Red light by my helm? 1984 42 with twin Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started my engines recently and see this red light by the helm throttle control. I have 1984 42 with twin Lehman . Please see attached photo.

Attachments

• 10ADFC02-E2FD-478A-BED1-37CD356FE858.jpg
    10ADFC02-E2FD-478A-BED1-37CD356FE858.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 66
Welcome aboard. We need more information. Does it come on with one engine starting, or both? Is the oil pressure normal? Ant alarms sounding? Can you trace the wires to see what they are attached to?

Maybe just a light to show ignition is powered.

Got to do things to make the light go out start from there also as Comodave said to follow the wires see what circut its in.

Iif no indication of voltage anywhere, check voltage, the red lights often indicated if ignition on but no alternator output.

If you have a Glendinning engine synchronizer, it's probably the "power on" indicator.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They are very helpful. I prob did post this in the wrong section. This is the first forum I have ever joined so I apologize about that. I was patting myself on the back getting that photo attached. I will try to get you an update as I find out more what's going on. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I think he meant the “red light district”
You’re in the right part of the forum!

A red light near the shifter/throttle controls often indicates that a trolling valve is actuated.

42 foot what? Grand Banks? Is something new? New to you boat? Is there only one?

I started my engines recently and see this red light by the helm throttle control. I have 1984 42 with twin Lehman . Please see attached photo.

On My 1982 GB 42, that would be the warning light for the starboard engine. There should also be an alarm buzzer that goes off. It is hooked up to oil pressure and coolant temperature alarms on the engine and should trigger when the ignition is on and the engine isn't running (oil pressure).

It is common for failures in the wiring (either ground or signal) to cause this, but it could also be an actual serious problem.

See the attached annotated wiring diagram.

Attachments

• Annotated 39 - DC Schematic for Twin Engine original_a75ea293-7223-40a3-82b2-8c5a3b75ac76_IMG_20.jpg
    Annotated 39 - DC Schematic for Twin Engine original_a75ea293-7223-40a3-82b2-8c5a3b75ac76_IMG_20.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 22
Red light

In reality you will have to run down the wires to see what it is for.

On our boat, on the lower helm, but well marked, I have a Glendinning light for our synchronizer and I also have a blue light that is wired to the ELCI to tell us if the boat is on battery use, yes, while tied to a dock.

We had numerous instances where the dock power went out and we didn't realize it due to our inverter and large battery bank. The change from dock to battery is instantaneous, so we find out when we go to cook a meal thinking we have dock power.

Good luck & have fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom