Shipping your boat to Asia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
If you were shipping your boat to Asia from the PNW USA, what port would you choose? My boat is designed for coastal cruising, but not for ocean crossing. I know it can be done in many ways, but my age and being solo crew, questions the feasibility of that solution.
The idea is to ship the boat somewhere, where it could be picked up in a transit zone ( paying no custom/tax ) and go on sailing around for few years, before returning to the US. Or, just stay in Asia somewhere.
The fuel prices today, might justify the shipping cost by saving time and the hassle of crossing the ocean solo on a motorboat.
Any info and advice is appreciated.

I'd start with where you think you want to cruise, then see what's involved with bringing a boat in there. Asia's a big area.

I'd start with where you think you want to cruise, then see what's involved with bringing a boat in there. Asia's a big area.

Good point.
Let me narrow it down.
S. Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, maybe HK.

Looking at regular schedules, they depart Victoria BC or Ensenada and then go to Kaohsiung or Hong Kong. From there they can continue to SE Asia.

Do you know about the procedure at arrival? Can I just pickup the boat and sail away, without paying taxes?

Leo, I don't think that cruising Philippines to Taiwan to Korea to Japan would be considered coastal, although you'll generally have wind and current in your favor. Make sure your vessel is up to it. I assume you'd be shipping your boat from Japan back to America. Are you thinking about Alaska for a return port, or someplace on the mainland?

Yes the boat should be up to it. It was built for Alaska waters.
I have not decided yet, if I will return to the mainland.
If I do, it will probably be by sailing back home. Not by transport.

Watching this thread, it's something I am interested in as well. Mexico is kind of an instead of destination, since the Asian territories are pretty much shut down from Covid. Not that Mexico is bad, but I have been in the Philippines before and loved it!

Do you know about the procedure at arrival? Can I just pickup the boat and sail away, without paying taxes?

You will need to communicate with the shipper and you'll need an agent to handle the arrival in all likelihood. What you can do upon arrival will depend on many variables, including your citizenship, the boat's flag state, taxes that have been paid and taxes which haven't been paid, where you're taking the boat, how long it will be where delivered and elsewhere, and your visa and how long you'll stay.

No, you can't just ship it and sail away free of any paperwork or taxes. You're importing the boat, even if only temporarily. Even before the boat, your access to the country you're shipping it must be cleared. Have you told us what country is your intended destination?

Also, you use the term transit zone, which I think of as a free zone, but those are normally for business purposes, not for private personal purposes.

You're asking very complicated questions, but not disclosing your full intentions or the purposes and still not going to find the answer here. It's going to take someone professional to look at all elements and complexities.

You will need to communicate with the shipper and you'll need an agent to handle the arrival in all likelihood. What you can do upon arrival will depend on many variables, including your citizenship, the boat's flag state, taxes that have been paid and taxes which haven't been paid, where you're taking the boat, how long it will be where delivered and elsewhere, and your visa and how long you'll stay.

No, you can't just ship it and sail away free of any paperwork or taxes. You're importing the boat, even if only temporarily. Even before the boat, your access to the country you're shipping it must be cleared. Have you told us what country is your intended destination?

Also, you use the term transit zone, which I think of as a free zone, but those are normally for business purposes, not for private personal purposes.

You're asking very complicated questions, but not disclosing your full intentions or the purposes and still not going to find the answer here. It's going to take someone professional to look at all elements and complexities.

BandB

Thanks for the info. I think you have answered my question. No free zone, and importing is always required. Thanks.

What I was looking for is real life experience. If anyone has shipped a boat to that region, with what company, how much, process difficulties, etc. ( Yes, I will contact shipping companies and, agents, when time comes. )

I have stated at the beginning that my goal is to travel around in that region for few years. As a retired person, I do not have to be on a schedule. If it takes years, it is ok. I like all those countries I have listed, since I have been in all of them already in the past. Not by boat, though. Sailing back, or shipping it back, to the USA will depend on my health and money. Maybe I will have to sell the boat.

US flag and citizen.

Leo, I’m not familiar with your vessel, but do you think you could make the westward run across the Pacific? What is it that is lacking in your vessel, which perhaps could be upgraded?

Leo, I’m not familiar with your vessel, but do you think you could make the westward run across the Pacific? What is it that is lacking in your vessel, which perhaps could be upgraded?

Yes, I think the boat is capable. I run a single CAT with low consumption. I can store 1600 gallons ( with bladders maybe over 2K gallons ) of diesel.
My problem is being single handed. A crew is not really feasible as I have limited berth space. No lady or kids on board, so it has to be sailed solo.

I know many fishermen crossed over the Bering Sea. I know about the three large Nordhavns GSSR story. So, it can be done and the largest crossing is about 500 miles. But not solo.

I know many fishermen crossed over the Bering Sea. I know about the three large Nordhavns GSSR story. So, it can be done and the largest crossing is about 500 miles. But not solo.

Is that going out the chain and via Attu? Man, I'd love to get back out to there, I've been as far as Buldir Island.

BandB

Thanks for the info. I think you have answered my question. No free zone, and importing is always required. Thanks.

What I was looking for is real life experience. If anyone has shipped a boat to that region, with what company, how much, process difficulties, etc. ( Yes, I will contact shipping companies and, agents, when time comes. )

I have stated at the beginning that my goal is to travel around in that region for few years. As a retired person, I do not have to be on a schedule. If it takes years, it is ok. I like all those countries I have listed, since I have been in all of them already in the past. Not by boat, though. Sailing back, or shipping it back, to the USA will depend on my health and money. Maybe I will have to sell the boat.

US flag and citizen.

The time has come. Seven Star has the routes available on their site, so speak to them and let them give you some guidance and point you in the right direction for information. Get information from those in the business. Getting information from those who have done it can be both helpful and very dangerous. What someone encountered a few years ago may not be valid today. Laws change, taxes change, and political climates change. They should be able to tell you the easiest countries vs. the hardest ones. I've communicated with them many times with questions and then shipped last year with one of their subsidiaries.

The taxes won't be what causes you to sell, but shipping costs may. It may be that a better strategy is to purchase a boat there just for your time boating in Asia.

Importing and no free zone isn't as frightening as it sounds. You may still get a moderate tax or a cruising permit good for x period of time. That will vary with each country. For instance, the last I knew, but it may have changed, there was no import duty on a boat in Singapore and it was fairly simple to clear customs, pay basic fees, state plans, and use it. Then cruising to each other country, you'd have different compliance.

A simple comparison. There is no problem cruising from the US to the Bahamas, but must clear customs and must pay fees for both the boat and persons. Bahamas cruising fees are now $150 to $2000 depending on boat size and whether three months or a year. In addition, you have to clear customs with the boat and immigration with people. Then a $20 departure tax for each person beyond three. Still entry to the Bahamas is sometimes easier than entry back to the US.

Basic rules wherever you go are that property must clear customs and people must clear immigration. There are costs with both and limits of time with both.

Looks like a fabulous route. I wish I could explore on some more of the Aleutians, I've actually had my feet on the ground on Amchitka, Adak, Great Sitkin, of course Dutch Harbor, King Cove. Anchored off some other islands.

Was it work related, or pleasure boating, when you were there?

BandB

Could you share the basic figures you were paying for your shipment? Was it a boat?

Was it work related, or pleasure boating, when you were there?

Some was crab fishing, but the islands I got to explore I was a deck hand/ skiff man on a 120 foot landing craft that was on a scientific charter.

Sometime I'll have to transfer my old pics to my computer.

BandB

Could you share the basic figures you were paying for your shipment? Was it a boat?

We shipped by DYT/Dockwise and it was more expensive, plus a larger boat (119'). I would expect your boat to run $40-60k, but just pick one of Seven Star's routes and they're always willing to provide you a quote. They know a lot of people like to budget and plan ahead. They have regular runs from the West Coast to Asia, about every month to North Asia and every two months further south to Singapore. Get a Quote button on their home page.

In regards to a given country's checkin/out procedures,requirements, links, etc., Noonsite is a good resource, https://www.noonsite.com/countries/.

Trawler Forum does not have as many members traveling to other countries as the Cruising Forum(CF). Lots of discussions on CF about regulations getting into other countries, including length of stay for the person and the boat.

To start with, these two discussion areas you might find interesting.

1. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/ - Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
  2. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f160/ - Asia
Later,
Dan

In regards to a given country's checkin/out procedures,requirements, links, etc., Noonsite is a good resource, https://www.noonsite.com/countries/.

Trawler Forum does not have as many members traveling to other countries as the Cruising Forum(CF). Lots of discussions on CF about regulations getting into other countries, including length of stay for the person and the boat.

To start with, these two discussion areas you might find interesting.

1. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/ - Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
  2. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f160/ - Asia
Later,
Dan

Very true and good links. CF doesn't have many shipping their boats though.

I would think dockwise would be pretty empty running from NA to Asia, but full coming in the other direction. So maybe rates would be more favorable. I just don't think I've ever heard of a boat shipping in that direction, but lots shipping out of Asia.

Another option would be to ship to OZ then sail from there. I think that's a more common route.

I would think dockwise would be pretty empty running from NA to Asia, but full coming in the other direction. So maybe rates would be more favorable. I just don't think I've ever heard of a boat shipping in that direction, but lots shipping out of Asia.

Another option would be to ship to OZ then sail from there. I think that's a more common route.

The builders don't use Seven Star and Dockwise as much as privately contracted freight carriers. Those are occasionally available to recreational boaters but not easy to find. They come through brokers who may of may not be trustworthy. There is a reasonable amount of shipping to Australia and the area.

Subject to the legal and financial issues raised in prior posts, I would be looking at Singapore.
I spent time there on a cruising sailboat, including leaving the boat there for several months.
There are excellent facilities for maintenance. The people are friendly. English is widely spoken and the legal system is based on common-law. The food....
The cruising opportunities from there are sensational.
Maybe stop short of Burma.

And, of course, it is a major transhipment port. Lots of traffic.

The taxes won't be what causes you to sell, but shipping costs may. It may be that a better strategy is to purchase a boat there just for your time boating in Asia.

This

Over the years have spied a nice selection of boats for cheap prices.
End of the line for many
Few buyers

OP, I was quoted in the $80-$90k range to ship 20m boats from Singapore and Southern China to Panama. That was just before Covid and now shipping rates have skyrocketed. You are going the opposite direction which I would assume is more expensive.

Definitely curious what quotes you receive.

Still wondering however, since you are retired, why you don't rip out your big single bed, install 2-3 single berths, bring along some volunteers and cruise your boat westward. Would be the adventure of a lifetime and you likely have San Fran to Hawaii range. Once you're in SE Asia have your stateroom restored, easily and cheaply enough.

Back
Top Bottom