Removed Elec Stove--Install outlet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porchhound

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 CHB 34

The old Kenyon 120v/pressurized alcohol stove is history but now I have a dedicated circuit available in my galley. Anything wrong with wiring up a GFI outlet? The stove had two 1100 watt elements (18amps) so it's probably a 20amp breaker protected circuit. It's one of those toggle type switches and I can't read the number of amps and I don't have a wiring schematic.

As long as the wiring and breaker are properly sized for the outlet I see no problem. The stove may have a breaker larger than 20 amps so you may have to change the breaker. 12 gauge wire is good for 20 amps so as long as the wire is at least 12 gauge then it will be ok.

The wires I disconnected look smaller than 12ga to me but I didn’t actually check. They were factory installed so I’m sure they met code for the 20amp stove elements. Good point to check, thanks!

What was the stove rated for? 20 or 30 amps.

I did just that but didn't think about changing the breaker. 20 amp breaker and I think 10ga wire. I'll change it to a 15a. Easy to do on my boat, it came from the factory with a household type breaker box and the breakers are around $5 at Menards etc. Never seen that on a boat before. 1973 Concorde 41.

I did just that but didn't think about changing the breaker. 20 amp breaker and I think 10ga wire. I'll change it to a 15a. Easy to do on my boat, it came from the factory with a household type breaker box and the breakers are around $5 at Menards etc. Never seen that on a boat before. 1973 Concorde 41.

One thing to look at is what is the outlet rated for, 15 or 20 amps. If it is a 20 amp out with 10 gauge wire then you are fine. But if the outlet is a 15 amp outlet then you want a 15 amp breaker even with 10 gauge wire.

Regular household gfi outlet, pretty sure it's 15 amp. So I'll change the breaker, I have a couple spares onboard.

That would be an easy fix and safer too. We had a Trojan that used household panel and breakers, Square D. It was nice to be able to go to a big box to pick up a breaker.

With two 1100 watt coils it has to be at least 20 amp to carry the load. The newer Kenyans have two 1200 watt burners and they are rated for 20amps.

I’m almost certain the wires I disconnected from the stove were 12ga thwn. The conduit for each wire was hard, so I’m assuming it was plastic beings the wires ran under the galley sink. I’ll check that too when I get back there. I’ll stick with the breaker the stove used I guess.

Seems the perfect time to put in a microwave, if you don't already have one.

I’m almost certain the wires I disconnected from the stove were 12ga thwn. The conduit for each wire was hard, so I’m assuming it was plastic beings the wires ran under the galley sink. I’ll check that too when I get back there. I’ll stick with the breaker the stove used I guess.

12 gauge is fine for 20 amps but the outlet may only be rated for 15 amps.

Back
Top Bottom