Must see Marinas in Southern Cal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w8n4sun

Vessel Name
Mabuhay
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan
I'll be in the Irvine area next month and would like to visit a few marinas, any locals have recommendations? Any other must do or see recommendations? Thanks

What are you looking to do? Walk the docks and look at boats? Or are you looking for a slip for your boat? If the latter are you willing to pay the freight for Newport Beach or similar. Or are you looking for low cost? Liveaboard or not?

It all depends. We could recommend dozens of marinas to look at and miss the mark without further guidance.

I lived in Newport Beach for ten years but kept my boat in Long Beach. Long Beach was less than half the cost of Newport Harbor.

David

Good point, just want to walk around a look at nice marinas and boats.

Plan to spend at minimum a full day in Newport harbor.
You can even rent an electric boat and cruise in style.
San Diego has a lot to offer as does Dana Point - home to Nordhavn.
I would have suggested my old 'home' of Al Larson Marina but you said 'nice'!

Electric boating around Newport, that sounds intriguing.

Ok, if you just want to walk around and see boats, drive down to Balboa Island (down Jamboree Road from Irvine) and walk around the island. There will be hundreds and hundreds of boats on finger piers sticking out from the shore. The road around Balboa is in front of all of the houses so the boats are right in front of you.

There are several nice restaurants on Marine Ave or take the ferry over to the peninsula to the west of BI where you will find more restaurants.

If you want to see a concentration of boats in a marina, try Balboa Basin Yacht Club on the north side of Balboa Island. But I like the walk around the island on a nice day.

Yes, you can rent a Duffy electric powered 20'er or so. A couple of hours will let you cruise all of Newport Harbor. There are several hundred moored boats that you can see up close. See https://www.duffyofnewportbeach.com

David

Thank you both for your feedback. It's a large area and this helps narrowing down which marinas will be fun to walk around and compare to my homeport.

So Cal Marinas

Good point, just want to walk around a look at nice marinas and boats.

You can't beat Oceanside Marina. Several bars, restaurants, shops all around the marina. Nice ambience. One of my favorite in So Cal.

Balboa Island is a favorite as well as Lido Island, visit Basin Marine Shipyard and Newport Harbor Shipyard.

Dana Point is the best small boat Harbor on the coast.

Back
Top Bottom