Not an FPB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to learning the twins, just think of it as a pair of singles tied together with opposite prop walk. So you get effects like this: port fwd turns to stbd, but walks the stern to port. Stbd fwd is the opposite. And like with a single, reverse while moving forward will slide the stern sideways and turn the boat.

Not only that, if you add in some rudder, you can move the boat perfectly sideways off the dock in benign conditions.

Here's our boat doing just that:

https://youtu.be/V82z7IeqnIs

Last edited:
Any docking were nobody gets hurts and there’s no structural damage is a good one. ��.
Boat I referenced had daggerboards so nearly nothing in the water, weighed nothing being all CF and had a fair bit of windage. Also saildrives with folding props.
Don’t worry....be happy.
She’s a sweet craft.

Delivery to closing site complete

The sellers have arrived to San Carlos where we will close early next week.
It was around 900 nm from Z-Town to Guaymas which I asked them to do.
They wanted to fit in two little windows between bigger northerlies in the Sea so split in two legs. It looks like the average was around 15.5 kn, running around 1750 rpm, burning around 17 gpm.
Not the sweet spot for efficiency but what an inspiring capability into what looks like an average of 9-16 kn wind mostly on the nose but sometimes port fore quarter.
They sent a few videos underway and it looks like just a sweetheart of a ride.

Stoked!

Sounds awesome! I am so excited to live vicariously through your adventure! I hope you post often. Ever since you first posted I've been reading Domino's blog and everything else I can find about long range cats. She sounds absolutely amazing! Congrats.

Klee, perhaps I missed this key item but how big is Domino?

Nothing like having your props 20 feet apart to aid maneuvering.
However very few more comfortable boats at anchor than a large cat so why tie up?
Great point. Why would you want to..?

Hey, Darkside, I've cruised the Bay of Islands, but a fair few years ago now. Can you work out just where that photo was taken..? (post https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/not-fpb-56262.html#14) Just wondering - and dreaming about a happy time spent there... :)

Last edited:
Looks like an "angry" boat. :eek: :flowers:

Jeez, love that tender! You can tell it was designed by real cruisers out there doing the cruising thing..A very different small craft,love it!

Peter B my guess is Urapukapuka.
Good scallops not far behind Domino in your pic.
BOI1.JPG
For those that follow fishing Zane Grey used to hang out at Otehei Bay a while back

Hauled just now in Guaymas.
Can you believe she floats on that??!

Attachments

• received_274337747540429.jpg
    received_274337747540429.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
I think that is key to the nice ride. Most hulls - even cats - don't have that ratio of immersed volume to waterplane area. That ratio greatly affects pitch and heave. It's why North Sea oil platforms are designed that way.

I've been following the inspirational Domino blog for years. What a great boat, and congrats on your purchase!

In the end, what put me off that one and onto the powercat was the 'not at cruise' platform that it represents.

We are half way through a 55' powercat build. Like you, I expect we'll being spending a lot of time on the hook, and we like lots of space, so that is what lead us to settle on a multihull platform.

I've been following the inspirational Domino blog for years. What a great boat, and congrats on your purchase!

We are half way through a 55' powercat build. Like you, I expect we'll being spending a lot of time on the hook, and we like lots of space, so that is what lead us to settle on a multihull platform.

Wow! How cool. What are the chances of that!? Domino will have a home port about 30 minutes from the city listed in your avatar. With as few long range cats as there are in the Eastern Pacific, that two of them may be neighbors is a long shot.
I will look forward to more information on yours when you are ready.
Where is she being built?
Where will you cruise her?
Where will you keep her?

Good luck and good for you!

the city listed in your avatar

Er, that'd be the Abbotsford in Sydney, Australia (I should probably change that).

Where is she being built?
Where will you cruise her?
Where will you keep her?

She is a Howard Apollonio design being built by Granocean (yard is in China). We will be full time liveaboards. Our original plan was to start in the Bahamas, but with COVID intervening we will now start by doing a lap around Australia. Hopefully after that the Pacific will have opened up so we can head over the ditch to NZ and beyond that island hoping throughout the South Pacific, Indo Pacific and eventually the Med, Caribbean and the Great Loop.

The more I look at Domino, the more I like her. I think I was in the camp of people who just kinda blinked at you when you first mentioned you were thinking about buying her, but it wasn't because I thought you'd lost your marbles. I just hadn't had the imagination to think in that particular direction before, so it seemed to come out of left field. Now that I think about it, she fits in with your style really well. She's unique, attractive in a salty and purposeful way, built like a brick outhouse, and a very well thought out and effective tool for a specific job. I think she's gonna be a great cruising platform for you.

To paraphrase from something a wise man once told me: 'Domino is proper. Well done, young man.'

Peter B my guess is Urapukapuka.
Good scallops not far behind Domino in your pic.
View attachment 114830
For those that follow fishing Zane Grey used to hang out at Otehei Bay a while back
I think you're right, and if memory serves, we anchored in about that very spot, and filled our water tank at the jetty there. But that was Jan. 1988. We brought the boat over here to Brisbane in 1989. Sorry, hijack over...:flowers:

Last edited:
Congratulations! I, like many here have followed the blog of the original owners. I also follow their posts on Facebook. Impressive people with an impressive boat. Hard to believe they are giving up cruising to move to The Villages in FL of all places if I understand correctly. But that's another story for another day I guess.

I was also curious why it took so long to sell. I agree with your assessments. I also think it was short a stateroom given the size. But it's a beautiful boat with much nicer lines than some other Tennant powercats I've seen on the market. Please keep us posted on your journey. Glad the boat has found a good home. It has a great pedigree.

Congratulations - I have been following and lusting after Domino for a while — I just could not get passed her layout— I wanted the second stateroom to be more substantial than the bunk arrangement she has (it may be perfect though) and while I haven’t nt owned a boat longer the 36’, I have built a classic car or 2 and was worried that if I bought the boat with the idea of straight off changing her to what I think I need and want — it would rapidly spin out of control in both time and money.
Are you planning on changing any of their layout? She is in a class by herself from what I can see. Congratulations!

Congratulations - I have been following and lusting after Domino for a while — I just could not get passed her layout— I wanted the second stateroom to be more substantial than the bunk arrangement she has (it may be perfect though) and while I haven’t nt owned a boat longer the 36’, I have built a classic car or 2 and was worried that if I bought the boat with the idea of straight off changing her to what I think I need and want — it would rapidly spin out of control in both time and money.
Are you planning on changing any of their layout? She is in a class by herself from what I can see. Congratulations!

Great question, and gets at the core of 'why Domino' for us.
First, the physical reason that Domino is configured this way with spartan guest quarters: Up this string you can see how the ama were designed to have total immersed volume with strikingly little water plane. I agree completely with DDW on this. If you want unparalleled efficiency especially at speed, and comfort in the ride at this beam, you must accept the narrow ama. Narrow ama mean smaller guest quarters, no way around that.
Now then, why is that OK for us, and perhaps not others? Use case, or what is important to this boat buyer.
First, I am always going to more concerned about the quality of my surroundings when I am awake and conscious than when I am sleeping. I go to a stateroom to sleep and am not concerned much about my surroundings there except that the bed is comfortable enough. I am a good sleeper, especially on the water.
Domino has a great helm area and an awesome back porch, which combined, is where I expect to spend most of my conscious hours. Decent galley, moderate to poor head situation. I love the fact that in the master stateroom, which for us seems ample, the first thing you will see when you open your eyes is the sea, directly out the sizeable windows on the main level. Priceless.
Since near 98% of time overnight will not include guests when we are on board, the compromise that is the guest quarters is not much of a compromise. When we do have guests of a dear nature, it would be likely of us to offer them the master while we sleep downstairs. No hardship.
I walked away from a boat with 3 massive staterooms including the lower level master, to buy Domino. Eyes wide open. Half of that vessels interior volume was staterooms and we thought that was why we were looking at her. In the end, no thanks. Sea keeping, efficiency, solid well found systems, and fun on deck were a much higher priority. Did I mention fun on deck while stationary?
Domino wins hands down.

I agree with you and I struggled with that— When we built our house we live in now- I told my wife we only wanted 2 bedrooms and since we moved out to the boonies, I have told others who live in the neighborhood we used to live in that I wouldn’t have a house with 4+ bedrooms again. It doesn’t make sense to me to buy a house and require it to have 1-2 guest bedrooms plus an office when you only have guest 1-2 times per year in our case. Like some whop wait till the kids leave the house and then build a huge house when its only the 2 of them 99% of the time. Here at the ranch, we have guests all the time— but most stay in the guest house, or if we need to we can bunk every one in the main house as kids can be comfortable anywhere. So I completely get your point — for some reason, probably lack of cruising experience- I was hung up on the lack of quarters and a second head — I am prob not significantly different than a lot of others and thats why she was on the market for so long. One thing is for certain— I havent seen another power boat that can do what she can do at the speed she can do it coupled with that amount of space anywhere else other than a mega yacht and then in my book it isn’t apples to apples. You got a great deal— great power, unreal range, well built and purpose built for a couples cruising mission — one of a kind — I am jealous— I cant tell you how many times I looked at the pic of her on the hard and thought about calling my buddy who has a plane and making a trip. I watched another couple’s video who went to see her and ultimately passed, and bought a Nordhavn motor sailor. I am new here and looking at Domino and reading the blog and seeing here construction is whats got me stuck on a cat. It might not even be the right boat for my mission— but I sure would be sorry if it wasn’t — lol —Nice Job! I am really looking forward to seeing pics and reports from you— what are your plans? Where are you gonna go?

Are you selling the Klee Wyck and Libra?

Both are listed, but we will only sell one, and then keep one. We are pretending to be agnostic about which.:socool:

Both are listed, but we will only sell one, and then keep one. We are pretending to be agnostic about which.:socool:

If you're only pretending, then be honest with us, which one is really the better boat?

If you're only pretending, then be honest with us, which one is really the better boat?

Depends upon which one of us you ask. Really.
No way to lose.
I am so impressed with the ultimate stability of LIBRA, but KLEE WYCK is 'finer'.
As is true with DOMINO, every vessel is a compromise. Both KLEE and LIBRA are excellent boats and I will miss whichever one turns up missing.

Still your new one is a most remarkable vessel. A very effective and desirable platform for your future endeavors. All the best.

Er, that'd be the Abbotsford in Sydney, Australia (I should probably change that).

She is a Howard Apollonio design being built by Granocean (yard is in China). We will be full time liveaboards. Our original plan was to start in the Bahamas, but with COVID intervening we will now start by doing a lap around Australia. Hopefully after that the Pacific will have opened up so we can head over the ditch to NZ and beyond that island hoping throughout the South Pacific, Indo Pacific and eventually the Med, Caribbean and the Great Loop.

Maybe we can tag along - 50' aluminium powercat that will (soonish!) be in Port Kembla. Covid changed our plans of touring Europe and the French canals, so we'll start with Oz and our southern bros too in NZ. We can get Norm (from Old Dudes on YT) as well as other powercats and have some outings...

Great question, and gets at the core of 'why Domino' for us.
First, the physical reason that Domino is configured this way with spartan guest quarters: Up this string you can see how the ama were designed to have total immersed volume with strikingly little water plane. I agree completely with DDW on this. If you want unparalleled efficiency especially at speed, and comfort in the ride at this beam, you must accept the narrow ama. Narrow ama mean smaller guest quarters, no way around that.
Now then, why is that OK for us, and perhaps not others? Use case, or what is important to this boat buyer.
First, I am always going to more concerned about the quality of my surroundings when I am awake and conscious than when I am sleeping. I go to a stateroom to sleep and am not concerned much about my surroundings there except that the bed is comfortable enough. I am a good sleeper, especially on the water.
Domino has a great helm area and an awesome back porch, which combined, is where I expect to spend most of my conscious hours. Decent galley, moderate to poor head situation. I love the fact that in the master stateroom, which for us seems ample, the first thing you will see when you open your eyes is the sea, directly out the sizeable windows on the main level. Priceless.
Since near 98% of time overnight will not include guests when we are on board, the compromise that is the guest quarters is not much of a compromise. When we do have guests of a dear nature, it would be likely of us to offer them the master while we sleep downstairs. No hardship.
I walked away from a boat with 3 massive staterooms including the lower level master, to buy Domino. Eyes wide open. Half of that vessels interior volume was staterooms and we thought that was why we were looking at her. In the end, no thanks. Sea keeping, efficiency, solid well found systems, and fun on deck were a much higher priority. Did I mention fun on deck while stationary?
Domino wins hands down.

Congratulations. If we could have afforded her, we would have bought her. I note she has a 15:1 LB ratio which shows in her underwater width as well as efficiency: fantastic. We are happy with our 12:1 of course :flowers:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom