Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
This thread is interesting. I would like to have fewer turns lock to lock. My steering is great most of the time, but for close maneuvering it would be nice to be able to turn rubber with fewer turns of the wheel.

I need to check, but I think my AP has its own arm and is not connected to the steering hydraulics (I know nothing about my steering system). If I could move the arm on my steering piston to get more response, I would be interested.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #22

City: Lutz
I just went thru the catalogs that came with the boat. Found that the Ram cylinder was replaced with a Sea Star HC-314-3 2 years ago. The install catalog says a 6inch pin to rudder post is required. It has a 7 inch travel and a 10.2 Cubic inch capacity. Im not sure but distance looks longer than 6 in. I will measure it Thursday when I go to the boaty!. The helm pumps are Sea Star 7.1 models.

geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #23
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
The tiller arm is loaded athwartships, not up and down, unless the cylinder is badly aligned. Shortening a central rib to the new hole location will not make it weaker than it was (unless you decide to move it back to the old location).
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Hi Dave do you remember what size drill you used as I will try this on Friday its been driving me mad Thanks in advance

Measure the diameter of the clevis pin and use a drill bit a hair larger?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Measure the diameter of the clevis pin and use a drill bit a hair larger?

Thanks

Boat is 60km away was just planning what to take with me to do the refit
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Thanks

Boat is 60km away was just planning what to take with me to do the refit

Take lots of drill bits.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
ok
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Take some cutting lubricant. Nothing shortens the life of a drill bit like getting overheated. A little lubricant goes a long way to keeping the bit sharp and getting our hole drilled quickly.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Remember if the rudder pivots more than 35deg or 40 deg is is a brake , not a rudder.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Our boat was designed by 2 ex sailors so likely the reason for the large rudder and 3 turns stop to stop. I like it a lot!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #31
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Low fluid or air in the system ?
I just spent some time working on my friends 34' Marine Trader. He blew a line off on a trip and we repaired, but as we returned home turns went from 4 turns to 10. Needless to say we were all over the place. Diagnosis later proved we had not bled it well and air eventually made it's way down the line. A very careful bleeding in both directions, and fluid monitoring at the top helm, then the lower got it all back into spec. 4 turns lock to lock, and all is well...
Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Remember if the rudder pivots more than 35deg or 40 deg is is a brake , not a rudder.
It’s always a brake. How far it’s deflected depends on how much of a brake it is. 90 degrees and it’s 100% brake. But wrose than that because it’s in the propwash.

However my rudder deflects about as far as any here on TF. But w/o any trick devices from rudder TE mods to thrusters my boat probably turns quicker than any other here. The raked bow and canoe stern along w a fairly short overall WLL helps.

But to criticize my rudder deflection using a SD or planing boat standard is just an indication you’ve not done it. My boat slows down when full deflection is employed but even w the gear in neutral the boat coasts along quite far turning very well. Probably better than most or almost any here.

If you’re really concerned how much braking a rudder does you’d install two rudders on your boat .. one on each side of the propwash. The rudder in the center of the propwash causes considerable drag. The poropwsh is trying to push the rudder backwards kinda like the fusalage, wing roots and verticle stablizer of an aircraft (all in the propwash) w the prop out front tractor style. But it’s a good trade for what you get. Most propeller driven aircraft are configurated this way.

And the only time my rudder produces more drag from more than normal deflection is when it’s deflected more than normal. And then I’m getting the benefit of awsome turning.

But to have an advantage in turning ability you need a big rudder and almost no boats here have such a rudder. Because we’re about 90% SD here I probably should never have mentioned using more than 35 degrees rudder deflection. I hope nobodies tried it w a small rudder. If you tried that FF you’d get worse than a bit of a brake. You’d create a lot of post rudder turbulence and a largely ineffective rudder. Stalled basically.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Our boat was designed by 2 ex sailors so likely the reason for the large rudder and 3 turns stop to stop. I like it a lot!
Allan and Ann,
I think the Willard was designed by a NA that usually designed sailboats. There are numerous features of the Willard that seem to come from sailboats. I didnít know sailboats had quick steering.

My Willard has two attachment holes on the rudder horn. So it appears it was intended as an option. I opted it and the result was much better turning. I havenít checked other Willards to see if the rudder horn was/is standard equipment or not OEM.

But I have a hard time imagining how one deals w 6í quartering stern seas w a slow steering like 6 turns. I really like my excellent quick and effective rudder response. And of course in the marina good rudder response is good too. Before my two trawlers my boats were outboards so I wasspoiled early on.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #34
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Low fluid or air in the system ?
Solved the same issue with a top off on fluid.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #35
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Oh yes- Suicide knobs! Not so good on my boat as both wheels are vertical but Im going to include them in the 'mix'.

Something like that on a vertical wheel could catch your pants leg and flip you over.....LOL

I never counted the turns on my MS-34, but its a lot. But I dock in very close quarters and have to make a "back and fill" turn in a cul-de-sac to get to my slip port side to. But I have just learned to do it. Much better than modifying the boat and then regretting one of the unanticipated consequences.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: South Florida
Sea Star Selection Guide. Has # turns for some inboard systems on page 5-3, others systems elsewhere in the guide

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c.../SL6001-24.pdf
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
Guru

I wish RM made a jog lever for their auto pilot. That would be a perfect solution for me. Unfortunately, they don't and I'm not bright enough to kludge something together.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #38

City: Lutz
Im going to go ahead and move the tillers pin location in 2 inches. This will not change the lock to lock requirement as it will increase the rudder total angle but it will move the rudder 30% faster when the steering wheel turns. (6.5 divided by 2=.3) I don't know what effect it will have on the auto -pilot. Stay tuned --but I wont be able to test it for 3-5 weeks as Im doing other work.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #39
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I wish RM made a jog lever for their auto pilot. That would be a perfect solution for me. Unfortunately, they don't and I'm not bright enough to kludge something together.
You mean like this?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
You mean like this?

Yes, but I donít think they have anything currently that will work with my older AP. It would be great if that would work with my old autopilot though.

Dave
SPOT page