Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
This is bound to turn into a SE vs NW debate. I prefer a quiet anchorage when I boat, but if I was in the SE, I would prefer a cool boat. I think the Avalon rules seem reasonable.

Stinkpot and raghanger should be used in good fun. Just like Catholics and Protestants, we have more in common, than we have differences. Unfortunately, we seem to dwell upon the differences.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Codger, is that smog?

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Didn’t ask you to come down here.
I think that was me.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I prefer to live far from the madding crowd.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I prefer to live far from the madding crowd.
Thomas Hardy!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Personally I would rather hear the constant noise of a generator that the banging and clanging of loose halyards. I can tune out the constant noises.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I also dislike gensets running in anchorages. Especially with no good reason (and the only good reason I can think of is SE heat/humidity). Your genset is louder than you think - some owners have lost their ability to hear it after too many years. It's like the elderly women who get used to their perfume so they put on more, get used to that, etc.

If it's a noisy anchorage them it will get lost in the background. But in a very quiet anchorage, row away from your boat and listen. Saying it isn't audible except in a very quiet anchorage is not comforting - this is exactly when it is least wanted. I'd also agree the on deck Honda generators are even worse - and 9 of 10 owners I've spoken to will tell me it's so quiet I shouldn't hear it. Why then, to they put it up on the bow as far from the cockpit as they can get it?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Baby sleeps great with the generator running...

I’ll admit ours is fairly loud. But usually we are the only ones around when anchoring. Click image for larger version

Name:	FFDF8A75-0CEA-4B72-B791-493A4729E663.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	87704
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29D0827F-467D-42F7-8CD4-818C0CF65B39.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	87705  
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #29

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
you are either a stinkpotter or a raghanger. There is no in between.
motorsailers!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #30

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Another TF topic that those with the strogest opinions are often those with the least perspective.

Generators are often the least offesive noise in the anchorage.

There are reasons for most every opinion/decision, just not necessarily agreeing with yours.
Screaming drunkards are worse! Playing loud rap crap worse than hell.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #31
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I am of the opinion that anyone who runs a generator in an anchorage deserves that accolade. It is not a problem to set up an adequate battery bank to last for a simple overnight or longer. It is just money after all.

I can tell you live in Maine. No air conditioning needed.

While viable where you live, your opinion doesn't hold water in the tropics.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #32
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You can't hear my generator 100' from my boat on all but a still calm night. If you can hear my generator, you anchored too close to me.

Ted
I Agree !
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
In the day crew members were known to sleep in the engine room of large fish boats w a “scream’in Jimmy”. Everything is relative.
But basically engine noise is constant and shouldn’t interrupt sleep. But if you’re near an engine running when awake it can be annoying.
I don’t usually complain about generators. They are a given. I don’t like them but until there are acceptable alternatives ....

Dougcole wrote;
“While viable where you live, your opinion doesn't hold water in the tropics.”
And what did they do in the 30’s w/o generators?
Reminds me of Joe Linky in the mining camps in Alaska. He said “In the old days we had wooden dredges and iron men. Now we have steel dredges and wooden men.” Joe caught me lying down on a bench on the dredge resting on a break and told me
I’m on company time w pay and should “sit up like a man.” Joe was old school. I was 19.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #34

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
A large boat is going to run a generator, there is no way around it. I usually switch to a smaller unit at night but sometimes even this is not possible.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
In the day crew members were known to sleep in the engine room of large fish boats w a “scream’in Jimmy”. Everything is relative.
But basically engine noise is constant and shouldn’t interrupt sleep. But if you’re near an engine running when awake it can be annoying.
I don’t usually complain about generators. They are a given. I don’t like them but until there are acceptable alternatives ....

Dougcole wrote;
Reminds me of Joe Linky in the mining camps in Alaska. He said “In the old days we had wooden dredges and iron men. Now we have steel dredges and wooden men.” Joe caught me lying down on a bench on the dredge resting on a break and told me
I’m on company time w pay and should “sit up like a man.” Joe was old school. I was 19.
What possible relevance does what people did in the 1930’s have to 2019? Or is this one of those “kids today” answers about how the world went to hell at some point in the distant past, usually around the time the poster reached adulthood?

I guess that once you have damaged your hearing badly enough everything quiets down........
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #36
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quiet at night is a reasonable expectation in an anchorage. Many anchorages here are too small for everyone to fit into and do whatever they want. Loud music, shooting beer bottles over the side, and generators running all night are unreasonable violations of the reasons everyone is out there in the first place. A little courtesy goes a long ways, waking the anchorage as you come in to anchor while everyone else is dining is a good example.

If the only one you are worried about is yourself, that says a lot about you. When I hike, I want to see wild animals, it's part of why I am there. The couple who doesn't want to see any animals and makes a lot of noise scaring everything away on their walk is counter productive to my nature experience. We can't both have what we want, then again I never have understood going out into nature and then scaring it all away...

The commercial fishermen here usually shut things down at night, but once in a while you get the guy who leaves his stadium lights on the mast blasting all night and the generator running. I would just encourage people to try to not be overly sensitive, and to respect the experience others are trying to have out there.

If you are the first one in the anchorage, obviously your rights are different. If you are moving in after someone else is there, please be considerate!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #37

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have not normally been bothered by people running generators at anchor, but I have several times had my night ruined by people running them in Marinas. Twice I have had the boat next to me running a generator all night and their exhaust vented nearly directly down my hatch.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #38
FF
Guru

The large OTR trucks have batt powered air cond , for their sleeper cabs, for a decade.

Problem is its only about 5,000 BTU so it does fine with a small cabin but can not do multiple cabins or the entire vessel.

Noisemakers can be very quiet , usually best if fitted with a lift muffler.

To me the trade off for a big complex boat is a non issue.

I am far to lazy to desire to spend my time repairing nice to have mountains of equipment..

Must have gear , no problem , but my list is very short, probably shorter than the folks on a 35ft rag boat.

Anchor windlass, auto pilot both hyd, propane range , propane reefer, manual toilet HW heater underway and Dickinson diesel range (I don't enjoy the cold.)

Pressure water to the sink and head/shower, cabin fans, reading lights.AM FM car radio & good speakers.

Aluminum Grumman sailing dink with Oars. Off the top of my head that's about it.

Being lazy allows me the time to enjoy boating , my hobby , not onboard marine repair .

At anchor I love the bright boats with varnished hulls , true eye candy .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you can hear my generator, you anchored too close to me.

Ted
I agree Ted!!!!

I am an all electric boat, therefore I run my genny.

I seek out bays with sailboats so that I can give them some pest control.

Now where is "Morning Star" the nemesis of ASD???
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Dougcole wrote;

Yeah, OK.

I'm a multi generation Floridian, my mom didn't live in home with air conditioning until she was 35 years old. My family on my dad's mother's side has been in Florida since before the civil war, my grandmother is the only child ever born on Eggmont Key, she was 45 years old before she went into an air conditioned building. All of my relatives on both sides were quite happy to install AC in their homes as soon as they could afford it.

I lived for 2 years during college in a house in Tallahassee with no AC. I once dug a pair of dress shoes out of the back of my closet that I hadn't worn for 8 months...they were completely covered, inside and out, in an inch of green fur. We picked mushrooms off the walls of our bathroom.

I hate cold, like the heat and like humidity, but AC is one of the things that has advanced the human condition.

Didn't people live in Maine in the 1700s and 1800s with coal for heat? Or wood fireplaces? What about them in the winter? Want to go back to that?

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote