Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

City: Port Charlotte
PNW Trawler School Help

Greetings from Texas. DW and I have 25 years of sailing experience but not any experience with power boats other than smaller lake boats. One of our bucket list goals is to attend a PNW Trawler/Power School in preparation for chartering in the Seattle area. As most folks know, Charter Companies are going to "check us out" before allowing us to charter. We'd probably not pass. LOL. Therefore ... Trawler/Power School.

We'd be grateful for any recommendations that can help us with this bucket list goal. And thanks in advance.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome.

When you say 25 years of sailing experience, what size sailboats do you have experience in? I transitioned from sail to power and it was a relatively easy transition. However, I had lots of experience in larger sailboats.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Welcome.
When you say 25 years of sailing experience, what size sailboats do you have experience in?

The largest boat we've sailed (just the two of us) was 29' on Lake Superior. I crewed on several larger boats to include a 36'.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Who/what is DW?
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

City: San Diego
Sea School was great for passing my Captain License. But you're asking for school that teaches trawler skills. The school of life experience is the only one I know of. If you and partner are USCG licensed already, your best bet is to start doing charters in TX. Between the 365 days at sea requirement for Captain's license and a year or two of charters on your own, you're likely to qualify to crew on charters in the NW. Or just move there now and work on commercial boats for a year or so. A charter company will always hire someone with life experience over paper from school. From my life experience, move there now and start building life experience in the market you're targeting is your best bet. It's a big commitment, but that's what it's going to take. Hope this helps you live your dream.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I suggest you search bare boat charters in Anacortes and contact the companies offering that. They will tell you what qualifications you need. As I understand some will provide the training required if any.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

City: San Diego
Good suggestion. The search I made turned up 2-3 day classes on boat handling with some emphasis on trawlers. Hardly something to "qualify" you to start running charters compared to job experience. Are you two planning to buy your own boat or just work for a company that owns a few boats?
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I think the OP is looking to charter as a customer not run charter boats
Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #9

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Traxless;

I am also from Texas and took the 3 day twin engine power boating course from Anacortes Yacht Charters a couple of years ago. It was thorough, well organized and had plenty of hands on time.

Anacortes Yacht Charters
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
In Bellingham, both NW Explorations and San Juan Sailing offer training that would enable you to charter their boats.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
For trawler training, I could argue to find a captain that does training. Deal with one person, one on one. I've done that and it works very well.

And, when you get the boat you want, get a captain experience in that or very similar boats. Part of boating is learning all the systems, maintenance, performance, limits, safety, etc.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
I am a lifelong sailor with a sailboat in SF Bay area. I first chartered a trawler (NT37) a few years back from San Juan Sailing in Bellingham (and am doing the same this summer). Before my first trawler charter I had never driven a powerboat before, but after a one-hour free lesson that came with the charter I was fine--we made it up to Princess Louisa Inlet and back without incident. IMO, moving from a sailing boat to a trawler is, in itself, not a big deal (especially if you have a bow thruster!). More important, in the PNW, is your experience with strong currents, big tides, big wind, busy shipping lanes, and tricky navigation challenges. The SF Bay presents all these challenges, which prepared me well for the PNW. I think a lot would depend on your experience with these conditions, rather than your lack of experience on a power boat.
Two Truths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Who/what is DW?
Dear Wife? Danged woman? Deranged wolf? I dunno, the possibilities are endless.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
The largest boat we've sailed (just the two of us) was 29' on Lake Superior. I crewed on several larger boats to include a 36'.

I think if you were able to handle a 29' sailboat and were comfortable with it, you will be able to make the transition to power pretty well. A course as others have mentioned would be very helpful but really it is a matter of getting used to the differences in rudder effectiveness, power/weight ratio, and the amount of windage. Then it is just a matter of a lot of practice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #15

I’d like to thank TF for the above guidance. You’ve given us a solid direction. We'll take a little time to follow-up on some of the guidance and post back our plans. Tiz exciting!!

Footnote: DW = Dear Wife or Devote Wife, commonly used on RV Forums.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Northwest Explorations gets my vote for the PNW, you will be dealing with the same captain. Give them a call. What have you done in learning navigation skills and the Navigation Rules?

Anyway give them a call and openly discuss your needs.

My "DW" and a friend took an excellent course at Sea Sense in SW Florida when we were living in Dallas and chartering boats in SW . They specialize in teaching women and couples. Also worth a call.

We actually belonged to the Fort Worth Yacht Club on Eagle Lake for awhile; still have the Longhorn burgee somewhere. Very nice facility.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote