Our offer Got accepted! Now what? ‘73 GB 42 Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, you get out what you put in. No where in the original post do you mention a survey or a surveyor. But feel free to giggle at people trying to help you despite your lack of information. :angel:

Giggling at myself.

Peter - I’m located in the south Puget Sound area. I know for a fact that some marinas in my area will not haul-out a wood boat. Haven’t heard of anyone being turned away just for moorage. That being said most marinas want to see your insurance, and not all insurance companies want to take on a wood boat.

Matt

The owner of the boat used to own the yard where it's being hauled out for survey, so that's not an issue.

Working on the marina questions here locally this morning.

Whew, now I can stop talking myself in and then out of this boat :angel:

Is there any truth to marinas not allowing wood boats? I was (potentially) looking at early GBs and was concerned when I read this....although I was unable to "fact check" this comment...

This also isn't a "fact checked" statement, but having considered a few wooden boats, here is my feeling: If I were going to buy a wooden boat, I would like it to be in one of the "wooden-boat-positive" geographical locations. These are locations that have active wooden boat communities, both owners and tradespeople.

Examples in the US would be NW Washington and Maine. If not one of those places, then at least a location with a really active wooden boat yard (hopefully combined with a marina). Example: Beatons in New Jersey.

Not that one couldn't have a wooden boat in other places (many do); but I think that would make it easier and any negative rules would take longer to arrive.

Thinking good thoughts for you! I have been drooling over that boat for months :flowers: "Unfortunately," I have fiberglassing experience but not wooden boat experience, so in a practical sense, I'm trapped with fiberglass.

Last edited:

This also isn't a "fact checked" statement, but having considered a few wooden boats, here is my feeling: If I were going to buy a wooden boat, I would like it to be in one of the "wooden-boat-positive" geographical locations. These are locations that have active wooden boat communities, both owners and tradespeople.

Examples in the US would be NW Washington and Maine. If not one of those places, then at least a location with a really active wooden boat yard (hopefully combined with a marina). Example: Beatons in New Jersey.

Not that one couldn't have a wooden boat in other places (many do); but I think that would make it easier and any negative rules would take longer to arrive.

Thinking good thoughts for you! I have been drooling over that boat for months :flowers: "Unfortunately," I have fiberglassing experience but not wooden boat experience, so in a practical sense, I'm trapped with fiberglass.
Glad I could help reduce the stress in your life.

Sincerely hope the surveys go well. Gorgeous boat! I am so jealous.

Well Frosty, time to start drooling again.

We weren't able to come to a final deal.

She is a gorgeous boat and if she was in Portland instead of the San Juans the deal would probably have worked. She'll need a bit of work but it's all seems very doable stuff. Just time and money.

If any one is interested I have a survey on her.

Take care

Is there any truth to marinas not allowing wood boats? I was (potentially) looking at early GBs and was concerned when I read this....although I was unable to "fact check" this comment...

I have seen at least one marina in the Merrimack River that specifically said no wooden boats.

Ken

I've owned wooden boats and they are fraught! They're beautiful but Beware! A lot of surveryors won't even do a wood boat survey. Many marinas don't allow them. I had a wooden sailboat and when I put it up for sale the office said they wouldn't allow the new owner to keep the boat there. I had 4 years of perfect ontime payments and no leaks or problems. Does help your sale pitch. They simply didn't want a wooden boat there. Banks won't typically loan on them Most of the yards here won't haul a woody out unless they know you and the boat. Resale difficult Someone already said it, pull as many fastners as the owner will allow. Saw some of the fasteners in half. Inspect/diagnose. Even with that, wood rot is insideous and extremely difficult to locate unless it's obvious. I've been around a few shipwrights and they both feel you don't know where the rot is until you start taking her apart. If I was going to buy that boat I'd much rather hire a real shipwright than some surveyor. Real shipwrights are a dying breed. Not easy to find. Maintenance on a woody can get discouring too. Neglect them for a year and you may end up with firewood. Oh, they also leak, they're supposed to. Unless you really have a passion for wooden boats...well, you know. I say all of this as a woody addict with no intention of entering rehab.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom