Picture Hanging Challenges (aka first word problem...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
Picture Hanging Challenges (aka first world problem...)

So we have some art (not heavy...frameless) we are trying to hang in the master. The walls are a beautiful wood and I am loathe to put holes in them. So I have been using Velcro-like products that I thought were the right application, i.e. for heavy duty and picture hanging applications. Still does not work. Any particular Velcro-like product that has been used successfully out there?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In my RV, I hang one fairly heavy thing on monofilament fishing line and put a strip of double stick Velcro on the bottom to keep it from swinging. the mono can be, but is difficult to see.

The mono is hung by drilling a tiny hole next to the molding in the above cabinet that is more easily patched later if necessary.

When we bought our current vessel art was hung by screws through all four corners of frames right into the bulkhead so that there would be no movement and no falling off durning a violent beam sea passage or steep chop upwind wind situation.
We did not like the art provided so took it down, replaced in same frame and put back us using the same holes so they are again completely secue.
Why not drill holes and mount securely?
For as long as you own the boat you want the art up, right?
And if you sell, chances are new owner may want art as well and will do what we did.
Have never been afrain to drill a hole for a worthy purpose, especially if it means securing stuff from flying around in rough weather.
As psneeld says above, you (or a new owner) can always patch a hole later.

Attachments

• HB 5194 - Copy.jpg
    HB 5194 - Copy.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The wood Great Lakes map in our pilothouse hangs on four screws with keyhole cuts in the back of the wood map. Neat and very secure, but definitely requires 4 holes in the wall.

Are you actually using VELCRO, the heavy duty stuff? Your comment "Velcro like" sounds like copies which are often not as good.

Are you using enough of the Velcro? Maybe not?

Which part is releasing? Is the velcro letting go of the wall or the art back?

Have you cleaned the wall thoroughly with something like alcohol or a paint thinner and then alcohol ? If there is ANY oily residue from the wood then the Velcro cannot get a lasting grip untill thoroughly cleaned.

I have used 3M VHB, Very High Bond, tape to hang pictures on the bulkhead of a previous boat and they stuck extremely well. We have since sold the boat so I have no idea how it was to get off the bulkhead but there were no screw holes.

I agree that double faced foam tape works very well. It is a real nuisance to get off when you sell the boat -- maybe half an hour of Goo Gone and careful scraping, but if you do that carefully it leaves no trace.

Note, also, that Velcro and Velcro-like products come in different levels of stick to each otherness -- what you might want to hang a large picture will want to be be much hard to get apart than something you want to open or take down frequently.

Jim

I like to use 1 screw to hold the weight and then a couple of command strips to stop the roll.

Thanks all. When I said Velcro-like I was referring to 3M products version of hook and loop. It comes off of wall and pictures. Love the idea of the 3M double sided foam tape as one of the mountings is on a very slight curvature.

Again. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom