Suggestions for pulling anchor without windlass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchoring solutions

I'm sorry, are we talking when an anchor is tangled or snared or hung up or your windlass breaks down or under normal retrieval operations?

You don't mention how heavy your anchor is?

I have on 2 occasions seen the pulpit and boat drop at the bow in both the Mississippi River and also anchored in the Crystal River in FL when retrieving the anchor; the windlass handled it well.

Our windlass, a Tigress, has both a gypsy and a capstan and IF it stopped working, I also have a bar that inserts in a ring that would enable me to ratchet the anchor in. IT would be a timely task but doable.

IF you are talking about a difficult, stuck anchor then I have an anchor buoy (https://swi-tec.com/product/self-adjusting-anchor-buoy/) that has a strap that is highly rated and is attached to a hole on the shank of the anchor that marks the anchor location as well as providing an ability to retrieve the anchor, pulling it up backwards using the strap and the capstan to retrieve the anchor.

OF course, as was mentioned, you can get your daily workout by muscling the anchor up. I wouldn't want to do that with my 55# Rocna.

Hope your trip up the Champlain Canal went well, we enjoyed both an up & down on the Canal before we started the Erie Canal back in '18.

Stay safe out there.

No way would I want to pick a 100 pound anchor and chain out of the water by hand. However the physics still works with a large enough ball.
I'm having trouble running the formula. 100lb = 12.8 gal displaced. At 235 CI/gal = 3008 CI. The formula for volume of a sphere is V=4/3 (pi)(radius cubed). I am coming up some unrealistic number for the ball radius. Anybody better at algebra?

I'm having trouble running the formula. 100lb = 12.8 gal displaced. At 235 CI/gal = 3008 CI. The formula for volume of a sphere is V=4/3 (pi)(radius cubed). I am coming up some unrealistic number for the ball radius. Anybody better at algebra?

You mean trigonometry?

I get about 9" for the radius so about 18" diameter ball should suffice?
My brief check on line gives water @ 8.33 lbs/gallon and 231 cu in/gallon.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, are we talking when an anchor is tangled or snared or hung up or your windlass breaks down or under normal retrieval operations?

You don't mention how heavy your anchor is?

I have on 2 occasions seen the pulpit and boat drop at the bow in both the Mississippi River and also anchored in the Crystal River in FL when retrieving the anchor; the windlass handled it well.

Our windlass, a Tigress, has both a gypsy and a capstan and IF it stopped working, I also have a bar that inserts in a ring that would enable me to ratchet the anchor in. IT would be a timely task but doable.

IF you are talking about a difficult, stuck anchor then I have an anchor buoy (https://swi-tec.com/product/self-adjusting-anchor-buoy/) that has a strap that is highly rated and is attached to a hole on the shank of the anchor that marks the anchor location as well as providing an ability to retrieve the anchor, pulling it up backwards using the strap and the capstan to retrieve the anchor.

OF course, as was mentioned, you can get your daily workout by muscling the anchor up. I wouldn't want to do that with my 55# Rocna.

Hope your trip up the Champlain Canal went well, we enjoyed both an up & down on the Canal before we started the Erie Canal back in '18.

Stay safe out there.
Thanks Charles, that looks interesting, I was definitely considering an anchor buoy system.

Our trip went very well, I did a brief rundown under "looking for Rookie Stories" since it was our first journey.

I always thought 235/G but not a biggy. I was in fact thinking of diesel for the weight. 8.33 for water sounds better.

I anchor my little SeaSport in up to 200 feet of water to fish many times every summer. I pull the anchor with a ball. The main hazard pulling the anchor this way is getting the rode in the prop. If that happens in places with lots of current the stern can be pulled under. I would never pull from any point other than the bow. If the anchor gets hung the bow will be pulled around into the current.
Do not think getting the stern pulled under can not happen on larger boats. I once watched an 85 foot tug get pulled under when setting a huge barge anchor in lots of current.

What are different options for pulling the anchor without a windlass if needed?

I've seen the anchor ball where you kind of drive around in a big circle, would that work on a slow boat? Right now I've got 1" anchor line with about 15' 3/8 chain set up to drop if needed.

Still trying to find a dock space for this Friday on the mid to upper Hudson river when we make our way North to the Champlain canal.

Thanks.

For your size boat and the cruising that you are probably planning in the near future, you could probably just pull it up by hand. You mentioned the rode but not the anchor type or weight. You're not dealing with lots of chain and unless your anchor is oversized, it shouldn't be too heavy. There are also options like a lightweight Fortress for example. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with an anchor ball if I didn't need to. In the future you could add a windlass, but I would first look at getting a proper anchor and rode set up and sized to your boat.

For your size boat and the cruising that you are probably planning in the near future, you could probably just pull it up by hand. You mentioned the rode but not the anchor type or weight. You're not dealing with lots of chain and unless your anchor is oversized, it shouldn't be too heavy. There are also options like a lightweight Fortress for example. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with an anchor ball if I didn't need to. In the future you could add a windlass, but I would first look at getting a proper anchor and rode set up and sized to your boat.

I believe is sized appropriately comparing it to other boats with the same type. It is similar to a Rocna type anchor. I think around 25-30 pounds. I do plan on getting appropriately sized rode and chain.

I believe is sized appropriately comparing it to other boats with the same type. It is similar to a Rocna type anchor. I think around 25-30 pounds. I do plan on getting appropriately sized rode and chain.

30 lb sounds about right. With proper rode and not too much chain, you should be able to lift that by hand I would think.

I'd consider 30 lbs a bit too light for a 34 footer of decent windage personally. Even in the best performing modern designs, I'd be looking in the 45 lb range for that boat (and unless that boat is lighter than I'd expect, the Rocna and Mantus charts agree). That said, there are limits to what's practical to haul until you're ready to put in a windlass.

45 lb seems a bit overkill from what I see in the fitment charts. Something in the 30-35 lb range is more normally recommended. But it depends on how much and where you plan to anchor. If you cruise extensively and want something that will work in almost any situation, surely you could/should go bigger. For someone who cuises casually and anchors occasionally and can avoid severe weather and knows what type of conditions to expect, no need to carry an oversized anchor and lots of chain (i.e. weight). I know!!! Better to be safe than sorry, but no need to get too carried away for conditions that you'll never see.

45 lb seems a bit overkill from what I see in the fitment charts. Something in the 30-35 lb range is more normally recommended. But it depends on how much and where you plan to anchor. If you cruise extensively and want something that will work in almost any situation, surely you could/should go bigger. For someone who cuises casually and anchors occasionally and can avoid severe weather and knows what type of conditions to expect, no need to carry an oversized anchor and lots of chain (i.e. weight). I know!!! Better to be safe than sorry, but no need to get too carried away for conditions that you'll never see.

It all depends on who's chart you look at. The chart for a Delta, for example, is hilariously generous. They're likely assuming something like 15 kts of wind in a good bottom. They claim a 22 lb Delta is plenty for a 34 foot boat, which we all know is a bunch of BS (especially considering the not-great performance of the Delta). Other charts are more conservative. Rocna suggests 44 lbs, Mantus suggests 45 (or 55 as a storm anchor). Spade also suggests 44 lbs.

I also have a heavier CQR stored aboard, I'll try the Rocna clone anchor out first in good conditions and work our way up to windier conditions. I haven't seen many good reviews of the CQR though.

...OF course, as was mentioned, you can get your daily workout by muscling the anchor up. I wouldn't want to do that with my 55# Rocna.
Charles, the next time you are anchored, give it a try. You will be surprised how easy it is. I pull my 55# Rocna by hand 90% of the time. It is a bit of a workout once you get all slack in and are directly above the anchor, but really not bad and that part is really quick unless you are anchored in really deep water. We are almost always anchored in 20' or less, so it's not a big task.

Anchor size charts are great until the rip snorting thunderstorms come along.

Permit me to state the obvious .... One does not pull the anchor, one lifts the anchor. Drive up to the anchor, use the windless to retrieve the chain, cleat off the chain using you bridle, drive over the anchor and then back down on the anchor, taking the strain on the bridle and cleats. That just might work. If that doesn't work, dive down to inspect the anchor. See if you can break the anchor loose.
Push come to shove, a big round fender secured to the chain, cut the chain and go get a diver. Or you can let out all the chain. You may need more than one fender. Remember to write down the coordinates.

I think I said that right.

Back
Top Bottom