip lol.

You should not request a bridge opening for items that can be lowered such as outriggers, antennas, Bimini tops etc. Failure to do so can result in fine when an unnecessary opening is done.

Of course the bridge tender assumed you would lower your antenna and its not his responsibility determine your bridge clearance.

Putting aside all the angst surrounding bridges......I made my first trip from Jupiter Florida to Miami in the AICW in 1965 with my parents in a 23 ft cabin cruiser.....alot has changed since then. But if you enjoy seeing lots of interesting houses and boats it is a great run even today! The main thing I would offer as a recommendation is to NOT attempt the run on a weekend or holiday.....lots of really crazy boaters out during those times! A fine mooring field in Ft. Lauderdale makes a good stopping point. I love the run down Biscayne Bay then inside to Marathon.....smooth water and some mangrove creeks to navigate. July is HOT, Humid, with plenty of lightening storms to keep things interesting....as a long time Floridian and Keys boater doing this trip in Late March-May would be my choice.

Great point about the weather. We are somewhat constrained by time and slip availability but May is possible. Might even wait until later in the year since we are going to be paying insurance rates for Florida and late October will put us ahead of everyone waiting to cross into Florida in November. Don

Hi... Have done this many times, including trips between Chesapeake Bay & Tampa... For the most fun, going south, turn right at Stuart FL, & take the cross state Lock system to the West Coast ( use the phone # on the Charts to make sure all the Locks are open), coming out at Fort Myers, then head south for Marathon, FL, following the TCW down to Key West.. On the way back, stay on the lower side of the keys, following Hawk Channel, back to the NE, ( Wait for right weather,), up through Biscayne Bay, then north along the ICW. The only problem coming back north, aalong the East Coast, is the Miles & Miles of NO Wake Zones, from Miami north back up to Stewurt.
We ran about 7 knts, in our 390, & had a Great Time....Ken, Tampa

Have done Brunswick to KW many times in a 7 knot trawler. Time your tides, and time the bridges as the are somewhat synced. Lower your antennas, know your air draft and be kind to the tenders. A spoonful of honey and all that. Also never had a discrepancy between the boards and the bridge height, I do rely on the boards. Where there is extra clearance for the steel arch it is stated on the bridge. Helps to have crew available with a set of binoculars.

I prefer the Okeechobee and the west coast for the last leg.

Have done Brunswick to KW many times in a 7 knot trawler. Time your tides, and time the bridges as the are somewhat synced. Lower your antennas, know your air draft and be kind to the tenders. A spoonful of honey and all that. Also never had a discrepancy between the boards and the bridge height, I do rely on the boards. Where there is extra clearance for the steel arch it is stated on the bridge. Helps to have crew available with a set of binoculars.

I prefer the Okeechobee and the west coast for the last leg.

I will disagree that center clearance is always posted.

The boards aren't always correct as there were pages of conflicting reports on the Bridge of Lions on several websites or pubs. Sometimes they are absent.

Even with binocs the tide boards are not always clean enough to read and some are not easy to read because of the angle and or font size.

If you care, bridges might be an issue for some...but not necessarily all.

Last edited:
When transiting the Bridge of lions ,never ask the bridgetender.... Always check with the lions! Firm and Faithful are their names....Local heroes

Greetings,
Mr. f. It's not so much the clearances, it's the number of bridges. 19, If I remember correctly. That being said, it's worth doing at least once. Some interesting "stuff" along the way.

I was going to post the same as Rufus. Lots of bridges, although many of them will be high enough for your boat to pass without an opening. The Palm Beach to Miami ICW has homes and architecture that you will not see anywhere else and you should take that route at least once.

I was going to post the same as Rufus. Lots of bridges, although many of them will be high enough for your boat to pass without an opening. The Palm Beach to Miami ICW has homes and architecture that you will not see anywhere else and you should take that route at least once.

I will gladly admit to my love of ICW cruising, especially in south Florida. And, south Florida, despite the boat traffic, and a lot of bridges, has to be one of the most beautiful trips you can take on the ICW, if you like looking at nice homes on the water.

We used to keep our powerboat in a Sunny Isles Beach marina, and one of our favorite things to do, was get out about 4:00 or 5:00 pm, take a leisurely cruise up the ICW, pull into a waterfront restaurant and tie up, have a nice meal, and then have a leisurely night cruise back to our marina.

Key West Transit

There is a good chance we will finally be taking our 2006 34T Mainship from NC to Key West. Looking for route recommendations (East versus West) once we get to south Florida. Probably looking at June/July time frame for weather if that helps in the recommendation. We prefer to slow cruise (7Kts) but can run 12 if the sea condition and route dictate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Don

We took a Sea Ray 26 from Jacksonville, NC to Islamorada, Fl (with a side trip to Bimini from Stuart) totally on the ICW. We were supposed to go on to Key West but developed mechanical trouble so the trip was cut short. Had we continued, we would have followed the ICW route to Key West. The advantages of this route is: Safety, Scenic, Convenient, Easy. Disadvantages were: Manatee zones, having to follow Markers, Bridges. Considering all of this, If I were going to do it again, I'd still go on the ICW and down the West side of the Keys from Islamorada to KW.

Hi...Hi..
HAVE TAKEN THAT TRIP MANY TIMES. FOR A CHANGE, CME SOUTH TO STUART, TURN RIGHT AND TAKE THE LOCK SYSTEM, ACROSS THE STATE TO FORT MYERS, THEN SOUTH TO KEY WEST, THE TO COME BACK ,TAKE HAWK CHANNEL,on the ocean side of the Keys, back North, come in at Stewart, into the ICW, north, then back home.. Any Questions...E Mail me kongemac@tampabay.rr.com or call 813.93l2.0906.......Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom