Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
For all the keyboard stability experts that can tell stability from one not so great picture.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Havfram-Wind-NG20000X-Jack-Up-vessel-with-a-3250-tonne-crane-II.jpg
    Havfram-Wind-NG20000X-Jack-Up-vessel-with-a-3250-tonne-crane-II.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
Here's another one that I saw coming in to Seattle from China, then later passed where it was docked. The gantries are now in operation at the Port of Seattle.

Attachments

• PCH_2021-06-14_17-33_1657.jpg
    PCH_2021-06-14_17-33_1657.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 47
Just regular cruise ships look unstable to me these days.

For all the keyboard stability experts that can tell stability from one not so great picture.... :rolleyes:

Looks like the only way to sleep on that thing would be on deck, in a life jacket.. with one eye open!
Would be interesting to know what degree of list or roll was acceptable.. my guess is not much.
Hollywood

No problem

Stabilizers will take care of it.

These heavy lift deck ships have a multitude of large ballast tanks below to give the massive stability and large righting arms (GZ in stability terms) that is needed. In fact most of the under deck spaces are dedicated stability tanks. The trick with these is not to give them too much stability as the roll rate becomes too snappy and the acceleration moments on the very tall structures become greater than they are designed for and they break. (I’ve seen several like that where I was part of the damage investigation).
Looking at the size of the ship I would estimate it’s deadweight carrying capacity to be about 12,000 tons. The load looks to me to be less than 2,000 tons as windmill blades are actually quite light, relatively speaking, and the vertical columns are hollow. The vessel is low in the water which indicates a full load so she is likely carrying up to 10,000 tons of water ballast.
It would likely be a comfortable ride.

These heavy lift deck ships have a multitude of large ballast tanks below to give the massive stability and large righting arms (GZ in stability terms) that is needed. In fact most of the under deck spaces are dedicated stability tanks. The trick with these is not to give them too much stability as the roll rate becomes too snappy and the acceleration moments on the very tall structures become greater than they are designed for and they break. (I’ve seen several like that where I was part of the damage investigation).
Looking at the size of the ship I would estimate it’s deadweight carrying capacity to be about 12,000 tons. The load looks to me to be less than 2,000 tons as windmill blades are actually quite light, relatively speaking, and the vertical columns are hollow. The vessel is low in the water which indicates a full load so she is likely carrying up to 10,000 tons of water ballast.
It would likely be a comfortable ride.

Thanks for the insight...it was a troll post for all those that jump right on some yacht that look top heavy but have no idea how the interior is laid out or actual stab numbers. :popcorn:

Though more than a few lift boats have either been mishandled or some just didn't have "enough" stability for the conditions they got caught in.

My old boss (assistance towing company) wound up with 2 that rolled and he got them for the salvage operation. He did so well with them I think he got more. he wanted me to train on them and operate them...but it was a deployed job. The USCG treated me to enough of those.... :D

Last edited:
The photos are just another clue showing the folly of trying to say anything definitive about stability from a visual assessment.....it doesn't work. You must go through the calculations and you must have solid data to base those calculations on......

The photos are just another clue showing the folly of trying to say anything definitive about stability from a visual assessment.....it doesn't work. You must go through the calculations and you must have solid data to base those calculations on......

Exactly......:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom