Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

City: Lake Macquarie
Over heating

Hi All,
My name is Steve and I have just purchased an Island Gypsy 30, on my first trip and only an hour from the mooring the temperature started to climb up to 200f and after knocking out of gear got down to 180f before shutting her down.
I have been through everything, new impeller, checked the water flow, the heat exchanger and all good, this is the problem the motor will slowly climb in temperature until it starts to push the coolant out around the header tank cap, I removed the thermostat but the problem is still there.
Could it be the exhaust manifold leaking exhaust into the cooling side of the manifold causing pressure and heating the coolant.

IG 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #2

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
With it running look for bubbles in the coolant. Maybe it's just burping the coolant, getting any air out of the cooling system.
200 isn't terribly hot for a diesel. They like to run hot. If it goes much over that you should be worried.
Might get some more specific help if you ID the motor.
Good luck !!

Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Any other symptoms? Hard starting? Excessive smoke? When you say you've checked impellor and heat exchanger and water flow, did you check the tubes in heat exchanger, both ends?

Not a product endorsement (if be interested in views for best product from others - I've used dilute muratic acid but not sure that's a good choice), but here's a video at top of Google search on using Barnacle Buster to flush heat exchanger. Your description sounds like classic symptoms for an occluded heat exchanger.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Guru

BTW - hard for me to imagine this is a blocked exhaust or something on that end, though you may want to check your elbow as part of regular maintenance. I assume you have good raw water flow out the exhaust?
Old 04-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
With it running look for bubbles in the coolant. Maybe it's just burping the coolant, getting any air out of the cooling system.
200 isn't terribly hot for a diesel. They like to run hot. If it goes much over that you should be worried.
Might get some more specific help if you ID the motor.
Good luck !!
OP states he is getting blow-out at radiator cap. A coolant recovery tank may be in order - this could be simple thermal expansion as this response suggests. But would also consider thorough cleaning of tubes in heat exchanger and a good check of exhaust components as they are maintenance items. Assuming the engine is otherwise healthy, these suggestions will very likely solve the problem.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
To me it sounds like a heat exchanger is blocked and should be removed, inspected, and rodded out. An almost exact situation like this happened to me on a trip from Newport Beach to San Diego years ago. It turned out to be the tubes in the heat exchanger were partially blocked with salt water deposits. The OP mentioned that he checked the heat exchanger and I am wondering how he did that. You have to remove the end caps to look for blocked tubes.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #7

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Even if caps have been off and tubes clear, a build up of salts and calcium like materials will insulate the tubes from the sea water.

Once this happens, the ability to transfer heat from the copper tubes to the sea water is greatly reduced.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I’m almost embarrassed to post this photo! I was having slight over heating and removed the heat exchangers after checking exhaust elbows, impellers, etc. The photo speaks for itself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	435F56AF-11B6-49C4-A10A-6D71F790139A.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	101898  
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #9

Hi Guys, Thanks for the reply, the heat exchanger is clean with absolutely no blockages, I have plenty of salt water coming out the side but only a poor amount coming out of the exhaust. I have taken every hose off and followed the salt water flow and it is good.
If the exhaust manifold is leaking hot exhaust into the coolant side of the manifold would this heat the coolant up and pressurise the coolant side...?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #10

I did think it could be a blown head gasket but with the header tank cap off the water is flowing and there is no bubbling, the motor is running fine and sounds goo, I do believe if I keep driving the temp would just keep climbing
Old 04-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Steve,
I recommend a complete off engine servicing of your raw water cooling system components if for no other reason than it is a new to you boat. That means removing heat exchanger, gear oil cooler, aftercooler (probably don't have one, but you didn't specify your engine), etc. If you are not comfortable acid cleaning them your self, take them to a radiator shop. They will clean them, conduct minor repairs as needed, and importantly pressure test them to ensure products don't mix when they shouldn't (identify leaks). You will then have a starting point to work from for future maintenance.
I would also suggest the installation of an exhaust over temp alarm (like the ones from Borel or Aqualarm) and a raw water flow alarm like the one from Aqualarm.
The flow alarm could prevent you from ruining an impeller should you forget to open the thru hull or your intake gets blocked (plastic bag?), and most engine overheats will first show up at the exhaust hose, giving you an early warning thus avoiding the potential of engine damage (could happen by the time coolant overheats). Just another layer of protection and they are not expensive (as boat costs go).
I just noticed you say you are from Lake M. Does that mean this boat is in freshwater? If so, the need for raw water side servicing is obviously less of an issue, but maybe still not a bad idea.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
For about $20.00 you can replace your temp sending unit, then another $20.00 might replace the gauge. Start simple

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #13

Over heating

These symptoms sound eerily like a head gasket leak I had. Everything ran fine except after a few hours it started to blow the coolant out of the expansion tank.
The leak only existed with the engine hot, defied detection by pressure testing and looking for bubbles in the expansion tank, and defied cure by new pressure caps, thermostats, etc. I did not suspect heat exchanger because the coolant returning from the exchanger was very cool. Easy check with IR gun, or in this case was cool enough to check with hand. Raw water flow was huge, and cool coming out of HE.
Finally talked to an old time tractor mechanic who asked “do you have brown scum in the antifreeze?” I did. He explained that the combustion gas from the head gasket leaks into the anti freeze, bringing unburned fuel and oil, which forms a scum on the coolant surface.
Took the head off, and sure enough found a minuscule leakage track on the gasket on top of one liner. New head gasket, end of problem.

Look for scum in expansion tank or overflow bottle.
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #14

Hi Tom, Thanks for the response and your suggestions, I will be going over everything now and replacing or adding new alarm sensors. I have the heat exchanger off at the moment and need to have the end sealed back on.. Im in Australia and Lake Macquarie is a large salt water lake..
Old 04-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #15
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Don't forget, there's 2 sides to cooling. I've fixed a lot of engines for overheating that someone else couldn't and the engine only needed a good coolant flush. Old coolant will allow rust to build on the water jackets and passages, hurting heat transfer.

The coolant with the cap on should have a higher pressure than the exhaust. By your comments, I assume you send some of the exhaust water over the side and not thru the exhaust. So that should indicate you have enough flow but not necessarily adjusted right. But you have a partially plugged exhaust elbow.
A completely filled coolant system should eject some coolant from the cap as the engine heats. Normally an overflow tank catches this and feeds it back to the engine as it cools.

It could be you're over propped for the rpm or a lot of bottom/prop growth. Black smoke would indicate you're working the engine too hard.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Steve,
Good luck tracking down this issue. You have had some good suggestions so far. I never thought of a "salt water" lake. There is one in California called the Salton Sea. You are not far from Sydney I see. I really liked my time in Australia (couple of months) back in 2009. Started in Melbourne in January at the Aussie Open, about 10 days in Sydney, and ended in Brisbane, with a trip up to Townsville and back down the coast. Tassie as well for a week.
Anyway, enjoy your new boat, and here's hoping you get it all "sorted out" without too much pain.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I have seen overheating as a result of biofouling of the through-hull. The cooling water out the stack looked OK, but it was not enough.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I had a similar issue with my NL genset when I first purchased my previous boat. It had great flow on the exhaust so it was not the impeller. Heat exchanger was clean. Turned out to be the engine coolant water pump. Have you checked the temp of your water flowing out the back?it should start at ambient and warm up as your temp gauge increases. If it is not rising then it is not getting the heat out of the motor. That pretty much points to either heat exchanger (which you ruled out) or the engine coolant pump.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #19
Guru

So OP states raw water flow is diminished. This is not caused by a blown head gasket though he may have one now.

Have you checked sea strainer and intake thru hull for occlusion?
Old 04-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #20

City: Norwalk
You said specifically it is pushing "coolant out around the header tank cap" meaning "the cap" as opposed to out the overflow hose- correct? Is there an overflow hose, is there a recover tank? What is the exact engine?

Began is offline   Reply With Quote