PT-38 Trawler (John Norek)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig_b

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Alpha One
Vessel Make
Chung HWA
I am looking to purchase a trawler very soon.
Have a line on a 1980 PT-38 but do not know anything about these boats.
It is in my price range of 30,000 US and looks to be in decent shape.
It has a Lehman diesel engine with 9000 hours.
I have heard they are good engines but am concerned about the amount of hours on it.

Any and I mean any information you folks can pass on to me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hmmm, PT-38. In the pictures, nice lay out for a 2 stateroom boat. Question, stall shower? I gotta have a separate shower.... I would hate to clean the entire head area after a shower.
Here's one https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/pt-38-aft-cabin-3614089/ 2000 hrs on each engine.
The exit to the cockpit.... guess one has to move the cushion and crawl out the door?
Get a certified Lehman mechanic out to survey the engine.
In short order, you will begin to feel cramped with guests aboard.
Generator??? A/C??? Perfect boat for a single-handling or a couple. That second S/R will become your storage area. LOL
First thing to install is a water-maker, even if you never use it. Finding fuel.... should be no problem but finding good water can be a problem.
Consider a fuel polishing system just in case.
Twin Racor fuel filters.
TV
Set for life or until you want 5 more feet. SMILE
A good weekend or 2-3 week cruising boat for a couple
Soon you will discover you want a washer/dryer, so you don't have to stall your cruise while washing clothes either ashore or by hand.
Over all, the PT-80 in the listing I looked at was a great looking boat once you understand and accept its limitations.
Like you, I have never heard of a PT boat but there are plenty out there.
Good luck!!!

We have owned "RochePoint" a 1985 PT 38 Sedan for over 26 years. She has been a great boat during that time with her 6.3544M Perkins engine. The one you are interested in is it a Sedan or Tri-cabin model? Our club has 3 PT's in it, a 38 Tri, 41' Tri & our 38' Sedan, would love to see some photos or a link to the one you are looking at. PM me if you have any questions.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

We have owned "RochePoint" a 1985 PT 38 Sedan for over 26 years. She has been a great boat during that time with her 6.3544M Perkins engine. The one you are interested in is it a Sedan or Tri-cabin model? Our club has 3 PT's in it, a 38 Tri, 41' Tri & our 38' Sedan, would love to see some photos or a link to the one you are looking at. PM me if you have any questions.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks!

PM sent

I had a 1983 pt41. Well built boat, I would say overall it was above an Albin but below a Grand Banks.

The 9000 hours on the engine would concern me.

We are the new owners of PT 38 trawler. :D

Attachments

• 20201112_082327.jpg
    20201112_082327.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat. Now the fun starts.

Well played, and welcome aboard.

The Lehman, if maintained, shouldn’t be an issue even with the hours. Call Brian at American Diesel, he is excellent on Lehmans. He is the guru. Maybe ask him what you should do to get started with it. He may have some recommendations to get the engine to a baseline for maintenance. 804-435-3107

Back
Top Bottom