Time Spent Working On Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess it depends on what you want out of life...being a boatbuilder or a sailor.

Yep

Its not my dream. But it's his and he pursued it.

I guess the adage of time spent messing around on boats isn't wasted, is taken a bit far here. But so be it

"Messing around with boats"

IS , a time honored part of the boating hobby.

Many folks love "boating" and never leave the slip.

I could think of worse hobbies. Or obsessions. Wonder if it will actually sail though. I suppose after all that time he must have matched some specs somewhere. Shame if it gets launched someday and turtles.

Is a boat that you are building yourself ever “finished”?

Heck, our boat rolled out of the Mainship factory and it's never finished either.

Whatever ya like.....

Seems like there's builders and then there's operators. We see the same in aviation, cars and houses.

I have zero desire to build a boat. Just want enough knowledge to maintain it and I want to be using it, not working on it.

I love his philosophy from the article:

“The problem people have that exercise,” he said, is "they walk and all they get is their shoes wore out — they have nothing to show for this." Hable, instead, tells people, "You should go out in the field, pick some stones, take ‘em home and build a stone house. Then you would have exercise and you would have something to show for it.”

“The point is the doing; the doing is the point.”

Reactions: FWT
It probably will never get finished, but I do not think that is the real goal. It is more a passion and labor of love. Look on the bright side, he is not building his casket.. it is a vessel that has the allure of possible voyages, dreams.
He could of spent his time watching tv or bar hopping.. and just have passed time with no gain.

Good on him.
HOLLYWOOD

I love his philosophy from the article:

“The problem people have that exercise,” he said, is "they walk and all they get is their shoes wore out — they have nothing to show for this." Hable, instead, tells people, "You should go out in the field, pick some stones, take ‘em home and build a stone house. Then you would have exercise and you would have something to show for it.”

“The point is the doing; the doing is the point.”

Completely agree.

Great thread!
I’m 65 and yup, I sold my favorite boat last Oct. But no need to fret ‘cause I bought another one in Sep! I suppose someday I’ll sell the last boat but hopefully that’s a few years out still. I think the tripping point will be when I can no longer safely operate it … poor vision, physically decrepit, cognitively shot, or who knows what. I’ve owned a boat since I was 10 yrs old and have never considered not having one. In fact most of my life I’ve owned more than one at a time ?

Back
Top Bottom