River Forest storage Labelle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virginias Run

Veteran Member
We are hauling our boat out and storing at River Forest and looking for advice. Things we are considering are:

1. Air flow - port holes/hatches open or closed
2. Humidity- what to use (hanging bags, cat litter etc.
3. Pest control
4. Any other considerations I should keep in mind as a northerner hauling in Fl for the hurricane season.

Anyone who has had experience here that would be interested in sharing, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, not sure the kind of cat litter you pus-n-boots likes would be of much help here. (Grin).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I store my boat for about 6 months that straddles hurricane season. I leave it closed up. No mildew problem that a quick wipe with bleach solution wouldn't solve. No critters get in as best I could tell. Would be tough for one to climb up the jack stands.

Unless you will return every month or so and renew the desiccant they will fill up with water and not do any good afterwards. Best is an electric dehumidifier but most places don't allow power hookups.

Good luck.

David

Are you storing indoors or outdoors?

BD

I store my boat for about 6 months that straddles hurricane season. I leave it closed up. No mildew problem that a quick wipe with bleach solution wouldn't solve. No critters get in as best I could tell. Would be tough for one to climb up the jack stands.

Unless you will return every month or so and renew the desiccant they will fill up with water and not do any good afterwards. Best is an electric dehumidifier but most places don't allow power hookups.

Good luck.

David

Not sure how mice get into boats blocked up on stands but they do here in the winter. A friend left some sealed containers of food onboard and mice got up into his boat and chewed the containers open to get to the food. They also chewed up the bars of soap he left on the boat. We remove everything that mice would possibly be attracted to and have never had any problems. I still wonder how they could climb into the boat...

IF you are storing indoors its expensive , but there are few hassles.

If outdoors going an extra 3 miles to Glades Boatyard might be half the cost.

If afloat an extra 1/2 mile might find a Turkey Creek house to store it behind , at even lower cost.

We are hauling our boat out and storing at River Forest and looking for advice.
As has been asked, indoors or out? That will make a big difference.
OLOH was stored in one of their indoor, climate controlled buildings for nine months(!). The boat was closed and no humidity control was used or needed. Other than a small amount of dead flies, she was as we left her when we returned. It is essentially suspended animation under those conditions.

It is a wonderful facility. As this is what they do, they will be able to guide you through the specific preparations you should make for the type of storage you are using.

Back
Top Bottom