Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
Since the Weems & Plath light is advertised in the classifieds at a great price, I thought I might ask for clarification on this. I purchased one for the boat I travel on quite a bit and was under the impression they were legal everywhere. But then...
A friend was stopped and inspected a few days ago here in SW Fla. He was told that his electric flare was not accepted or approved for offshore use??
Did the coastie know what he was talking about or misinformed?
Was it specifically the Weems & Plath SOS Light? There are a number of LED distress signaling devices out there, but the Weems & Plath light is the only electronic "flare" that meets USCG requirements as a replacement for pyrotechnic flares in federal waters.

And although the SOS Light does not yet meet Canadian requirements for Canadian boats, properly registered US boats (either state registered or USCG documented) traveling in Canadian waters are compliant just as in US waters.

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
The local CG Aux. vessel inspector was unaware of this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We ran into something similar with the CG Aux a few years ago regarding our electronic copy(s) of the USCG Rules of the Road. The inspector said we had to have a hard copy. I asked him to please check with the higher ups and I got a nice reply back saying an electronic copy would suffice.
For the record, both of these issues were well-communicated by the CG Aux and all vessel examiners should be well aware of them. If an individual examiner chooses not to be informed, I'd question their commitment to the program. It's a volunteer organization.

To me, the real value in the exam is not the sticker, but the chance to have a second set of eyes on board and a knowledgeable person to bounce ideas off.

If that's not what you got, got to safetyseal.net, type in your zip code and pick another examiner from the list. A lot of people don't know you can call them up and they'll come to you, on your schedule. And if you fail the exam, they'll come back when you're ready. They get credit for both exams, so they really don't mind.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Might be in Stewart area this Sunday plus or minus, so i am retesting....

Will give you a call when things firm up asIi have a long lost USCG buddy living there now.
Standing by Capt

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote