Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #21

I owned a Defever and loved everything about it (51’). Only thing that I didnt like was the mild steel fuel tanks. These things are just a ticking time bomb before they start leaking. I sold the defever and bought a 1991 66’ Cheoy Lee LRC. 3000 gallons of fuel and all tanks are Fiberglass����
Super well built boat!! If your looking at 66’, be sure to check the Cheoy Lee��

Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Thanks Taras. I do like Cheoy Lee LRCs. However, they seem to be an elusive brand with very few available. There was one here in the PNW that needed a major refit and recently (sadly) ran aground.

I have nothing but time to find the "next" boat so the next one will happen when it happens.

Airstream345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
Here is the boat I was referring to in BC.
Length:68'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel
Located In:
Vancouver, BC
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
27424-3031358

Current Price:
Can$ 450,000 Tax Paid (US$ 344,925)
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #24
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I don't know anything about the boat,but would be willing to go preview it for you. Wouldn't be the first Defever I previewed for a forum member... I don't work for free, it would cost you lunch!
I will strongly endorse Jack (Steve?)ís knowledge of boats. He was kind enough to check out a Defever in Florida for us while we were in Italy and itís the boat we have today. It was such a help having knowledgeable, experienced eyes on a prospect we were interested in. And donít let his ďfeeĒ scare you off; he eats like a bird.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Only thing that I didnt like was the mild steel fuel tanks. These things are just a ticking time bomb before they start leaking.
Doesnít this depend on how theyíre maintained and whether they were installed so that water canít remain in contact with the steel? From what I read, there are thousands in service that were installed four decades ago and longer.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post
Here is the boat I was referring to in BC.
Length:68'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel
Located In:
Vancouver, BC
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
27424-3031358

Current Price:
Can$ 450,000 Tax Paid (US$ 344,925)
Thanks Mike. I've seen this one on and off of YW for a while now. Vancouver is a day trip for me so maybe I can talk my wife into a combo trip.

Trying to figure out the tankage. Assuming it can't actually be 750 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water -listed as 2 (750) diesel and 5 (100) water.

Still, 1500 gallons of diesel in a 68' boat seems light. I wonder of some tanks may have been decommissioned?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
That does seem light on fuel. Ours holds 4,500 in 5 main and 2 day tanks, and 800 water in two 400 gal tanks.
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Doesn’t this depend on how they’re maintained and whether they were installed so that water can’t remain in contact with the steel? From what I read, there are thousands in service that were installed four decades ago and longer.
Angus you are correct. Art insisted on builders following plans to minimize corrosion. First, tanks installed so any external water could not be trapped between tank and hull. Second, do not engineer in deck leaks. Third, construct tanks to have minimal flat bottom spaces thus allowing tanks to be drained completely.

An owner can do a lot of self analysis to minimize steel corrosion starting with external inspection, buy the safest fuels, turn the fuel over and keep the tanks topped up during the winter season.

But yes, everything about a boat is a ticking time bomb. A 3 plus decade old boat in its entirety is a risk on a variety of fronts. Especially if lightly used (low hours per year) and a multitude of dock sitting owners.

On a side note, the vessel in question has wonderful engines. The Cat 3306 and it’s cousin the 3406 are near the top of the list for best diesels ever made. These engines have been the back bone for dirt movers, generators and over the road haulers for a very long time.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I don’t know the boat. First it’s more than 30 years old so financing is an issue. This knocks out 80% of the potential buyers. Above 60’ puts you in a whole different world of reacurring expenses, the slip fees, insurance, taxes, etc are very close to what a loan Payment would be. We haven’t even gotten into maintenance and operating cost. By the time you find some one who can handle all these expenses you have found some one who can probably afford a much newer boat that is financable. Starts to get very hard to sell a 1980’s big boat. This boat is looking for a very rare buyer. What is probably hurting the sale of this boat is the lack of a Queen sized guest room. So we need a buyer who has 3 teenagers, lots of money but is cheap so he won’t buy a newer boat, but not so cheap that he won’t buy a boat and wants to cruise to faraway places.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #30
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
. I don’t know the boat. First it’s more than 30 years old so financing is an issue. This knocks out 80% of the potential buyers. Above 60’ puts you in a whole different world of reacurring expenses, the slip fees, insurance, taxes, etc are very close to what a loan Payment would be. We haven’t even gotten into maintenance and operating cost. By the time you find some one who can handle all these expenses you have found some one who can probably afford a much newer boat that is financable. Starts to get very hard to sell a 1980’s big boat. This boat is looking for a very rare buyer. What is probably hurting the sale of this boat is the lack of a Queen sized guest room. .
So many assumptions, here's some more.
Maybe it'll be bought for cash.
Maybe the boat will actually get used, no slip fees needed
Maybe it'll get cruised in lands where labour costs make it more like a 30 fter to maintain.
Maybe the owner thinks if guests don't like the bed they get they can stay on that other "free" boat. (We don't have a queen size guest cabin, no complaints from guests yet)

Quote:
So we need a buyer who has 3 teenagers, .
No you don't.
I'd happily buy a boat that size for just the two of us.
Quote:
lots of money but is cheap so he won’t buy a newer boat, but not so cheap that he won’t buy a boat and wants to cruise to faraway places
I'd prefer frugal.
Its because of our frugality that we could semi retire 30 and fully 20 years before most instead of remaining chained to a desk paying for new boats , marina fees, designer clothes and the latest "look at me" thing.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Its because of our frugality that we could semi retire 30 and fully 20 years before most instead of remaining chained to a desk paying for new boats , marina fees, designer clothes and the latest "look at me" thing.[/QUOTE]

I think you just made the case that you are not the average buyer. Iím not in disagreement with your logic and I think itís probably a very outstanding boat. The replacement value is in the millions. If I was looking for a boat to cruise to Mexico and beyond, living on the hook, Iíd be interested. Facts are most buyers want to keep their boat moored close to home.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
If I was looking for a boat to cruise to Mexico and beyond, living on the hook, Iíd be interested. Facts are most buyers want to keep their boat moored close to home.

Very true. While I could very easily give up a dirtside home and move on a boat, my wife could not. Even if she could, neither one of us want to be be far away from our kids and grandson. For us, there isnít any boating paradise that can equal the joy we get from spending lots of time with family.

IF I was to move on a boat and go cruising full time, this seems like a great boat. Who cares about resale value? A boat is a depreciating item. Iíd happily move on board and figure that when Iím done I might as well give it away.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Bet the OP is sorry he asked. It would seem Simi is the responder with the gist of the subject well understood.

That said, the OP could get most of his questions answered by seeing the boat. The truth will then out.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
Guru

Pondering a DeFever 66

I don't regret asking at all. A lot of the discussion here reflects the very same machinations I work through in my caveman sailor brain.

The short version for me is this:

For between $350K and $400K you could buy a smaller Nordhavn (40, 46) or possibly a KK48, or you could buy a 66' DeFever or 66' Cheoy Lee that is good at being a live aboard (large with 4 staterooms, walk in engine room) good for costal cruising (comfortable), good for entertaining (large outside spaces) and also capable of crossing oceans.

Yes, it's more LOA to maintain but if it's my house that part doesn't scare me. Iím pretty hands on (DIY) as well.

To get into a similarly sized, but still pre-owned boat you're looking at $1.2M - $1.5M.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #35

City: East Greenwich
That thing is awesome! It strikes me as an amazing amount of boat for the money. I am admittedly way out of my league when it comes to boats (lets call it what it is, a yacht) of this nature so two questions for those that are;

Twin 335 HP motors - is that really enough power to move her in a good sea/strong headwind?

If you ever wanted to replace the engines - does that mean cutting a hole in the side of her for removal / insertion?

I was really impressed with the interior, pictures can be a boats best friend but it looked beautiful.

350k for that? I definitely get the temptation.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
Joining DeFever Cruisers Assoc would connect you to other owners of the same model. They also have an inventory which may tell you about this boat's past (or you can buy a title search from NOAA's boat registry for about $25). DCA has boats listed for sale, often before they hit YW and hosts rendezvous so you can step aboard various models and talk to the owners.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #37
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0
Lapis Lazuli

Just watched the video, its great!

I think 3 or 4 of us should get together and buy her!
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #38
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanair View Post

Twin 335 HP motors - is that really enough power to move her in a good sea/strong headwind?
I would suggest far more than necessary
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #39

City: Lake Suzy Fl
It was my understanding the the yacth had some damage from Irma/Maria.
I think it was on YW that I had read that. I have lusted for that boat for 2-3 yrs it's been for sale. Several different brokers have carried her contract. Would have bought along time ago, however needed my money elsewhere. Beautiful boat, hope the next owner has a good buy.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
Guru

Pondering a DeFever 66

Yes, the latest YW listing discloses damage to the upper bridge (canvas, Bimini) from Irma.

The video is older too so current condition may not match the video.

Despite a lot of dreaming and drooling itís too soon for me to seriously consider it. But if itís still for sale in another year or two, who knows!?